2011 University cut offs (1 Viewer)

vincent3g

A member
HSC
i dun think the uac thingy is correct

someone with 99.55 got into unsw law
when the supposed cut off was 99.65???
Did they have bonus points?
like UNSW, even for law, gives bonus points for Duke of Ed and elite performers. So even just 1 point would be enough

mecramarathon

HSC
nope he's just a standard applicant

LAW doesn't have bonus points lol

Last edited:

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Did they have bonus points?
like UNSW, even for law, gives bonus points for Duke of Ed and elite performers. So even just 1 point would be enough
Bonus points are meant to be included in the very lowest cut-off, but that person with 99.55 may well have gotten points from a subject which certainly could have pushed them over the line. The people with lower ATARs such as 95.55 could still even get in based on the fact there are bonus points up for grabs.

Just in the same way, Griffith thinks I have an ATAR > 99.60. It's my fauxATAR

NewiJapper

HSC
I know someone with an ATAR of 94 flat that with 5 bonus points with the AAA scheme got an offer for law @ UNSW? :/ So confuzzled at that haha

chefman21

HSC
N/A
I know someone with an ATAR of 94 flat that with 5 bonus points with the AAA scheme got an offer for law @ UNSW? :/ So confuzzled at that haha
The image conscious universities are inflating their marks again me thinks...

UTSjournalism

HSC
N/A
Hi folks,
I look after the undergraduate journalism program at UTS. Our ATAR dropped this year because we offered many more places, in response to the demand by applicants. Over the past five years, we have seen a significant increase in students wanting to do journalism or a journalism combined degree; and this year, the university agreed to let us take more students. However, this morning I hear there has been quite a high take-up rate already so I don't think we will be offering second round.
More importantly, I don't think success in journalism is about ATARs.
Hope that helps you understand how it all works - I always believe the process should be as transparent as possible. There are students who also get special consideration because of their personal circumstances and their ATARS may be increased by at least five marks and in some cases, more.
Jenna Price

Yeah, I noticed that too.
UTS communication degrees were all time low this year. I've never ever seen it in the lower 90s, (I have been following cut-offs since 2002)

My analysis is that, people played it 'safer' this year.
All the traditionally high earning degrees like Engineering and Commerce have gone up significantly. I guess its a reaction to the recovering economy from the recession.

Arceupins

Banned
HSC
Economics/Arts is 94.3 up from 91.6 last year. I got in with 90.60.

I'm not entirely sure what this implies, but I'm guessing I got lucky.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Economics/Arts is 94.3 up from 91.6 last year. I got in with 90.60.

I'm not entirely sure what this implies, but I'm guessing I got lucky.
A couple of bonus points from your English marks there. =)

captlecout

HSC
newijapper unsw offers a different bonus point scheme for "elite athletes". it also includes bonus points for other achievement e.g. leadership, outdoor activity credentials (duke of e, cadets), amus etc.

sexii_Can_I

In your shoe closet, contemplating life =)
HSC
Hi folks,
I look after the undergraduate journalism program at UTS. Our ATAR dropped this year because we offered many more places, in response to the demand by applicants. Over the past five years, we have seen a significant increase in students wanting to do journalism or a journalism combined degree; and this year, the university agreed to let us take more students. However, this morning I hear there has been quite a high take-up rate already so I don't think we will be offering second round.
That's a real shame. If I'd known the cut-offs would drop so considerably this year, maybe I would have applied for the Journalism course and tried to transfer internally to the double degree after my first year. Oh well, my offer to Social Inquiry/International Studies still gives me something to celebrate. =)

msh

HSC
Hi folks,
More importantly, I don't think success in journalism is about ATARs.
Hope that helps you understand how it all works - I always believe the process should be as transparent as possible. There are students who also get special consideration because of their personal circumstances and their ATARS may be increased by at least five marks and in some cases, more.
Jenna Price

Thanks for your reply.
Though, I do concern for the reputation/prestige of the degree. The high intake meant dropping the cutoffs to around 90, from a degree that once was around 96 without any bonus points scheme.
I would also question how the alumni feels about this change...

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Bonus points are meant to be included in the very lowest cut-off, but that person with 99.55 may well have gotten points from a subject which certainly could have pushed them over the line. The people with lower ATARs such as 95.55 could still even get in based on the fact there are bonus points up for grabs.

Just in the same way, Griffith thinks I have an ATAR > 99.60. It's my fauxATAR
You don't get bonus points for your subjects in UNSW law.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)