• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

2024 HSC Chat (20 Viewers)

aqwerty13402

HSC
I thought Pacino values women and stuff, cause of 3rd wave feminism. I been seeing all different things online. Anyone know?
u can lit say anything as long as u back it up. Its like with TS eliot. I know @carrotsss 's T.S Eliot Essay (from which i stole lots of evidence), he spoke about how Eliot finds meaning through spirituality in Magi. My essay is the opposite, saying that he is still devoid of meaning even in amidst of a spiritual renewal. For English you can argue most points as long as you have the right evidence.

Ksalu

>:))
HSC
So I had forgotten to link my prescribed text in the introduction, and the other comments were on clarity and being specific. I do think I need a completely different structure
I think your structure is fine, just a few tweaks here and there. Just when you get you into your analysis of your own text, link back to your prescribed text, do something along the lines of:
"Inspired by Brook's 'A Home in Fiction' in its emphasis on the power of words and by extension writing..."
"Mirroring Brook's extended metaphor of building a wall, my text similarly employs the extended metaphor of x to

For techniques, I recommend 'macro techniques' (techniques that deals with the structure i.e type of narration, motif, extended metaphor, vignettes, flashbacks, characterization, epigraph etc"

As for word count, if its a 10/10 split between creative and reflection, spend half the time on your reflection. For me personally, since I write around 28 words per minute and I have 20 minutes to write a reflection, my reflection should be roughly 560 words. Your word count for reflection shouldn't be set in stone but rather reflect the mark allocation.

I also 100% agree with what Radioheadfan42 said about personal voice and the 60/70%

Just my take.

sainzsgf

HSC
WAIT NO IM A STUPID BITCH I WAS RUSHING SWITCH IT AROUND. I MEAN
ESSAY: HR AND FINANCE
REPORT: MARKETING AND OPERATIONS
this would be a really good outcome i think marketing and operations is easy to yap about in the report, and wouldn't mind a finance essay ngl

hscccc

HSC
I thought Pacino values women and stuff, cause of 3rd wave feminism. I been seeing all different things online. Anyone know?
def not - he cuts out all the women scenes from lfr, reduces them to impotent characters there to serve his own ambition and plot. he deliberately casts a young, naive actress AND THEN CUTS ALLLL HER SCENES way to go

sainzsgf

HSC
lmao im not starting till sunday
no real mod c is the only one i don't give an absolute shit if i tank. besides unless you pay for your paper, you'll never know how those marks were distributed THEREFORE we'll never know what we got in mod c. if ill never know its not worth stressing over lmao. end of my ted talk

katiekms

it’s like a big train wreck (la la la)
HSC
def not - he cuts out all the women scenes from lfr, reduces them to impotent characters there to serve his own ambition and plot. he deliberately casts a young, naive actress AND THEN CUTS ALLLL HER SCENES way to go
wait i know nothing about this dude, isn’t it hurting him to do that? waste money on casting and filming someone if you just cut all their scenes anyway?

hscccc

HSC
wait i know nothing about this dude, isn’t it hurting him to do that? waste money on casting and filming someone if you just cut all their scenes anyway?
the whole thing is weird bc i dont think he ever actually put out the film? all he did was release the docudrama which is a weird hybrid of a doc with random actual filmed scenes throughout. he cast winona ryder and she was literally in it for 2 minutes max

radioheadfan42

HSC
I think your structure is fine, just a few tweaks here and there. Just when you get you into your analysis of your own text, link back to your prescribed text, do something along the lines of:
"Inspired by Brook's 'A Home in Fiction' in its emphasis on the power of words and by extension writing..."
"Mirroring Brook's extended metaphor of building a wall, my text similarly employs the extended metaphor of x to

For techniques, I recommend 'macro techniques' (techniques that deals with the structure i.e type of narration, motif, extended metaphor, vignettes, flashbacks, characterization, epigraph etc"

As for word count, if its a 10/10 split between creative and reflection, spend half the time on your reflection. For me personally, since I write around 28 words per minute and I have 20 minutes to write a reflection, my reflection should be roughly 560 words. Your word count for reflection shouldn't be set in stone but rather reflect the mark allocation.

I also 100% agree with what Radioheadfan42 said about personal voice and the 60/70%

Just my take.
YES MACRO TECHNIQUES ALL THE WAY!! This is what i always use for evidence, its super flexible. Both in my essays and in creatives i will always choose a macro technique, its a lot more straightforward to talk about, and it helps your analysis feel much more "rounded"...in the sense that its connecting to the entire text. Its easier to talk about it as a whole, like, as a whole piece for lack of any better term.

This reminds me a little of how i do unseens. When looking at a unseen text i always look for macro first. Like how long the sentences are, weather they are super long and flowy or if theyre quick, snappy and straight to the point. How its sectioned, or how its structured, or if theres any consistencies in the metaphors they use...
ie, if a text is criticising, lets say industrialisation...they may imbue a whole lot of references to things like smoke, or soot, or metal, Plasticine...often they may physically decribe something in a way thats super hyper-specifc to this theme, even if its an object or thing you wouldnt at all associate it with. Ie, lets say a pair of black boots. An author COULD say they are "midnight black", or just "black", but if they say - for instance - "tar-coloured" boots that IMMEDIATELY gives me at least a really icky sensation. You wouldnt ever associate those two together, and it makes for a really powerful image.

Of course, only use evidence like this if its relevant to the question but what im saying is...look for things which SOUND really unique too, because theres probably a reason why. Go with your gut! A text is supposed to be read after all :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 5, Guests: 15)