• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

2024 HSC Chat (36 Viewers)

mysterymarkmachine

HSC
so basically you had to create a 5 number summary for each of the graphs. after doing that you’d find that they all the same summaries except for D, so it had to be D. why do you think it was C?
people are overthinking it...it's C because you can count the median on each graph (which is at place 8.5 on all 4 - all total to 16), but on C there is nothing for where the median is supposed to be. so it just doesn't work irrespective of the box plot

spiderfan44

HSC

it's been confirmed
i didnt notice it was ai when i was in the exam tbh. i saw a lot of people complaining on reddit bcuz ai doesnt use visual technique and how can you analyse something not made by a human, but its a 6 mark compare question it really wasnt that hard to identify the techniques of the image. i think the actual issue is that its stealing from other artists and photographers. its going to be a weird legal issue where i highly doubt nesa will show the image when the paper gets uploaded to nesas site just to avoid lawsuits

katiekms

/bænd/
HSC
people are overthinking it...it's C because you can count the median on each graph (which is at place 8.5 on all 4 - all total to 16), but on C there is nothing for where the median is supposed to be. so it just doesn't work irrespective of the box plot
I don’t think that’s how that works. Since there’s no value you just average the 8th and 9th value, that’s how medians work. i made box plots for C and D, and D is different. I already said that the five number summaries are all the same except for D, how can that be argued against when it directly affects the box plot?IMG_0696.jpegIMG_0695.jpeg

vajayjay

HSC
Exactly. 15 is C (8 in advanced). The people who selected D honestly deserved to get it wrong for trying to be a "smartass". Like I'm pretty sure question 15 (question 8 for advanced) is an iq question. If you got that wrong, your iq is definitely below 100 (no offense). IQ questions normally ask you to find the odd one out just like this. I hope NESA doesn't award the people who selected D, it's clearly possible the boxplot can look like that. Legit I just spent 30 minutes making data sets based of this and I could literally sketch a full fledged normally distributed box and whisker plot.
View attachment 45221
Being so loud and wrong is hilarious.

ihatehsc24

the screen to the ring to the pen to the king
HSC
I don’t think that’s how that works. Since there’s no value you just average the 8th and 9th value, that’s how medians work. i made box plots for C and D, and D is different. I already said that the five number summaries are all the same except for D, how can that be argued against when it directly affects the box plot?View attachment 45240View attachment 45241
NESA making us invest so much time for 1 mcq smh

radioheadfan42

HSC
UPDATE! I underestimated my ability to recall information for modern…i have no idea if I was just absolutely having a BRAIN BLAST during trials, because I did a lot less study but finished all the questions on the paper no worries. Man.

I have been humbled. Stalin, you grey blur you…

I did not get to apartheid IM SORRY APARTHEID!!

clearly, I'm expecting my band 6 in the mail ;)

mysterymarkmachine

HSC
I don’t think that’s how that works. Since there’s no value you just average the 8th and 9th value, that’s how medians work. i made box plots for C and D, and D is different. I already said that the five number summaries are all the same except for D, how can that be argued against when it directly affects the box plot?View attachment 45240View attachment 45241
yes, the average of the 8th and 9th value is 8.5. therefore the median is in the 8.5th place for all graphs. using this logic you can figure out the median for A,B,D which is in the middle column and is symmetrical(like the box plot). but if this is used for C, then the median would be 0 because the 8.5th place is nothing. which is wrong

katiekms

/bænd/
HSC
yes, the average of the 8th and 9th value is 8.5. therefore the median is in the 8.5th place for all graphs. using this logic you can figure out the median for A,B,D which is in the middle column and is symmetrical(like the box plot). but if this is used for C, then the median would be 0 because the 8.5th place is nothing. which is wrong
once again, that’s not how that works. you just skip to the next data point. the same idea goes for a stem and leaf plot, just because theres values in the 10s place and values in the 30s place and no values in the 20s place doesn’t mean the median is 0. i don’t think you understand how this graph works.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 36)