• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

2023 HSC chat (3 Viewers)

Rattlehead15

HSC
Nah. Natural talent all the way.

I will never be as smart as a Ruse kid. Maybe if I work hard, a NSB kid, but never Ruse. Those guys are insanely smart.

I studied my ass off for english, wrote practice essays, wrote study paragraphs, and got slightly below average. FOR ENGLISH FUCKING STANDARD

Comparitevly I did three times less work for math extension and advanced. My Extension mark was in the 40th percentile, whilist my advance mark was in the 95th percentile. Extension wasn't ideal, but my projected atar is like 75, so idgaf about teh difference between 90 atar or 94 atar for 1 unit. My study behaviour for Math was kinda gross. I stopped doing homework, and started sleeping in class halfway through and never remembered to bring any study material. And I don't do any tutoring. I mean I'm not very good at math, but I'm better than most my class.

I didn't study for Physics and I got above average. Like I never did homeowrk and learnt most the content a week before the exam. My mark wasn't very good, but my teacher says band 4 at least, and all I need is a 75 atar so again idgaf.

There is this guy at my school who's friends with all the nerds, probably studies way more than me, and wrecks me in English, but I beat him in Physics and Mathematics with way less effort. He acutally does all the work and worksheets, and I talk with my friends.

Natural talent 100 percent
I disagree. Many James Ruse kids are likely of average natural talent. They just work insanely hard. Obviously there will be some who are child prodigies but a lot work non stop I would imagine. If you worked as hard as a James Ruse kid Id expect youd get similar marks due to your suposed natural talent.

Rattlehead15

HSC
Intelligence is the ability to learn content fast and effectively. You can make up for low intelligence with hard work. However at a certain point it's gonna be impossible. Hard work and prep can make up for low intelligence, but some high intelligence guy will probably win overall.

So yes theoretically if a dumb person works super duper hard, they can get a smart person's mark, but in practice it's not gonna happen.

If 17 year Einstein was in ur school, would you be able to best him in Physics and Math?
I agree with this take more. Some people are so un naturally talented that not even hard work can make up for it. And some people are so naturally talented that they can be lazy and get great success.

vvert2023

HSC
Screen Shot 2023-08-23 at 3.21.48 pm.png
What do we reckon?

I reckon I gotta become an academic weapon in between now and the HSC.

Lemme add some context:
1. I'm very confident in my EXT2 major
2. I don't study but I'm naturally pre book-smart hence talent + hard work = results

yolo tengo

mitsuya's fanboy
HSC
View attachment 39429
What do we reckon?

Lemme add some context:
2. I don't study but I'm naturally pre book-smart hence talent + hard work = results
oof maths std and business is not in ur favour rn u gotta grind for the hsc

eternallyboreduser

HSC
N/A
I disagree. Many James Ruse kids are likely of average natural talent. They just work insanely hard. Obviously there will be some who are child prodigies but a lot work non stop I would imagine. If you worked as hard as a James Ruse kid Id expect youd get similar marks due to your suposed natural talent.
+ parents who can afford all their 10 million dollars a term tutoring

Interdice

HSC
How have they not killed themselves? A 99 atar is insane. I personally DGAF about my subjects or atar(need only 75) so my internals are ass. In uni im gonna be scared of Ruse kids because of their intelligence. Do you know any Ruse kids?

I did tutoring with a Normanhurst kid I believe and guy was much smarter than me. Learnt content faster. More accurate results etc. Admitedly this was in year 11 when i ranked in 5th percentile for Extension and 60th percentile for Advanced, and studied much harder. I got better after doing past papers instead of textbook.

My school's ranked 150. All smart kids do Ext 2 and are much smarter than advanced. If i was smart, id go to Sydney Tech. I didnt even get a 90 percent in my advanced trial.

Imo its not right to discredit ruse kids. They insanely smart and hardworking and will probably be rich :(. If u do ur coping

Last edited:

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
View attachment 39429
What do we reckon?

Lemme add some context:
can I ask how you predicted your internal scaling?? bc I've also been calculating weighted internal average as soon as ive been getting trial marks back-- did you use rawmarks database??

mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa

HSC
How have they not killed themselves? A 99 atar is insane. I personally DGAF about my subjects or atar(need only 75) so my internals are ass. In uni im gonna be scared of Ruse kids because of their intelligence. Do you know any Ruse kids?

I did tutoring with a Normanhurst kid I believe and guy was much smarter than me. Learnt content faster. More accurate results etc. Admitedly this was in year 11 when i ranked in 5th percentile for Extension and 60th percentile for Advanced, and studied much harder. I got better after doing past papers instead of textbook.

My school's ranked 150. All smart kids do Ext 2 and are much smarter than advanced. If i was smart, id go to Sydney Tech. I didnt even get a 90 percent in my advanced trial.

Imo its not right to discredit ruse kids. They insanely smart and hardworking and will probably be rich :(. If u do ur coping
do you think it will magically change it uni? your work ethic. I doubt it.

Last edited:

Interdice

HSC
how tf do you know an anonymous user who hasn't said bs about their school, plus you graduated a year ahead - unless you went to the same school?
He doesn't. he's bluffing. Studetns from my school use this forum frequently. I think I even saw this thread open once on a computer in the library. I won't be suspected, because most students in the school aren't aware of my existance, and don't know the full story.

Last edited:

Interdice

HSC
do you think it will magically change it uni? your work ethic. I doubt it.
Oh my work ethic is garbage. Chatgpt did half my assessments. But a 75 atar isn't that bad. Besides failing irrelevant crap such as Physics, Chemistry, Economics, English doesn't matter. I hate SDD. People say that computer science is just applied math. And i'm decent at math. My teacher said that my Physics trial result was a low band 5. Maybe to a selective school kid that's bad, but I think it's good. And I litterally learnt half of it in a week. I beat extension 2 students who try much harder than I. ANd I don't think I paid attention in Physics once. I spoke about asian girls wiht my asian friends.

But I will at least try to improve my work ethic. I don't intend on getting any friends so no social life to manage. I might join the gym to boost stamina. I suspect I might have ADHD, so I'll try to get adderall.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)