2012 Year 9 &10 Mathematics Marathon (1 Viewer)

iBibah

HSC
Re: 2012 Year 9 &10 Mathematics Marathon

Well tried to stay to the question, guess I was wrong ==''

BTW just curious, are we allowed to submit questions from our textbooks?
haha its ok, its just that if

f(x)=*insert quadratic function*

then x=*insert quadratic equation you just proved*

Your not trying to find another way of expressing it, but rather a general formula to find the roots, hence x=.

Just trying to help you understand what your doing a little more :p

And yes, you can post questions from texts.

ymcaec

HSC
N/A

Here's another one lol
Pythagoras :)

First we know BE = ED (diagonals of parallelogram bisect each other)

Then using Pythagoras:

Last edited:

kazemagic

HSC

Pythagoras :)

First we know BE = ED (diagonals of parallelogram bisect each other)

Then using Pythagoras:
Yep good job lol

@Twinkle happy birthday m8 *insert twinkle twinkle little stars song here*

enoilgam

HSC

This isnt really a syllabus problem, but more of a logic problem - nonetheless though I think the skills needed are pretty important in maths. Some people may recognise it from somewhere, but I wont say where...

A person has a five litre jug and a three litre jug and they need to fill the five litre jug with exactly four litres of water. The person cannot guess the amount and they have no measurement aids other then the two jugs. Assuming they have an unlimited supply of water, how would they complete this task?

Fawun

Queen
HSC

This isnt really a syllabus problem, but more of a logic problem - nonetheless though I think the skills needed are pretty important in maths. Some people may recognise it from somewhere, but I wont say where...

A person has a five litre jug and a three litre jug and they need to fill the five litre jug with exactly four litres of water. The person cannot guess the amount and they have no measurement aids other then the two jugs. Assuming they have an unlimited supply of water, how would they complete this task?
To do it, you fill the 5 litre jug completely, which means you have 5 litres, then you pour the contents into the 3 litre jug until it is completely full. Which means that you now have 2 litres left in the 5 litre jug. You do it twice which means you will ahve 4 litres.

enoilgam

HSC

To do it, you fill the 5 litre jug completely, which means you have 5 litres, then you pour the contents into the 3 litre jug until it is completely full. Which means that you now have 2 litres left in the 5 litre jug. You do it twice which means you will ahve 4 litres.
You skipped a step at the end...elaborate.

Fawun

Queen
HSC

Well since the question stated that you can have unlimited amount of water, after pouring the contents into the three litre jug Now you have 2 litres left in the 5 litre jug. You then pour the 2 litre jug in the other jug, then empty the three litre jug and start again to get another 2 which gives you four.

nightweaver066

HSC

Well since the question stated that you can have unlimited amount of water, after pouring the contents into the three litre jug Now you have 2 litres left in the 5 litre jug. You then pour the 2 litre jug in the other jug, then empty the three litre jug and start again to get another 2 which gives you four.
i think you only have one 5L jug and one 3L jug. are you taking it to be 3 jugs?

@enoilgam, i've been playing a game exactly like this on my phone and it's so much fun haha :)

enoilgam

HSC

i think you only have one 5L jug and one 3L jug. are you taking it to be 3 jugs?

@enoilgam, i've been playing a game exactly like this on my phone and it's so much fun haha :)
There are only two jugs fawun. You are close, but the end is where you are going wrong.

kazemagic

HSC

Let x= 5 litre jug
y=3 litre jug

Fill up y, pour into x so x has 3 litre. Fill up y, then pour it to x so x has 5 litre and y has 1 litre. Pour x into sink, so nothing remains in it. Pour the 1 litre from y to x. Fill up y then pour it to x, then u get der 4 litres in 5 litre jug

enoilgam

HSC

Let x= 5 litre jug
y=3 litre jug

Fill up y, pour into x so x has 3 litre. Fill up y, then pour it to x so x has 5 litre and y has 1 litre. Pour x into sink, so nothing remains in it. Pour the 1 litre from y to x. Fill up y then pour it to x, then u get der 4 litres in 5 litre jug
Nice - that wasnt the method I had in mind but it works nonetheless.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)