2014 HSC Extension 2 Maths Carrotsticks' Solutions (2 Viewers)

mreditor16

HSC
guys for Q11 d) did we have to draw y=x^2 as an asymptote?

and also do you guys reckon you would lose a mark for not drawing Q12 a ) ii) as disconnected at its x-intercept, like carret seems to suggest you have to do? :O

IR

HSC

and also do you guys reckon you would lose a mark for not drawing Q12 a ) ii) as disconnected at its x-intercept, like carret seems to suggest you have to do? :O
yes probably. How do you think now you went? /100. Just realised I got 5/10 wrong for multiple choice. And wait isnt 6) a? Now I guess with the worst case scenario probably 87/100. Best case: around 91/100

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
Hey guys, so carrot is off to teach his class. However he just rang me and he wants to see if anyone in this thread can finish off his proof to the conics question (the one with red writing in his solutions).

So if anyone is willing or able to find a proof using his method, please have a go and post it!

mreditor16

HSC
Hey guys, so carrot is off to teach his class. However he just rang me and he wants to see if anyone in this thread can finish off his proof to the conics question (the one with red writing in his solutions).

So if anyone is willing or able to find a proof using his method, please have a go and post it!
realise, can you answer this? -

guys for Q11 d) did we have to draw y=x^2 as an asymptote? will we lose a mark for not doing so?

mreditor16

HSC
yes probably. How do you think now you went? /100. Just realised I got 5/10 wrong for multiple choice. And wait isnt 6) a? Now I guess with the worst case scenario probably 87/100. Best case: around 91/100
will post soon on the "predict your raw mark thread" :)

mirachael

HSC

Theoretically, wouldn't there be a certain f(x) for which 1/f(x) would be smooth at x=-1? In that case drawing it disconnected would also be wrong in certain cases. Since they don't show any y values, its impossible to deduce which case it is, so I don't think they should penalise us.

mreditor16

HSC
Theoretically, wouldn't there be a certain f(x) for which 1/f(x) would be smooth at x=-1? In that case drawing it disconnected would also be wrong in certain cases. Since they don't show any y values, its impossible to deduce which case it is, so I don't think they should penalise us.
I hope that is the case :)

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Am totally not texting whilst stuck in traffic right now.
Carret, for Q11 e), you said by mistake the function is odd

it is even :)
Oops, I think I drew it to be even anyway.

I doubt you do, considering that it's in question 11 too.

Also for the disconnect part, there is definitely an open circle there. Whether it connects smoothly or not, we cannot be sure. There isn't enough information to tell.

mreditor16

HSC
Wait what???

Unless I'm tripping badly, my test paper clearly states that a≤b≤c. Your proof works perfectly fine if you fix up all of the inequality signs.
yep my bad

everyone, listen up! in my proof, all the inequlity signs should be opposite to what they are.

sorry guys! will amend and repost :) thanks egress :)

IR

HSC
BTW WHY IS MULTIPLE CHOICE 6d)?? Am I missing something?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)