2018ers Preliminary Chit Chat Thread (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

heiresss

HSC
About to get math ext 1 back tomorrow with a very high chance of failing. Yay.

Cryptic

HSC
N/A
'It's only prelim'

Legit all the people in my cohort are saying...

Frostguard

HSC
Q: To those doing economics, is eco difficult? And is there a lot of content to memorise?

― I'm tempted to pick physics since no one does eco (like approx 16 last year) everyone does buissness but the physics department is crap, the only thing my school's good at is maths also the teachers reccomend that we don't do all three sciences.
As of now, I wouldn't say that Economics is easy, Prelim course has 6 topics and I've done the first three, and boi there is a lot of memorisation to be done with all sorts of diagrams, definitions and explanations.. I'll probably drop Economics and pick up History Extension because I'm a History student but honestly go ahead and try Economics, I thought it would be like Commerce but it wasn't but I don't regret choosing it, despite my average marks and the fact that there is a lot of content involved that can easily be remembered though. Just remember it's up to you and if you don't think Economics is the right subject for you then choose Physics (I can understand why teachers recommend not choosing all 3 sciences because it limits your future career paths and all that, but if you REALLY enjoy science then by all means choose it :)
I'm spending my holidays writing notes for topic 3 imao but it's ok it's not as horrible as I'm making it out to be lol

HoldingOn

HSC
Q: To those doing economics, is eco difficult? And is there a lot of content to memorise?

― I'm tempted to pick physics since no one does eco (like approx 16 last year) everyone does buissness but the physics department is crap, the only thing my school's good at is maths also the teachers reccomend that we don't do all three sciences.
It's not to difficult- I think the biggest difficulty is staying away from rote learning and actually making sure you understand concepts. At my school people got smashed in the first test because they tried to rote learn and didn't actually understand the content...

si2136

HSC
N/A
Economics isn't really content heavy, just make sure you understand the concepts in year 11 because they go more in depth in year 12. Everyone is different, but personally, Economics is really interesting. You'll be able to apply it in real life and the HSC topics that you do in yr 11&12 are covered in university. Eco doesn't scale that bad, just a bit behind Phys and Chem but some years Eco scales better, as Rathin said, depends on the cohort. It's not a rote learning subject, although essays can be memorised, but that will just guarantee you just a high band 5 if you are lucky in the externals.

gaslight

HSC
N/A
Economics isn't really content heavy, just make sure you understand the concepts in year 11 because they go more in depth in year 12. Everyone is different, but personally, Economics is really interesting. You'll be able to apply it in real life and the HSC topics that you do in yr 11&12 are covered in university. Eco doesn't scale that bad, just a bit behind Phys and Chem but some years Eco scales better, as Rathin said, depends on the cohort. It's not a rote learning subject, although essays can be memorised, but that will just guarantee you just a high band 5 if you are lucky in the externals.
It's not to difficult- I think the biggest difficulty is staying away from rote learning and actually making sure you understand concepts. At my school people got smashed in the first test because they tried to rote learn and didn't actually understand the content...
Okay, thanks for the info people appreciate the answers.

Last edited:

jodongo

HSC
Apparently we'll be the last batch to graduate under the "NSW" syllabus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)