2013ers: What topics are you doing for the HSC? (1 Viewer)

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
These forums need reviving!

To kick off, I will share what topics I did!

WW1: Obviously everyone does this one :p I liked the source work aspect of it but I found parts of the syllabus interesting like the women's roles, the propaganda and the peacemaking efforts at Versailles.
Indochina: My least favourite topic I did, I only liked the part about American policy and found the ideology idea of communism interesting throughout.
Ho Chi Minh: At first I hated it, but then I got into it. He has a fascinating historiography to look at for a personality study, look up Sophie Quinn Judge, Duiker and Ruth Fischer. Oh Karnow and Lind are good too :)
Russia: Hands down my favourite <3 I loved the Consolidation of Power part, and the tension and ideology and practice throughout, especially in regards to Foreign Policy. Ohhh and I am a massive lover of Trotsky, but wasn't so keen on the Stalin/totalitarianism part.

So 2013ers, what topics have you been assigned for your HSC year?

enoilgam

HSC
Even though it was a while ago, here are the subjects I did and my thoughts of them:

WW1 - I found it to be pretty boring - I guess it just wasnt an interesting war. Also, I wasnt great at source work.
Germany - This was a much more interesting topic, especially in regards to the collapse of Weimar/Rise of Nazism.
Albert Speer - Interesting character, although our assessment task for it was a nighmare. It was a 40 page booklet full of short answer questions, which took FOREVER to finish.
Conflict in Europe - The best topic, but I have been a WW2 buff since primary school.

History 101

HSC
Although I have already done it sharing is caring :)
WWI - interesting however definitely the most easiest out of all of them (the documentaries in class would always be good for WWI :) )
Germany - 2nd best topic and 2nd most interesting topic. As Enoilgram said the fall of the Weimar / Rise of Nazism is amazing when studied in depth (it challenges most people's preconceived views that the Nazi's smoothly came into power)
Leni Riefenstahl - The most interesting topic out of all of them, why? The most history extension based :D Also you gotta love probably the most strong and power female of all time.
Indochina - NIGHTMARE. The hardest thing about it was probably having to remember everybody's name. It is so much longer than WWI.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Although I have already done it sharing is caring :)
WWI - interesting however definitely the most easiest out of all of them (the documentaries in class would always be good for WWI :) )
Germany - 2nd best topic and 2nd most interesting topic. As Enoilgram said the fall of the Weimar / Rise of Nazism is amazing when studied in depth (it challenges most people's preconceived views that the Nazi's smoothly came into power)
Leni Riefenstahl - The most interesting topic out of all of them, why? The most history extension based :D Also you gotta love probably the most strong and power female of all time.
Indochina - NIGHTMARE. The hardest thing about it was probably having to remember everybody's name. It is so much longer than WWI.
Another Indochina hater-jealous of you doing Germany and Leni! Though I would have loved to do Trotsky for personality!

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
For anyone interested - the most commonly done topics:

Germany
Speer
Indo-China

This has been the case for the last decade or so.

Second most popular: Russia, Leni, Conflict in Europe.

Eg155

HSC
We're doing
WW1 (Obvs)- Not looking forward to it. Such a boring period.
Russia for the national study
Leon Trotsky for the personality study
The Cold War for the international study.

Our class seems to like Russia :)

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
We're doing
WW1 (Obvs)- Not looking forward to it. Such a boring period.
Russia for the national study
Leon Trotsky for the personality study
The Cold War for the international study.

Our class seems to like Russia :)
I loved Russia, so jealous of you doing Trotsky!

And though I did not do the Cold War, my whole EE1 module was related to Cold War so I reckon it'd be a good topic to do.

ocstew

HSC
I did my Modern in 2012 but we did:

WW1
Russia and the Soviet Union
Leon Trotsky
Conflict in Indochina (basically the Vietnam War plus conflict in Cambodia)

Looking back I enjoyed these topics alot surprisingly...........

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
Choosing modern was probably the best decision i made for the hsc.

I guess what i enjoyed the most about modern was how you were allowed to be "complex" when answering questions and introduce a variety of factors on the subject other than the one listed. Furthermore, when these factors are all linked (eg appeasement being a consequence of the failure of the league of nations) it becomes very "fulfilling" seeing where you can develop your arguement.

Amaranth_

HSC
N/A
One of my favorite subjects with one my favorite teachers!

topics:

WW1
Germany
Leni Riefenstahl
Cold War

So far I've found WW1 to be interesting but it did become rather tedious towards the end with the amount of past questions that I had to do. Looking forward to Germany once school starts. :D

Caaaaake

HSC
I did it in 2012 buuut
WW1
Germany
Speer
Conflict in the Pacific

I actually really enjoyed every topic, however I think I would have enjoyed everything possible in the syallabus except that cricketing thing, fuck that back to war.

suprwoman101

HSC
I did it in 2012 buuut
WW1
Germany
Speer
Conflict in the Pacific

I actually really enjoyed every topic, however I think I would have enjoyed everything possible in the syallabus except that cricketing thing, fuck that back to war.
Are you talking about bodyline bowling in test series?

cashewpolish

HSC
Germany, Speer and Conflict in Europe. I'm lucky Germany/World War II interest me.

lachy95

HSC
I'm doing these ones:

- Germany (which I'm really enjoying right now)
- Ho Chi Minh
- Indochina

I agree with LoveHateSchool, this forum needs reviving! Considering many of us are doing Germany, I think we should do things like some essay-plan marathons and maybe sharing some resources if people are so inclined.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm doing these ones:

- Germany (which I'm really enjoying right now)
- Ho Chi Minh
- Indochina

I agree with LoveHateSchool, this forum needs reviving! Considering many of us are doing Germany, I think we should do things like some essay-plan marathons and maybe sharing some resources if people are so inclined.
It's nice to see a few entries on the roll call, and I know there are modern kids around because I've had a couple of PMs for modern history advice :D

lachy95, you're doing HCM/Indochina just like I did, so feel free to ask any questions.

Germany I didn't do, but it looks to be an interesting topic!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)