• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

2008 Presidential Election - Obama v McCain (3 Viewers)

Who would you vote for?

• Barrack Obama

Votes: 380 76.0%
  • John Mccain

Votes: 120 24.0%

• Total voters

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Captain Hero said:
Obama's roast absolutely pwned McCain. AIG jokes, seeing the russian tea room, everything.

Pwnnnnnnned.
Lol really? I thought McCain clearly, surprisingly, stole the show. The tone towards the end of Obama's was, strangely, too religous

atreus

HSC
chicky_pie said:
Yeah it is quite sad, imagine her in the Liberal party here, she'd be a laughing stock, lol.
wasn't the liberal frontbench calling for sarah palin one day in parliament?

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
I would never trust a Muslim in the White House.

Edit: Just watched McCains speech, was bloody funny too. Just as good as Obama IMO.

Last edited:

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
Iron said:
Obama's was, strangely, too religous
I was wondering this too until I checked the Al E. Smith Dinner wiki page. this is why obama is the political genius of the century, so far; his superhuman ability to pander when it counts.

slickstar_01

Banned
HSC
Unfortunately, when push comes to shove, I still get a cynical feeling that, no matter what the latest polls say, a majority of white Americans will not pull that lever for Obama, when its just them - in the booth - with noone else watching.

Its an interesting physcological study. People, rationally, know its time for a change. Even many of those who voted for Bush twice over know this by now

And rationally, people know that, of the 2 candidates, Obama - with his more interesting background, opposition to war in Iraq, an expressed willingness to talk to Iran etc before attacking, is the better option for change.

So expressing this view semi-publically, even if only to a pollster, is ok. It tallies with your average American's rational beliefs.

But in the privacy of the polling booth, irrational beliefs can take over. The fears, the prejudices, etc, etc. Once you register your vote - its too late. You can't take it back.

Don't underestimate American ignorance. all these polls may come back to bite Obama in the butt.

but at the end of the day, when November the (when the fuck is the election day?) the world will change. America may have the first black president which may prove me wrong about American ignorance after all. but either way, if McCain wins, thew world will see a McSame with the biggest bimbo as a VP in the history of USA.

Last edited:

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
I'm not ready to underestimate the American people. The man running the polling for Bradley's opponent said there was no Bradley effect; his campaigns internals were much closer than the official polling suggested - and the official polls were giving Bradley the lead by only +2.

Captin gay

Supremacist.
HSC
The right is now whinging about Obama's tax plan and "spreading the wealth".

How the FUCK do they expect two wars to be funded? Do they want the middle-class to rot to the ground?

Aryanbeauty

HSC
slickstar_01 said:
Unfortunately, when push comes to shove, I still get a cynical feeling that, no matter what the latest polls say, a majority of white Americans will not pull that lever for Obama, when its just them - in the booth - with noone else watching.

Its an interesting physcological study. People, rationally, know its time for a change. Even many of those who voted for Bush twice over know this by now

And rationally, people know that, of the 2 candidates, Obama - with his more interesting background, opposition to war in Iraq, an expressed willingness to talk to Iran etc before attacking, is the better option for change.

So expressing this view semi-publically, even if only to a pollster, is ok. It tallies with your average American's rational beliefs.

But in the privacy of the polling booth, irrational beliefs can take over. The fears, the prejudices, etc, etc. Once you register your vote - its too late. You can't take it back.

Don't underestimate American ignorance. all these polls may come back to bite Obama in the butt.

but at the end of the day, when November the (when the fuck is the election day?) the world will change. America may have the first black president which may prove me wrong about American ignorance after all. but either way, if McCain wins, thew world will see a McSame with the biggest bimbo as a VP in the history of USA.
Who are you to call Americans ignorant while your 3rd world poor trash country just elected a lunatic with known mental illness as a President.

slickstar_01

Banned
HSC
Aryanbeauty said:
Who are you to call Americans ignorant while your 3rd world poor trash country just elected a lunatic with known mental illness as a President.
its not my country you dick shit. just the way Israel and the United states isnt yours.

slickstar_01

Banned
HSC
hey guys, you know in Australia, the day we vote we usually find out on the same night who won the election, how many days would we have to wait to find out the US results?

Last edited:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
slickstar_01 said:
hey guys, you know in Australia, the day we vote we usually find out on the same night who won the election, how many days would we have to wait to find out the US results?
The networks will probably call it early on the night for Obama. The results for the east start coming in while the west is still voting, but this doesnt really matter because the big swings are east. 2000 was extremely close and hung on the Supreme court decision on Florida several days later, while 04 was also very close and Kerry only conceeded about 11am the next day when Ohio was definately gone. But this election looks like landslide territory now.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
"My frenz...we've got them right where we want them!!!"

Poor John.

If only they had more substance going for them than attacks on Obama, and folksy talk.

It's obvious that Obama isn't retaliating with the attacks, and is using them instead to clarify his positions. Although McCain doing this, takes focus off what he wants to achieve.

He can't win voters with his policies, and he can't win them with attacks on Obama. It doesn't look pretty.

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
Iron said:
There's no a lot that can happen now. McCain died in the debate - probably a stalemate, but he basically needed to knock Obama unconscious. Das Kreig ist verloren!

I feel a little better about this since reading the epic rollingstones article swiftboating McCain... Maaybe he his a bit dangerous.
I still hold deep reservations about Obama'd weakness and tight media management concealing his true identity. He'll likely be bullied at home and abroad and probably leave a legacy of failed policy at a time when successful leadership is absolutely vital, especially on climate change. He also wont be much good for a dinky little colonial outpost like Australia
I hope i'm wrong.
Either way, he cant do much worse than the last guy.
If you feel that way, it's worth reading this: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...-after-warnings-about-a-terrorist-attack.html

The key thing to remember is that whatever reservations you have about Obama, you need to weigh them with what power he actually has. Too many people have a perception of America's President which gives him a disproportionate amount of power.

But Obama will have people like Colin Powell, Hillary Clinton, etc helping to run things behind the scenes - be they the health cabinet or the pentagon. We'd be fools if we truly thought Bush single-handedly demolished America. America's recent failings are far more products of his cabinet and his party's ideology than his own personal failings (numerous as they are).

In other news, Colin Powell just endorsed Obama whilst simultaneously expressing his concern about the right-wing trend in the direction of his own party and McCain's impotent presidential campaign.

Captain Hero said:
Everyone vote for Bob Barr.
Bob Barr is more economically and socially right-wing than John McCain. He's not a libertarian at all; he's a typical authoritarian right-wing conservative.

McCain would be 10 times better.

Still, I like Bob Barr - he steals votes from McCain in key swing states. (Yeah, I know - America's first-past-the-post system is terrible).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)