• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

2024 HSC Chat (13 Viewers)

thelittlepotatofrog

HSC
i yapped a lot about historical context in mine, linking it to my themes of hope, individuality, and repression and my teachers said they really liked it. if u have lots of historical context then link it to the story being a sort of cautionary warning to readers about totalitarianism i think it shows that you understand the meaning of the book and orwells intentions

eg in mine i talked about stalinist policies linking it to the memory hole, orwells work as a propagandist for BBC during WW2 and the atomisation of society similar to nazi germany
interesting, I feel my essay is pretty thin, like I understand the text but I haven't gone deep enough but I'm not really sure how yk

weeze

HSC
interesting, I feel my essay is pretty thin, like I understand the text but I haven't gone deep enough but I'm not really sure how yk
i think maybe historical context of Orwell and the world during the time he wrote 1984 may help show more depth and understanding in your essay especially if you link it to your points/themes well so it can also be like evidence. if u do modern history it can especially help since theres a lot of similarities between the power and authority topic and the book

thelittlepotatofrog

HSC
i think maybe historical context of Orwell and the world during the time he wrote 1984 may help show more depth and understanding in your essay especially if you link it to your points/themes well so it can also be like evidence. if u do modern history it can especially help since theres a lot of similarities between the power and authority topic and the book
ty 🙏

thelittlepotatofrog

HSC
i yapped a lot about historical context in mine, linking it to my themes of hope, individuality, and repression and my teachers said they really liked it. if u have lots of historical context then link it to the story being a sort of cautionary warning to readers about totalitarianism i think it shows that you understand the meaning of the book and orwells intentions

eg in mine i talked about stalinist policies linking it to the memory hole, orwells work as a propagandist for BBC during WW2 and the atomisation of society similar to nazi germany
this is what was said when I asked earlier
I did worse on the trial, my better 1984 essay was for internals

willy_g0706

HSC
Do yous have your actual essay that you wrote on the day typed out or no? what was feedback given by markers

thelittlepotatofrog

HSC
Do yous have your actual essay that you wrote on the day typed out or no? what was feedback given by markers
I do, but the feedback basically says u did great but link to the question more, however I feel that if that was the only issue I would have gotten a higher mark

willy_g0706

HSC
I do, but the feedback basically says u did great but link to the question more, however I feel that if that was the only issue I would have gotten a higher mark
Well that doesn't necessarily mean you would've got a higher mark no. Linking to the question probably the most important part of every essay. If I was you I'd practise applying your memorised essay to a range of different questions and get feedback on those.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 6, Guests: 7)