• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

2008 Presidential Election - Obama v McCain (2 Viewers)

Who would you vote for?

• Barrack Obama

Votes: 380 76.0%
  • John Mccain

Votes: 120 24.0%

• Total voters

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
fucking lol @ these americans
'do you think obama is an islamic plant'
'um well i dont think he is, but there's a small percentage chance he could be'

lol the fuck did this country become a super power

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
possibly a muslim plant???

cant say yes but possible

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
Iron said:
Money IS power, read a book, it has always been so.
Money should not dictate living conditions or laws. This is why we have having things like universal welfare and universal healthcare; because what's best for corporations is not what's best for citizens.

Do you believe that a person's worth is measured by their wealth and power?

It reflects success in giving the people what they want. Government LOOOOOOoooVES talking to these guys because they too want to know how to make the people happy.
No, corporations don't know how to make people happy, they know how to make money.

Those people, btw, are cattle like you, chewing the cudd with heavy eyes and short vision, busy mooing and stinking of shit to create anything original themselves.
So you think businesses should have power over people because they are cattle?

Im not sure why youre trying to interpret America as a communist regime, but it's not funny.
It's not communism, it's corporate capitalism. Why are you bringing up communism?

Ok, seriously, drop it now. Drop itttttt. K?
You're free to stop any time you like.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
katie tully said:
lol @ mccain becoming a national hero coz he refused his captors offer to be released early

that
is
just
stupidity
Why? He didnt abandon his mates and refused giving the enemy a propaganda victory

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Universal welfare actually isn't any good for anyone.

Edit: Unless you're a bludger.

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
Riet said:
And? The board of directors has a duty to the stockholders to lobby for what most benefits them.
I don't disagree with that. But their lobbying power should not be based on how powerful their business is. And what they lobby for is not in the best interests of citizens; it's in the best interests of making money for the stockholders, who comprise a very small subset of citizens.

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
Riet said:
Universal welfare actually isn't any good for anyone.

Edit: Unless you're a bludger.
Universal workfare is because it promotes upwards movement in socioeconomic classes via upskilling and employment while maintaining a safety net for them until they have the means to get by on their own (and nobody is saying the system is perfectly efficient). This is good for the economy as a whole as it increases consumption and growth. But that's a different topic.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Iron said:
Why? He didnt abandon his mates and refused giving the enemy a propaganda victory
Stupidity.

Saving face because he knew he as a gung-ho maverick and it was his fault he got captured. :)

Last edited:

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
Kwayera said:
Just overheard on the news that Obama got 60% of the pre-poll vote (23 million people).
Whoa... how did they test that? A poll or did they actually count up the votes?

impervious182

HSC
Trefoil said:
Whoa... how did they test that? A poll or did they actually count up the votes?
Obama was always expected to be going well in the early votes. The votes haven't been counted, what Kaylara or whatever the username is meant, is that 60% were registered Democrats voting early. 30% were registered Republicans... 10% unknown... at least that's how I interpreted it.

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
alexdore993 said:
Obama was always expected to be going well in the early votes. The votes haven't been counted, what Kaylara or whatever the username is meant, is that 60% were registered Democrats voting early. 30% were registered Republicans... 10% unknown... at least that's how I interpreted it.
Yeah I thought about that, but a bunch of states don't release information about party breakdown (presumably so as not to influence the election), so I think either it's an estimate or a final tally (in which case, I think it's wrong to release it yet).

Also, I certainly wasn't expecting him to go well in early voting. That's traditionally Republican territory.

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
jb_nc said:
Of 23,298,564 total in-person and mail-in ballots in 25 states, at least 6,057,527 -- or 26 percent -- were cast by Democrats or Republicans, according to election officials. Of that 6 million, 57.8 percent were Democrats, and 42.2 percent were Republicans

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/31/early.voting/index.html
Ahh, thanks. That's effectively meaningless, then, since it doesn't tell us anything about how Independents voted.

Though I suppose it is still interesting because Democrats far outnumber Republicans in early voting, which is a significant role reversal.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Trefoil said:
Universal workfare is because it promotes upwards movement in socioeconomic classes via upskilling and employment while maintaining a safety net for them until they have the means to get by on their own (and nobody is saying the system is perfectly efficient). This is good for the economy as a whole as it increases consumption and growth. But that's a different topic.
how does giving people money encourage employment?

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
Riet said:
how does giving people money encourage employment?
Look up our welfare system. Canada and Australia have a different one to most of Europe; Howard introduced reforms that require recipients to actively be seeking employment or education.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)