2016ers Chit-Chat Thread (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
When you're looking for meaning, the better way to think of this is: "Why aren't the curtains another colour?"

Because a character walking into a room with blue curtains is totally different to a character walking into a room with red velvet curtains, which is totally different to a character walking into a room with a corn-themed curtains.

In each example, the curtains give a different perspective of the room, which changes the way we see the character. A depressed character is unlikely to own sparkly pink curtains. The author has included that the curtains are blue, because the blue reflects the state of the character.

If the character did own sparkly pink curtains (assuming hypothetically, that we pretend they exist outside the words of the author), it is unlikely that the author would mention it, because it doesn't add anything to our understanding of the character, or their world (unless it's being used as an obvious contrast).

If you have a depressed character, it's fairly safe to assume that blue was chosen because it adds to that aesthetic.

StudiousStudent

HSC
Does anyone know how to get the 2 as in H2O to stay small in excel? it keeps appearing as a standard size number.

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
lelel i know this was a joke but there is a good point to be made here

the goal isn't to work out what the author actually meant - his intentions and their manifestations are interesting, but what's even more interesting is what they didn't intend but are still there and why they are there. like things that are there and imply things that the author did not consciously include but are in there anyways as a result of their own personal context, or the context of their times

for example, say you make a tafe joke. like all you really intended was to make fun of tafe because it would be funny yeah?
but someone could also infer that you are satirizing the government and the bureaucracy. while you may not have intended to do that, it does reflect certain underlying opinions you have - tafe is not considered very prestigious or worthwhile. thats kind of the point of english, how our lives and worlds mold us, and how that is reflected in what we do and create, both consciously and unconsciously

yeh im board lelel
wtf when did my english teacher get BOS

StudiousStudent

HSC
Enter H2O in a cell.
Select just the 2 with the mouse
Format>Cells>Font and you will see a subscript checkbox there, check it
OK
I love you! :kiss:

I'm hopeless at using excel. I just spent 2 hours calculating figures and averaging them - only to realise I could do it in excel with the click of a button!

#novice.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I love you! :kiss:

I'm hopeless at using excel. I just spent 2 hours calculating figures and averaging them - only to realise I could do it in excel with the click of a button!

#novice.
Excel is really a skill worth learning. You'll save yourself a lot of time when you get into the workforce.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Where is the HSC CSU link for discovery? The website got shut down for some reason :(

StudiousStudent

HSC
Excel is really a skill worth learning. You'll save yourself a lot of time when you get into the workforce.
Ok, so In the cell in excel I have the two 'ticked' as subscript. When I convert the data to a chart, it doesn't transfer to my graph. It looks demented written as H2O. It won't let me select the individual text to change it, either. Any ideas?

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
The discovery link doesn't work for me :(

It's probably my home computer which can't make me access it. I'll try accessing it at school and see what happens
nah jks just tried the discovery links
it doesn't work for me either

they're lost forever lol

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Ok, so In the cell in excel I have the two 'ticked' as subscript. When I convert the data to a chart, it doesn't transfer to my graph. It looks demented written as H2O. It won't let me select the individual text to change it, either. Any ideas?
You could try entering the "2" as a unicode character in the cell, rather than as a formatted number 2. Try copying the 2 from this site:

http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/block/superscripts_and_subscripts/list.htm

Next to the heading: U+2082 SUBSCRIPT TWO (U+2082)

And see if that then transfers to the graph.

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
Meh, but no band 6 analysis of texts and a useful guide to help us along the way :(
I don't think CSU had this lol

iirc all it had was like a random explanation of what discovery is, and then a bunch of stuff copied/pasted from syllabus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)