2009 Raw marks. (1 Viewer)

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
OMG That sucks!!!!!!!! we're not robots!

You have to write it now so they are assuming that by 2012 most kids will be competent enough to type their responses in the same amount of time - at least those teachers I have spoken to who have also heard this say that is what they are assuming - particularly as the first group will be the ones who have had the 'free' laptops for a number of years by then.

helper

HSC
N/A
There is a number of things under discussion with typing. It probably will not be for all subjects.
Last I heard it will be an option and you will take responsibility if your computer crashes during the exam.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
It's a good way to integrate more technology into the environment, but I'm quite sure kids these days with all their messenger and technology can capably make a word document for an essay or report... They get better each generation.

I think I would like this change to some extent. There is the problem though that I sometimes tend to make mistakes while typing and although I do screen-type for most part, I do have to look down a couple of times depending on the words that I'm writing (and with that, comes the errors).

Let's see if it happens.

ATAR_boy

HSC
It's a good way to integrate more technology into the environment, but I'm quite sure kids these days with all their messenger and technology can capably make a word document for an essay or report... They get better each generation.

I think I would like this change to some extent. There is the problem though that I sometimes tend to make mistakes while typing and although I do screen-type for most part, I do have to look down a couple of times depending on the words that I'm writing (and with that, comes the errors).

Let's see if it happens.
It should happen but the HSC is traditionally 'pen and paper' exams, and if students are allowed to use a laptop, then where is the stress and panic involved? :speechless:

Thecorey0

HSC

Thecorey0

HSC

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
I personally don't think doing the HSC on computers is a good idea.

There's no way computers will be appropriate for anything that requires a calculation or uses symbols so it is only really appropriate for subjects like English and History.

The problem with using computers for examination for subjects like English or History is that the student has no incentive to work on his or her handwriting skills and thus their writing speed and legibility declines. Also, when it comes to university exams (which at the moment are handwritten with no proposed changes), that luxury of having a computer in an exam is diminished.

Considering the Board has to block access to everything including internet, spelling/grammar check etc, prevent hackers from infiltrating these blocks or using spyware, as well as ensure that the computers work at the same speed (no computer must lag!) and must work smoothly at all times to ensure a fair examination, would be a nightmare and I reckon it would be way too expensive and ineffective to implement.

I mean, there must be computer access to EVERYONE who takes an exam (that makes potentially 70 000 computers that need to be up, secure and perfectly working for the English exams) but since it's only used the most for English (much less people do other subjects like History), all that effort and cost to get them all running smoothly with very tight security would be almost redundant after the English exams are done lol

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)