2019 HSC Chemistry (1 Viewer)

Black_satire

HSC
I want to know how much of the preliminary course will appear in the new HSC.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi, I tutor the subjects so have a good knowledge on this area. Basically most of the content you learn won't be specifically used in Year 12 (year 12 Chem is actually sort of different from year 11), but if you don't have a solid base on concepts such as moles and the associated calculations with that you will struggle in the year 12 course as calculations are more difficult. Other areas that crossover are writing and balancing chemical equations (but now they probably won't be giving you marks in an exam usually for this but it is implied that you know how to do this because you need this to be able to do calculations). Particularly, for writing chemical equations you need to know about the main general equations which you can then apply to specific examples such as:
- What happens when you react an acid and base (acid + base --> salt + water)
- What happens when you react an acid with a metal (acid + metal --> salt + h2 gas)
- What happens when you react acid with metal carbonate (acid + base --> salt + water + CO2 gas)
- Combustion reactions (fuel + o2 --> co2 + h2o

These are some examples of the equations still used in the year 12 course from year 11. Within that it's implied as well that you know how to find chemical formulas for covalent and ionic compounds as otherwise you can't write the equation

Other than that key areas I would say that are also helpful are understanding how intermolecular forces work --> because you will be asked questions on boiling points and physical properties of molecules in carbon chemistry (module 7).

Entropy understanding is also useful because it reappears briefly in module 5

Other than that though a lot of the content wont be specifically used in year 12, but it is helpful to know because aside from the rote learning content the ability to analyse things in a chemistry mindset and answer exam questions are skills you will learn in year 11.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)