2015 Latin (1 Viewer)

p0llex

HSC
There must be somebody else on here.

How's latin treating you?
How far through the translations did you get this term?
How many people are in your classes?

I'm pretty happy holding rank 1 in continuers for now, no extension assessment yet.
We have 5 in continuers and 4 in extension.
Keen to take down those Sydney Grammar kids.

p0llex

HSC
Thanks and congrats on the atar!!

Don't even think any of my 3 will count but enjoy it too much to drop.

Is there any consensus on unseen translation vs english to latin on the last question of the extension exam?

mreditor16

HSC

Is there any consensus on unseen translation vs english to latin on the last question of the extension exam?
For me, all 3 units of Latin didn't end up counting. But yes too valuable to drop (especially because I had such a fantastic teacher, who also served as an invaluable mentor).

For the last Q of the extension exam, DO NOT do English to Latin, unless you satisfy these three conditions:

a) your teacher (or tutor lol) has taught how to translate English to Latin properly, for the purposes of doing it in the HSC Extension exam
b) you have done a lot of practice on it and feel confident doing so and are scoring well
c) studying for English to Latin isn't taking up too much time

In summary, for 99.95% of people, just sticking to latin to English for the last question on the extension exam is the best way to go. Trust me! :)

xenophanes

HSC

Hey p0llex I also just finished latin extension this year and im curious why dont you think it will count if you are ranked first!!

Metamorphoses

HSC
Hi P0llex!
Amo Latinam! It's heaps of work (as im sure you know) but I enjoy it so much that it doesn't matter to me.
I do Latin at Barker. We have 3 students in both continuers and extension. I'm guessing you do Latin at Shore? or Cranbrook?

I randomly decided to come on here and see if there was anything useful. It would be great to share notes between schools (except for Sydney Grammar ;) )

By the way, my teacher told us that no one has done the English to Latin for many years as a serious attempt - apparently someone last year randomly decided to do it though.

Last edited:

Metamorphoses

HSC
Hey guys, I have to write an essay on how Aeneas and Turnus reflect the ideal of an Homeric hero in Book XII. If anyone has any good sources or articles pertaining to this, or any good points/examples, I would really appreciate it if you could share them with me!

p0llex

HSC
Hey p0llex I also just finished latin extension this year and im curious why dont you think it will count if you are ranked first!!
It's just a toss up between latin, chem, and physics, and chem and physics went pretty well for me in yr11 so I'm not sure.

Hi P0llex!
Amo Latinam! It's heaps of work (as im sure you know) but I enjoy it so much that it doesn't matter to me.
I do Latin at Barker. We have 3 students in both continuers and extension. I'm guessing you do Latin at Shore? or Cranbrook?
Not quite, Canberra Grammar :(

Hey guys, I have to write an essay on how Aeneas and Turnus reflect the ideal of an Homeric hero in Book XII. If anyone has any good sources or articles pertaining to this, or any good points/examples, I would really appreciate it if you could share them with me!
Hmm do you have to talk about the whole of book 12? We've done similar things but only in reference to specific passages.
This is the only article we were given about it, otherwise our teacher does pretty well at pointing things out as we translate (unfortunately he got poached by Melbourne Grammar this year :frown2:)

Metamorphoses

HSC
Hey P0llex,
Shame you're not in Sydney, it would've been cool if you were coming to the Latin Summer School held at Sydney Uni next week.

We don't have to talk about the whole of the book necessarily, just the parts that are relevant. Thank you for sharing that link with me that has some very useful ideas in it. Would you be able to please send me the referencing details?
I am currently writing the first paragraph, and I have decided on the following structure:
P1- Turnus and how Virgil uses him as a medium to critique the ideal of a Homeric Hero
P2 - What influenced Virgil to create his own type of hero through Aeneas
p3 - Aeneas and pietas (the product)

I'll probably end up posting the essay up here when it's finished :)

Last edited:

p0llex

HSC
I actually will be in Sydney, but doing an english advanced course - a lot more worrying than latin for me

Sorry not sure where the sheet comes from

Essay sounds good - would love to see what you write for the second paragraph especially.

superstar12

HSC
I'm doing Latin this year too! Does anyone have any half-yearly/trial papers to share around? I have a few.

haytchpea

HSC
hey is anyone doing english extension 2 as well? how does the Latin extension course compare?

superstar12

HSC
Nup! But I do Latin, that's the important thing! How are you currently finding it?

p0llex

HSC
Anybody going to this latin study day on the 16th of June? 8 of us (3 who do the IB) are coming all the way from Canberra to show off our far superior and exam skills to all you Sydney nerds.

Also our teacher showed us this website for anybody who needs scansion practice (which I'm sure is nobody but still good procrastination):

kowaidesuka

HSC
Hello, fellow latin student here. As of today, our class has finished all of Aeneid 12 and all of Extension prescribed texts. :D

Latin is honestly a quite enjoyable subject for me, although I always lose majority of my marks in commentary

here is a useful link for character studies on Turnus and Aeneas.

p0llex

HSC
We've done all of Pro Roscio and have 70 or 80 lines of the Aeneid left (we have 2 more weeks of school this term though, I'm not sure if it's the same in NSW)
In extension we just have the Propertius left so we'll finish that next week

Metamorphoses

HSC
My mighty class of 3 (barker college) will be at the study day tomorrow!!!! But unfortunately not with the IB students as they are separated.

Anybody going to this latin study day on the 16th of June? 8 of us (3 who do the IB) are coming all the way from Canberra to show off our far superior and exam skills to all you Sydney nerds.

Also our teacher showed us this website for anybody who needs scansion practice (which I'm sure is nobody but still good procrastination):

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)