2018ers Chit-Chat Thread (1 Viewer)

brbstudying

HSC
I ended up just memorising quotes and techniques so i'm not sure how good my on the spot analysis was
Honestly don't even worry. The fact that you're doing Extension shows ability in being articulate and expressing yourself and stuff, so I'm sure your analysis was great!

entartung

HSC
Honestly don't even worry. The fact that you're doing Extension shows ability in being articulate and expressing yourself and stuff, so I'm sure your analysis was great!
Thanks for the encouragement! I def needed it haha.

I haven't seen too much advice regarding memorising for ex (as opposed to adv), but a lot of people seem to be against it since the question can be a curveball, however i've heard of people who memorise too. i definitely struggle to write 'sophisticatedly' on the spot and i prefer to redraft a bunch of times.

I def got lucky this time around (question was on "how texts re-evaluates ATB values, ideas) as it was pretty broad, but not sure how i'll approach actual HSC. Do you usually fully memorise for ex?

brbstudying

HSC

I haven't seen too much advice regarding memorising for ex (as opposed to adv), but a lot of people seem to be against it since the question can be a curveball, however i've heard of people who memorise too. i definitely struggle to write 'sophisticatedly' on the spot and i prefer to redraft a bunch of times.

I def got lucky this time around (question was on "how texts re-evaluates ATB values, ideas) as it was pretty broad, but not sure how i'll approach actual HSC. Do you usually fully memorise for ex?
No worries. :)

It's true that the question can be a curveball (but let's hope it's not this year haha), but if you struggle to write sophisticatedly on the spot, then I recommend memorising for the actual HSC.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC

Tbh from what I know most people memorise for both advanced and extension. However maybe some backup quotes could be useful because I heard last year's extension questions were curveballs e.g. very specific themes for essays.

sodiumziha

HSC
Random: but why do people that finished their hsc in like 2016, 2015, 2017 or whatever hang around BOS? Is this like a hobby for you guys, to help newbs out? Don't get me wrong THANK YOU for doing gods work and giving the best advice, but why do you do it? Benefits?

studyinggg

HSC
Guys do you know talent100? When I brokedown my atar, do the hsc marks mean only for the actual hsc exams in October or external and internal marks altogether? If it counts internal i'm done for..

captainneuro

HSC
Random: but why do people that finished their hsc in like 2016, 2015, 2017 or whatever hang around BOS? Is this like a hobby for you guys, to help newbs out? Don't get me wrong THANK YOU for doing gods work and giving the best advice, but why do you do it? Benefits?
it’s also because bos isn’t just for high schoolers, it’s for uni students too haha. Plenty of uni students help each other out just like year 11/12’s do on this thread

captainneuro

HSC
Guys do you know talent100? When I brokedown my atar, do the hsc marks mean only for the actual hsc exams in October or external and internal marks altogether? If it counts internal i'm done for..
Lol unfortunately those marks shown are internals and externals both counted

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
You'll get given three marks, and you input the HSC mark into the calculator.

The HSC mark is comprised of (Examination Mark+ Assessment Mark) divided by 2.

The Assessment Mark is your performance from your internal(school) assessment and is determined by your school's relative performance in HSC exams.

The Examination Mark is your performance in the HSC exam.

spaghettii

HSC
Uni Grad
I've flunked the last two math exams, so my raw internal mark for mathematics is 84. I'm not sure of my rank, but at this stage is it still possible to get a band 6?

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
I've flunked the last two math exams, so my raw internal mark for mathematics is 84. I'm not sure of my rank, but at this stage is it still possible to get a band 6?
Assessment marks don't matter, only your rank and relative gap between each student.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Assessment marks don't matter, only your rank and relative gap between each student.
Don't the relative gaps get shifted up or down depending on the cohorts performance?

Ramini1

HSC
Hey guys,

Currently in the middle of trials and I’ve got huge issues,
I have business studies on Thursday followed by chemistry on fridays and I am overwhelmingly underprepared. To add to this, my chemistry teacher makes extremely hard exams and I am suffering legitimate anxiety, difficulty eating etc because I simply don’t have enough time to focus on chem and business as they are back to back. I am seriously considering getting a medical certificate for Thursday and completing business on Monday, however I’m conflicted. I am legitamately suffering health wise from other conditions on top of this stress, so I wouldn’t be completely lying. Wondering whether you guys think it’s the right thing to do, I just can’t focus on both I’ve worked my arse off all year in chem just for a 65 avg.

Any replies would be kindly acknowledged

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
Hi All,

We have just updated our resources section with new HSC notes and resources across multiple subjects. Go and check it out if you’re looking for some extra study content leading up to the big exam.

If they help you I encourage you to upload your own notes so that more content becomes avalible for everyone on the site.

PikyoK

HSC
Hello. Long time no see.

I have a question about HSC VA Body of Works. Do HSC Markers come to the school to mark it or do they take it to the marking centre? Note: my artwork is a diorama (installation).

Last edited:

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Hello. Long time no see.

I have a question about HSC VA Body of Works. Do HSC Markers come to the school to mark it or do they take it to the marking centre? Note: my artwork is a diorama (installation).
It actually depends. Some years HSC markers will come to your school and mark art piecies. Other years, either you (or your school) will be responsible for organising the transportation of your artwork to the marking centre.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)