2016ers Chit-Chat Thread (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
Yeah I'm not too sure. I guess my teacher seems happy since she hasn't really said anything about it. Also it's not a documentary; it's a fiction film so maybe that is different enough? haha idk.
I think if the marks you get are decent and your teacher (hopefully been a HSC marker as well!) thinks its fine - then all good :D

AND since you offered some help with Physics last time (hehehe), if you have done the 2015 Physics paper, can you look at the MC (Q6, 8, 12, 19) and explain why that answer is the answer?

kashkow

HSC
Hey sorry for the latish reply; was calculating atars on another thread.

I'll have a look into them and see :)

kashkow

HSC
Worst comes to worst if on the day they ask you for two related texts you can just analyse one of those in paper 1 section 1.

If both your related texts are a film then unless you can hurry up those new quotes, or your prescribed text is a film, stay with it
Really you can do that??! Wait can they ask for 2 in paper 1? I thought in AoS it's recommended to study two so that you have a backup but not because two can be asked?

Prescribed is a documentary film. Related 1 is a film. Related 2 haven't really used since never asked, but an artwork (though this will probs change). Not really sure by what you meant though? Could you explain?

leehuan

HSC
Really you can do that??! Wait can they ask for 2 in paper 1? I thought in AoS it's recommended to study two so that you have a backup but not because two can be asked?

Prescribed is a documentary film. Related 1 is a film. Related 2 haven't really used since never asked, but an artwork (though this will probs change). Not really sure by what you meant though? Could you explain?
Yes. You can use unseen texts for your AoS essay. (I highly advise against it where possible but it is out there)

Technically, you're advised to study two for ALL topics. The AoS AND the modules. Because you can be asked 2 in ANY of them.
It just so happens that most people safely gamble that they won't. Because the markers found out that essays are worsened when more than one RT is asked.

If your prescribed is a documentary film and you chose a fictional film to relate it then it's persuadable in my opinion. In general though you should try to differentiate between textual forms.
I don't know how the HSC feels about artworks.

Last edited:

kashkow

HSC
Yes. You can use unseen texts for your AoS essay. (I highly advise against it where possible but it is out there)

Technically, you're advised to study two for ALL topics. The AoS AND the modules. Because you can be asked 2 in ANY of them.
It just so happens that most people safely gamble that they won't. Because the markers found out that essays are worsened when more than one RT is asked.

If your prescribed is a documentary film and you chose a fictional film to relate it then it's persuadable in my opinion. In general though you should try to differentiate between textual forms.
I don't know how the HSC feels about artworks.
Ok thanks for that info :)

Yeah I may go with a novel or something along those lines. HSC artworks, I think they are ok since I've done some analysis and my teacher's marked it? Also when studying the AoS I think we did some artwork analysis for certain images in relation to discovery, so I guess it's ok for exams? Maybe it's just my school lel

Orthos

HSC
Yeah I'm not too sure. I guess my teacher seems happy since she hasn't really said anything about it. Also it's not a documentary; it's a fiction film so maybe that is different enough? haha idk.
As long as you can analyse it to prove your argument and is related to the module, it'll be fine.

Aside that, does anyone have any general advice on mastering permutations and combinations?

leehuan

HSC
Ok thanks for that info :)

Yeah I may go with a novel or something along those lines. HSC artworks, I think they are ok since I've done some analysis and my teacher's marked it? Also when studying the AoS I think we did some artwork analysis for certain images in relation to discovery, so I guess it's ok for exams? Maybe it's just my school lel
That's interesting. Tbh never heard of analysing artworks except for unseen texts. But then again that implies maybe it is viable after all.
As long as you can analyse it to prove your argument and is related to the module, it'll be fine.

Aside that, does anyone have any general advice on mastering permutations and combinations?
I didn't. I'm only working on mastering it now that I'm in uni and have been taught how to do it properly.

There are too many types of perms and combs questions to just know all of them that easily. Though after a while you should see patterns.

Orthos

HSC
That's interesting. Tbh never heard of analysing artworks except for unseen texts. But then again that implies maybe it is viable after all.

I didn't. I'm only working on mastering it now that I'm in uni and have been taught how to do it properly.

There are too many types of perms and combs questions to just know all of them that easily. Though after a while you should see patterns.
Right... high-school sucks. When I see perms and combs, the answer is not immediate, I guess I need more practice.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Was an ex-EE1 student. Personally didn't like it and didn't see it as something that improved my essays but forced me to practise a lot of creative. Wouldn't say that EE1 would improve you...if you weren't at the level required firstly
Why did you pick it though? I heard at my school they do fun texts, which is why I kinda regret not doing it (but it's a lot of hard work and takes up a lot of time for a 1U subject)

Standard english has the most boring texts in the world

Last edited:

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
Why did you pick it though? I heard at my school they do fun texts, which is why I kinda regret not doing it (but it's a lot of hard work and takes up a lot of time for a 1U subject)

Standard english has the most boring texts in the world
This is why I dropped EE1. It was just so tough in terms of workload for 1 unit (especially compared to MX1 IMO because of the 4 extra PRESCRIBED texts + related).

I picked it because I am good at English LOL, I basically topped (top 3) English from Year 7 - 12

si2136

HSC
N/A
This is why I dropped EE1. It was just so tough in terms of workload for 1 unit (especially compared to MX1 IMO because of the 4 extra PRESCRIBED texts + related).

I picked it because I am good at English LOL, I basically topped (top 3) English from Year 7 - 12
Yeah, definitely a whole workload of work, definitely not worth it when you can focus on Advanced. Plus, I'm doing a stupid genre study next year so not staying.

Thought about doing 4U then 3U and now dropping to 2U.

Orwell

HSC

English Extension 1 is a shit ton of work for 1 unit but it's also my favourite subject.

EE1 is so much better than advanced in terms of what you learn.

Bestintheworld

HSC
There's always a next time dw
Are you going to retake it or do gamsat?

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
I will probably give it a crack next year as well but definitely will be doing GAMSAT if I don't get in next year.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A

TBH english advanced is already more than enough work compared to other subjets IMO

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
i dont think english is that much work load honestly... its not hard to 'memorise essays' which technically is all you need to do.
The only workload of English is actually analyzing your texts and coming up with an essay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)