• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

2018ers Preliminary Chit Chat Thread (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnonKnowsNothing

HSC
Hey Everyone,

Like most people on this thread, I am undergoing my preliminary courses. So far I have enjoyed school so far although what I have noticed, like all of us on here, is that there is an increase in workload and expectation. As with the expectations, I am doing Advance English and I feel as if I am not competent enough to take it. As well as that, the teacher has given some practice unseen text activities which the teacher explains as being much harder than the actual assessment itself. What I am asking for, is how could I possibly perform to the best of my ability when doing unseen text practice activities? Can I familiarize myself with visual, literary and poetic techniques? Should I ask for more practice papers? I just want to perform to the best of my ability and establish a good foundation in prelim that I could carry onto HSC. Thanks

donkily

HSC
N/A
Hey Everyone,

Like most people on this thread, I am undergoing my preliminary courses. So far I have enjoyed school so far although what I have noticed, like all of us on here, is that there is an increase in workload and expectation. As with the expectations, I am doing Advance English and I feel as if I am not competent enough to take it. As well as that, the teacher has given some practice unseen text activities which the teacher explains as being much harder than the actual assessment itself. What I am asking for, is how could I possibly perform to the best of my ability when doing unseen text practice activities? Can I familiarize myself with visual, literary and poetic techniques? Should I ask for more practice papers? I just want to perform to the best of my ability and establish a good foundation in prelim that I could carry onto HSC. Thanks
Yes to all your Q's

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Hey Everyone,

Do some practice ones under time conditions and ask your teacher for feedback. Familiarise yourself with techniques so you can apply them to your answers. Check ARC Bostes to find example band 6 responses to short answer section (paper 1 section 1).

donkily

HSC
N/A
Do some practice ones under time conditions and ask your teacher for feedback. Familiarise yourself with techniques so you can apply them to your answers. Check ARC Bostes to find example band 6 responses to short answer section (paper 1 section 1).
Only problem is that is that if his school does a school based AOS such as identity, then it's harder to find resources online unless u ask teachers (I swear teachers these days are dodgy af and dont give out a tonne of past papers to students)

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
What ATAR and uni goals do people have? Mine is:

97 ATAR (I'm kidding myself) <---- 5+ points for being regional (so really I'm alright with ~ 93)

Bachelor of Law/Bachelor of Advanced Science at Macquarie University

HoldingOn

HSC
I want to self-learn the differentiation/calculus content for year 11- which textbook/resources are best to use and are there any tips/tricks that would help. Thanks in advance.

sodiumziha

HSC
What ATAR and uni goals do people have? Mine is:

97 ATAR (I'm kidding myself) <---- 5+ points for being regional (so really I'm alright with ~ 93)

Bachelor of Law/Bachelor of Advanced Science at Macquarie University
lmao lowkey my goal is 85+ (wanna get into Bachelor Secondary Ed/Bachelor Science @Usyd). And if that fails (other than getting disowned) Nursing (83) @Usyd

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
I want to self-learn the differentiation/calculus content for year 11- which textbook/resources are best to use and are there any tips/tricks that would help. Thanks in advance.
The year 11 part of calculus isn't difficult at all and really probably one of the most straight forward things. Just make sure you know all the rules back to front. I learnt it by myself with MIF but I think NSM might be better. There's also heaps of notes people have made in the resource section that you could take a look at. Just make sure you have a pretty solid foundation of trigonometry and linear functions.

Frostguard

HSC
lol same literally happy with 88 atar (psychological science majoring in Criminology at UNSW) or if that doesnt work then 84 Criminology also at UNSW (I'm able to get 6 extra points yeahhhhh just for getting high bands, with the HSC PLUS bonus points scheme) I wish I could do law or actual psychology but yeah you need that almost perfect 99 atar ;_; oh yeah and have you guys been bombarded with your all assessment notifications? All my 6 subjects have exams or assignments lol I'm trying so hard not to procastinate

sodiumziha

HSC
lol same literally happy with 88 atar (psychological science majoring in Criminology at UNSW) or if that doesnt work then 84 Criminology also at UNSW (I'm able to get 6 extra points yeahhhhh just for getting high bands, with the HSC PLUS bonus points scheme) I wish I could do law or actual psychology but yeah you need that almost perfect 99 atar ;_; oh yeah and have you guys been bombarded with your all assessment notifications? All my 6 subjects have exams or assignments lol I'm trying so hard not to procastinate
lmao hmu when you score up on NCIS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)