2016ers Chit-Chat Thread (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrstripedshades

HSC
Hey guys, would you lose marks in series questions if you did this, its a habit of mine.

E.g.

This guy has max 200 tiles. How many rows can he make with it. What I do is instinctively just do Sn = the equation then get the n and answer it. But a lot of the sample answers I see do it with a inequality sign

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
Hey guys, would you lose marks in series questions if you did this, its a habit of mine.

E.g.

This guy has max 200 tiles. How many rows can he make with it. What I do is instinctively just do Sn = the equation then get the n and answer it. But a lot of the sample answers I see do it with a inequality sign
I actually remember doing that question, and I believe the question said what was the max rows he can make? Wasn't the answer 13 or something (had to round it down from memory).

mrstripedshades

HSC
I actually remember doing that question, and I believe the question said what was the max rows he can make? Wasn't the answer 13 or something (had to round it down from memory).
yea. They can be a bit tricky with the wording of those questions but otherwise they are pretty easy. I remember a 200-something paper and their was a weird one with the years and months or something.

meDAawesome

HSC
kinda worried about what theyre gonna do in the 2u test tomorrow cos formula sheet

mrstripedshades

HSC
bostes pls be merciful :') cri
Btw does anyone know the B5 cut off in 2013?

If they do a test like that I honestly may not get a band 5 especially if i make silly mistakes... lmao.

and how are u guys gonna study since it sso late in the day?

Im thinking of going to sleep in an hour, waking up at 6 to watch a soccer game, going to sleep 8-10 or even 11 and then doing some minimal stuff.

I think I'm fine and just need to not get too distracted and be calm

eating

Wannabe COMP god
HSC
EDIT: found this BOSTES link, slightly reassuring :)

Re: writing outside lines.

I have written a few answers that went beyond the lines due to having to rewrite a sentence or two (I had already ran out of extra writing space). It is obvious that they did go beyond the lines, and they are within the scanning safe area indicated by the ⌞ ⌟ markers in the corners of the page (I assume that's what they are for).

Will these be likely to be marked?

Last edited:

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
EDIT: found this BOSTES link, slightly reassuring :)

Re: writing outside lines.

I have written a few answers that went beyond the lines due to having to rewrite a sentence or two (I had already ran out of extra writing space). It is obvious that they did go beyond the lines, and they are within the scanning safe area indicated by the ⌞ ⌟ markers in the corners of the page (I assume that's what they are for).

Will these be likely to be marked?
Yes but I'd avoid doing it in the future.

Ellztrap

HSC
Uni Grad
At an ancient study day toy Hurley told us that if something happens (example: doesn't scan with highlighter on the ink very well) they can usually track down the actual paper, although this takes effort and makes people angry
So don't do it

sourmilk

HSC
This is just an unnecessary, depressing rant.

All my life I was considered to be an over-achiever, in fact at one point my parents were convinced I was going to study law because I was apparently so capable. I did well throughout high school, with even my teachers thinking that I'll get a really good final mark and estimating my atar in the 90's. I received academic awards, and genuinely prided on the fact that I was ~intelligent~ and I always saw UNSW as my next stage in life but right now I definitely know it's not going to happen.

I don't know why but this year everything just went to shits. This is the worst year I have ever performed in my life. It's been a constant brick in the fact on how I'm reminded that I'm not as good as I thought I was, and the fact the only exam I feel pretty confident that I did better than my trials was English. I feel like I can't get into any universities near me, not only that my parents are my entire family are going to be significantly and extremely disappointed/angry with me if I didn't get into UNSW. I honestly tried so hard and studied so much for Biology and Maths but yesterday and the day before robbed me and made me feel so pathetic. The only hope is that I can get a high band 5 in both Ext. Eng or Business, but I really doubt that since my internal marks were averaging mid-band 4's and my subjects scale so poorly. I feel so dumb, and so stupid right now and like it's really hard not to cry every minute at the thought of waking up and seeing my atar is 50. It just feels like all those past papers and study I spent for my subjects were not even recognised at all.

I know that ATAR isn't everything and that I can transfer what not, but it's just that it feels all my 13 years of being praised for being ~smart~ was completely shattered.

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC

All my life I was considered to be an over-achiever, in fact at one point my parents were convinced I was going to study law because I was apparently so capable. I did well throughout high school, with even my teachers thinking that I'll get a really good final mark and estimating my atar in the 90's. I received academic awards, and genuinely prided on the fact that I was ~intelligent~ and I always saw UNSW as my next stage in life but right now I definitely know it's not going to happen.

I don't know why but this year everything just went to shits. This is the worst year I have ever performed in my life. It's been a constant brick in the fact on how I'm reminded that I'm not as good as I thought I was, and the fact the only exam I feel pretty confident that I did better than my trials was English. I feel like I can't get into any universities near me, not only that my parents are my entire family are going to be significantly and extremely disappointed/angry with me if I didn't get into UNSW. I honestly tried so hard and studied so much for Biology and Maths but yesterday and the day before robbed me and made me feel so pathetic. The only hope is that I can get a high band 5 in both Ext. Eng or Business, but I really doubt that since my internal marks were averaging mid-band 4's and my subjects scale so poorly. I feel so dumb, and so stupid right now and like it's really hard not to cry every minute at the thought of waking up and seeing my atar is 50. It just feels like all those past papers and study I spent for my subjects were not even recognised at all.

I know that ATAR isn't everything and that I can transfer what not, but it's just that it feels all my 13 years of being praised for being ~smart~ was completely shattered.
Firstly, with that bolded point - the perspective that ATAR isn't everything at this current moment is to people who don't care as much and/or are okay with alternative pathways to get around to things. So in my opinion, its okay to actually see the ATAR as your current everything - otherwise, everyone putting their strongest efforts into the ATAR seen as insignificant would be a seemingly stupid concept.

Never ever doubt what you can do to fix your ATAR because the externals is a great playing field for you to show off your exemplar examination taking skills and that your internals is not an accurate representation of your potential.

I'm unsure as to what exams you have left - but this is what I can for Business Studies - pinpoint your weak topics (2 max) and do them as short answers + (unsure how many days you have left) but write as many essays you can (or at least essay plans so you will not get thrown off on the day!!!).

Additionally, I am 100% willing for you to add me on Facebook and to have 1-1 interaction to assist you with Business Studies so you have at least someone to ask for help with actively.

Jac babe, this is the best advice I can give right now: Never go into an exam with a mindset that you can't do it - thats just admitting that you're ready to lose.

Have a good cry as well to let out that stress o 3o///

Last edited:

mrstripedshades

HSC

I doubt you'll get a 50 ATAR, especially if you go to a somewhat decent school. You'd still probably get AT LEAST 75

Orwell

HSC
No offence to anyone, but if I were to get 75 it would be the end of me.

Zoinked

Beast
HSC
Same, but obviously the people getting 75s have a vastly different attitude towards the HSC and studies.

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
I doubt you'll get a 50 ATAR, especially if you go to a somewhat decent school. You'd still probably get AT LEAST 75
If I remember, she goes to a pretty low ranking school. Even my school with a school rank of 70 still probably sees a lot of people with low ATARs.

No offence to anyone, but if I were to get 75 it would be the end of me.
Same, but obviously the people getting 75s have a vastly different attitude towards the HSC and studies.
I share this perspective too. And I also believe that a lot of people have different expectations of themselves - its good to know people who have similar goals as me - but we also just need to have a little sensitivity towards people getting 75s.

I have 2 friends for example, have a passion for learning but absolutely suck at examination taking, have the same perspective as me in the importance of education but is severely limited to a 60 ATAR and a below 40 ATAR due to their inability to conform to standardised testing + mental/physical illnesses and disadvantages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)