2012 HSC predictions for Pompeii and Herculaneum? (1 Viewer)

Lolzipops

HSC
Perhaps private housing, art/architecture or a particular public building for the longer question... they don't usually come up that often.

I'm thinking for the second section it could be on Italian/International contributions or new research/technologies.

NinaChapps

HSC
Perhaps private housing, art/architecture or a particular public building for the longer question... they don't usually come up that often.

I'm thinking for the second section it could be on Italian/International contributions or new research/technologies.
You may be right for the second second section, but It doesn't mean issues of conservation ( done last year) should be neglected. After all, changing methods and contributions of archaeologists was done in 2007 and repeated in 2008.

Lolzipops

HSC
Yeah, I have practice responses done for all of them so that's fine, but I will probably focus more on the ones that haven't been done lately.

Archaeologists could be a question that comes up again as well seeing as it hasn't been asked since 2008.

humbletaco

HSC
N/A
It will be on Ethics of conservation, that is the only dot point that hasn't been covered over the years

Pop Culture

HSC
N/A
Perhaps the Everyday life dot-point as well.

This core study by far is the most difficult. There is so much content and anything could be asked. I am certain the majority of people would not be familiar with everything in detail though. I was lucky with the trial. I took a risk and only studied bits and pieces. I happened to study the right content to get me through the bulk of questions. I don't want to take a risk this time. Does anyone know the best way to study for this though? Summarising all these notes is fairly difficult.

shangg

HSC
The reason they don't do ethics of conservation is because it's extremely narrow. I might be wrong, but my history teacher (on the question making committee for the past 4-ish years. not in it this year so he can teach year 12), says that they will never ask that question because you'll be talking about things like
- religious reasons, etc.
- devaluing artefacts by accumulating wealth through the museums, etc.

They aren't testing your knowledge of Pompeii and Herculaneum SPECIFICALLY. yes you can integrate things and say the philodemus project (example) is resulting in papyrus scrolls breaking forever, etc. But, most people in the state wont think of this. 13k-ish people do ancient history. 95% won't study at all and they will write 5 lines for an ethical response question.
It will be more bullshitting instead of testing your knowledge.

Also, Pompeii and Herculaneum is done across the board by the whole state. They mark it very leniently. Use the source and add a bit of your own information.

Have a quick read over the ethical stuff, but don't worry about focusing too much on it.

If it gives you piece of mind however, study it. I could be totally wrong.

Skeptyks

HSC
The reason they don't do ethics of conservation is because it's extremely narrow. I might be wrong, but my history teacher (on the question making committee for the past 4-ish years. not in it this year so he can teach year 12), says that they will never ask that question because you'll be talking about things like
- religious reasons, etc.
- devaluing artefacts by accumulating wealth through the museums, etc.

They aren't testing your knowledge of Pompeii and Herculaneum SPECIFICALLY. yes you can integrate things and say the philodemus project (example) is resulting in papyrus scrolls breaking forever, etc. But, most people in the state wont think of this. 13k-ish people do ancient history. 95% won't study at all and they will write 5 lines for an ethical response question.
It will be more bullshitting instead of testing your knowledge.

Also, Pompeii and Herculaneum is done across the board by the whole state. They mark it very leniently. Use the source and add a bit of your own information.

Have a quick read over the ethical stuff, but don't worry about focusing too much on it.

If it gives you piece of mind however, study it. I could be totally wrong.
Thanks, do you have a good guess for what might come up in Friday's exam?

shangg

HSC
my teachers love guessing. What you can guarantee is that there will be no religion (2010 had religion and 2011 had household religion). I have a feeling it might be greek/egyptian influences and possibly political life? (don't think they've asked that before)

For the last bit, i think it will be on new research/technology such as anglo american, philodemus, etc. lAst year was conservation and before that it was just archaeologists in general

AdamSeeney

HSC
my teachers love guessing. What you can guarantee is that there will be no religion (2010 had religion and 2011 had household religion). I have a feeling it might be greek/egyptian influences and possibly political life? (don't think they've asked that before)

For the last bit, i think it will be on new research/technology such as anglo american, philodemus, etc. lAst year was conservation and before that it was just archaeologists in general
What predictions do you have on the other sections?

expectation

HSC

What predictions do you have on the other sections?
+1 i would also like to hear this!

EvansOne

HSC
N/A
As would I! ^

I'll give my own predictions for the sections I'm doing though in the meantime.

Section II - Sparta
I think they'll most certainly ask about the helots or perioikoi or possibly even both in the one question. They've done a 12 marker on the perioikoi before and considering they've not had either in the last couple of papers it's a pretty strong possibility it will be in there somewhere. I'm also confident the roles of women will come into play and quite possibly a nominated political area, ie gerousia, ephorate or ekklesia; last year they asked about the syssitia if I remember correctly.

Section III - Pericles
I have a feeling the 15 marker might be about the modern and ancient interpretations of Pericles, they haven't asked that since 2004 I believe? If not, his contributions to the 'golden age' or Athenian democracy look good. For the 10 marker though...definitely not the building program, they had that last year. I'm thinking the good old 'early career' or 'rise to prominence' will be asked.

Section IV - Greek World 500-440BC
I'm so so certain they will nominate an individual...any combination of Themistocles, Miltiades, Leonidas or perhaps even Themistocles on his own. I'm a little worried they'll ask for "the impact of the Persian Wars on Sparta" because that came up once and god can only hope they learnt their lesson. I've been warned that they could have 2 questions relating to the Delian League/time after the wars, simply because an alarming number of students don't select that option. That would SUCK. I know shit all about anything after 479 haha.

Anyway...that's that.

skrillex_x

HSC
I myself seem to be a bit more concerned by the recount of events in regards to the eruption (ie. Pliny's account) and the manner of the occurence. I regret neglecting this section in my studies but I just never seemed to click with it. What sort of questions could we expect from this aspect of P+H in particular?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)