2010 Accounting Graduate Programs (1 Viewer)

Loz_metalhead

HSC
Well it's that time of year to try and secure a graduate job. I am in the process of trying to decide on what divisions to apply to. I have heard not to go into audit because it's incredibly boring and you wont learn anything...

So where is everyone applying and have you gotten any responses to your applications yet?

John0

HSC
Im applying for summer vac programs for 2009-2010 period still waiting for a response but im not expecting to hear anything until the application process closes early April. ive done some of the apps for the big 4 still need to finish 2 of them though. Choosing what division/service line was the toughest part imo. good luck everyone.

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
lol audit probably gives you the most exposure and you certainly will learn a lot, not just about auditing but how your clients operate (ie. certain accounting practices and what not). plus you work with the CFO's and accountants of some of Australia's largest companies

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
If you want to go into forensics, what are opportunities like? Where would you apply? Or would you definitely do audit + CA then switch into forensics (Obviously learning audit is a major pre-req for forensics??)

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
btw, most of the applications have no closing dates so get in early.

Pace_T

HSC
audit is incredibly boring. you sit there and check invoices all day. i work in a small chartered firm so i get exposure to many divisions, and let me tell you.. you dont know how boring audit really is until you get into another division. atm im doing a few tax research/planning projects and these are SO much more exciting!

also, grads don't necessarily need audit experience to get into forensics. i personally know someone who jumped straight into forensics at an insolvency/turn around type of chartered firm. so dont think its impossible, try it out!

Loz_metalhead

HSC
I have an assessment day with Deloitte tomorrow. Did anyone else get invited to attend this?

La Divina

maxin' and relaxin'
HSC
did the grad apps close before the vaccie ones, for deloitte that is

-Anfernee-

HSC
I want to apply for goverrnment graduate programs but the problem is that most of them are based in Canberra. Is there any way around this? cos I don't fancy living there at all.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Anyone here work for KPMG?

Need more info about Middle Market Advisory vs Audit.

blue_chameleon

HSC
There are two Audit divisions: FS and Audit 2.

I'm guessing you have looked here already:
KPMG > Services > Audit
KPMG > Services > Middle Market Advisory
Thanks for that, but yeah I have been through the website and read the links you posted in addition to the grad related information.

I was just looking for more of a personal account of what working in these business divisions are like, pro's/con's of the grad programs in these units etc. Moreso for MMA, because I have a fair grasp of Audit.

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
I want to apply for goverrnment graduate programs but the problem is that most of them are based in Canberra. Is there any way around this? cos I don't fancy living there at all.
do the 2 years in Canberra then get shipped overseas

paperpromises

HSC
That was my problem with the government programs too... the Treasury program seemed so good except it requires you to relocate to Canberra. Speaking to the lady from Treasury at our careers fair, she said they were really good about helping you get settled etc. but still... that doesn't change the fact that you do have to live there xD

What about state government?

MochiGirl15

HSC
For KPMG MMA and Audit, I don't work at KPMG, but my boyfriend has been a cadet at KPMG for a while (moving onto a Senior when he grads end of this year) and from what I heard from him, MMA is Audit, but focused on mid/smaller clients where as Audit focuses on a broader range of clients that may not be specifically in a certain industry or line. (eg: IT Adivisory may pretty much be IT Audit but they audit the security systems of clients)

Hope that helps.

Also, just did the Advisory online test for PwC. One word: Nightmare (or 2 words: Epic Fail)

blue_chameleon

HSC
There are two Audit divisions: FS and Audit 2.

I'm guessing you have looked here already:
KPMG > Services > Audit
KPMG > Services > Middle Market Advisory
For KPMG MMA and Audit, I don't work at KPMG, but my boyfriend has been a cadet at KPMG for a while (moving onto a Senior when he grads end of this year) and from what I heard from him, MMA is Audit, but focused on mid/smaller clients where as Audit focuses on a broader range of clients that may not be specifically in a certain industry or line. (eg: IT Adivisory may pretty much be IT Audit but they audit the security systems of clients)

Hope that helps.

Also, just did the Advisory online test for PwC. One word: Nightmare (or 2 words: Epic Fail)
Huy's comment makes a lot more sense now. I didn't realise MMA was an extension of audit.

:eek:

paperpromises

HSC
Oh really? I was invited for testing yesterday for Advisory (Economics) at PwC - vac work but I think they're the same tests? Didn't end up doing it because I'd accepted an offer from KPMG already. I think the HR lady was a bit miffed when I told her I was withdrawing my application :p

Which area in Advisory are you applying for? :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)