Votes: 101 50.0%
  • Australian Labor Party

Votes: 101 50.0%

• Total voters

golgo13

Alchemist
HSC
Re: 2013 Australian Federal election

I believe the morale on the ALP side has decreased from the recent leaving of members. This is further fueled by the media. They smell blood in the water

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Labor is a sinking ship. Even if Rudd was to take over and put Labor into a lifeboat they are still fucked for the upcoming election.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC

I really want Toby Arnott to get up in question time and ask "When will this government stop lying?"

I would probably set that as my ringtone

golgo13

Alchemist
HSC

Labor is a sinking ship. Even if Rudd was to take over and put Labor into a lifeboat they are still fucked for the upcoming election.
Nah if Rudd was to take over they would be battered over unstable leadership, how can they be trusted to run the country when all they do is fight amongst each other for the position

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I'll just leave this here: Rudd coming back as leader because the party fears an elation loss would be a vindication of Julia Gillard challenging for the leadership in 2010.

will90211

HSC

This is what you Ruddites always ignore. Several cabinet Ministers and lower Ministry members have vowed to resign if Rudd comes back. A new PM, no matter how popular he is will not be able to quell the argument that his government is in disarray because of literally a mass exodus. The media will have a field day. Rudd will never be able to come back from that. Popularity is not everything in politics, and Rudd proved that.

will90211

HSC

Come on Lentern, give me more than that!

niloony

HSC

Rudd would win close to ninety seats if he contests the next election.
Why doesn't the party tip him back in? It still seems very unlikely Rudd will get back into the leadership before the election so all the backbenchers that will lose their seats must surely believe Rudd will not be their savior either.

Several cabinet Ministers and lower Ministry members have vowed to resign if Rudd comes back.
Promises made so your side wins at a point in time are unlikely to hold down the track. I doubt anyone would resign just because of Rudd if he was going to get them back into government. You don't enter politics to go down guns blazing.

Last edited:

niloony

HSC

After reading that you have to wonder why Labor even bothers contesting elections.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
How? That makes fuck all sense? They were en route to comfortable re-election in 2010 then Julia Gillard wielded the knife and fucked everything up.
You can't say with any certainly that they were on route to an election win, in fact many commentators believe that they wouldn't have won under Rudd.

In reality it's irrelevant whether they would or wouldn't. The perception of the party is that they wouldn't, just as it is now (when the election is winnable at the moment, as it was then).

It's exactly the same situation, the party has a right to choose the leader they want, you can't have rudd come to the leadership and have him a savior and her a knifer, they either both knifed their leaders in the back or they both saved their parties from likely defeat at an election.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
After reading that you have to wonder why Labor even bothers contesting elections.
After reading that you have to wonder if Lenten can separate personal feelings from rational argument.

Capt Rifle

HSC

I have a feeling liberal will be victorious.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC

What precisely did I just write that was biased in favour of Rudd just there? I said he betrayed those who put him in power by boxing them out of policy making process as per traditional Labor convention did I not? Hardly a ringing endorsement.
so you think factions should be running the party?

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Townie I'm sorry but that is ridiculous.

There is no way you can construe from the polls at the time anything that suggests it was unlikely the Rudd government would have been re-elected with a majority of both votes and seats in 2010. One newspoll in his entire tenure of Prime Minister had him trailing, one. Let's be sensible.

As for notions of knifing and stabbing it has nothing to do with Rudd being personally betrayed but the idea that Labor is thumbing their nose at the public. They have made their position abundantly clear for seven years now, Kevin Rudd is the man they want to be Prime Minister and you can talk about the rights of the party to choose it's own leader and you're perfectly correct to do so but the electorate is equally entitled to vote for another party if the Labor party is prepared to issue such an unequivocal "fuck you" to them by keeping her in the top job. People like yourself have little reason to get disillusioned with the electorate for voting Liberal when the Labor government dismisses the electorate's views so contemptuously.
You miss the point entirely, argue all you want as an outsider that Rudd would have won. Those who actually decide the leader felt differently. Now I am not necessarily saying they are right, but that's what they felt and that's how they voted.

The parties have always been able to change leader, the problem is you and others live in a fantasy land where the public directly elects the head of government, I have news for you: they don't, I don't think we should change several hundred years of tradition for the benefit of a PM who will be remembered more for being the conduit to the gillard government than anything he actually did himself.

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A

kevin rudd will be remembered for not implementing the ETS and not implementing the mining tax

he's pretty much tony abbott

Lieutenant_21

HSC

Tony Abbott is one of the most toxic Opposition leaders in Australian History. He wants to cut pensions and give a big tax cut to millionaires furthermore, leaving the less fortunate to suffer in poverty. Abbott is a hollow bitter and toxic man. He is full of sleaze, smear and aggression. He opposed the fiscal stimulus that kept Australia out of a Great Depression. Australia is facing the most challenging economic circumstances since the Great Depression. We have the lowest debt, low deficit, low unemployment, record low interest rates and high economic growth. Australia is the stand out economy in the Western world. Tony Abbott wants you to be on your own as manifested by his neo liberalism. Gillard knows that we rise and fall together as Australians. Tony Abbott didn't even know that New Zealand was in recession in 2009. Tony Abbott is all talk no action. Tony Abbott has no policies to improve living standards and providing a fair go for all Australians. Tony Abbott is an out of touch elitist that turned his back on the less fortunate.
Labor FTW

Lieutenant_21

HSC

How can I change my vote? I voted for liberal then changed my mind :(

Last edited:

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, that really stuck.....there are more important things to worry about than them anyway, better locked up here than there

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
To elaborate:
I think indefinite detention is a fault, a big one, as do I think is turning back the boats and TPV's, I used to be vehemently against offshore processing but I find myself more pragmatically for it these days, I also believe that it does need to be a regional solution and that will inevitably involve some offshore processing.

given the current climate I think political capital is better spent elsewhere (for now)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)