Status
Not open for further replies.

kashkow

HSC
I don't get the y=e^(-x^2) bit
y=e^(-x^2)
=1/(e^(x^2))

So when x is really large and positive or negative, y is going to be small
As x approaches 0 from either side, x^2 will also approach 0 and e^(x^2) will approach 1 (and when x=0 y=1)
Therefore max that y goes to is 1

Hope that makes sense

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
I don't get the y=e^(-x^2) bit
It's (up to the inclusion of scale and location parameters) the equation of the famous "bell curve" that you often hear people talking about (as leehuan has alluded to above). I'm guessing when you said you don't 'get' it, you meant like you don't see why that one was there, because it's not really a standard HSC curve like the other ones?

Last edited:

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
It's (up to the inclusion of scale and location parameters) the equation of the famous "bell curve" that you often hear people talking about (as leehuan has alluded to above). I'm guessing when you said you don't 'get' it, you meant like you don't see why that one was there, because it's not really a standard HSC curve like the other ones?
it's not standard, but it is normal... :cool:

mrstripedshades

HSC
a lot of people suggesting to not make your own notes to me and download them online solely...

To be honest, is it just me or that makes it way harder to memorise? I have one module and a bit left for Chem and astro for Physics. I did two modules of physics in a day during half yearlies (LOL) and I am fairly sure I can do the notes pretty fast. But is it better to PURELY focus on past papers now? ( I'm doing CSSA's btw)

leehuan

HSC
a lot of people suggesting to not make your own notes to me and download them online solely...

To be honest, is it just me or that makes it way harder to memorise? I have one module and a bit left for Chem and astro for Physics. I did two modules of physics in a day during half yearlies (LOL) and I am fairly sure I can do the notes pretty fast. But is it better to PURELY focus on past papers now? ( I'm doing CSSA's btw)
I made quite a fair few notes for physics, but for chemistry I personally downloaded 100% of the notes I used.

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC

I find downloading them and just doing a shiton of past papers is better than slaving away imo

ml125

HSC
lol tsfx had english today - saw so many people I knew wot
I was at usyd for kickstart physics, could've gone MANSW but they clashed rip .-.

tfw only person from my school that got put in another group cri oh well
socially awks/10 rip me when I get to uni (if I ever get there)

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
I find downloading them and just doing a shiton of past papers is better than slaving away imo
I'm kind of in the same situation here, it seems easier to remember but I also can't really be bothered/don't have that much time doing notes.

Do you guys recommend skimming them before doing the paper? Or as I go, and encounter unknown content, check notes and then do the questions?

(rip over 200 pages of notes)

leehuan

HSC
Ehh I did my notes during the other breaks in the year. Not this one.
I'm kind of in the same situation here, it seems easier to remember but I also can't really be bothered/don't have that much time doing notes.

Do you guys recommend skimming them before doing the paper? Or as I go, and encounter unknown content, check notes and then do the questions?

The thing is, if you had notes you can just highlight/annotate the hard stuff. Then, you know when to just whoosh past something that's intuitive to you.

Skimming through notes before doing a closed book past paper is fine though. Like a lot of people go into their HSC exams and look at their notes for as long as possible until it's officially time to stop. (I don't 100% promote this strategy though.)

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC

I do a few past papers open book and then start to do them closed book. Don't feel bad if you look at them while doing a closed exams though - because in the end you're just filling gaps you didn't know before :)

Erudite

HSC
Just curious to know as people are prepping for trials at the moment. What are people's study time tables looking like? What time do you start everyday? How many hours do you do a day? How long are your breaks etc... Should probably create a new thread for this and I know that people work differently, but I was just curious to know how my fellow Hscers are doing. =)

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC
Just curious to know as people are prepping for trials at the moment. What are people's study time tables looking like? What time do you start everyday? How many hours do you do a day? How long are your breaks etc... Should probably create a new thread for this and I know that people work differently, but I was just curious to know how my fellow Hscers are doing. =)
What mine should look like:
Breakfast
Study
Lunch
Study
Break
Study
Dinner
Study
Sleep

What it looks like:
Wake up late
Brunch
procrastinate
Freak out and study
Quick food break for snack
Keep freaking out and study until 3am

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
Try to aim for about 2-4 hours a day. I follow the rule of studiny 20 mins to 60 minutes in one sitting - then taking a break.

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
Try to aim for about 2-4 hours a day. I follow the rule of studiny 20 mins to 60 minutes in one sitting - then taking a break.
legit is that it? I would feel more work is required..I do 2-3 hours a day and it feels like nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)