2nd year fundamental biochem vs advance biochem (1 Viewer)

Tim035

HSC
Can anyone shed some light on the difficulty level between these two courses? Or are they pretty similar kinda like advanced vs fundamental chem.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
The advanced course has more laboratory components when I did it. I think lecture materials are similar.

I wouldn't worry about biochem if you wish to major in Path, Physio, or Pharm.

Tim035

HSC
So I've been told...
I'm just following the course manual though, so If I don't do biochem I'm not overly sure what else I could do for a 4th subjects this semester.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
I mean it is entirely up to you. Personally I don't thin biochemistry is harder than subjects like physiology or histology. There is a lot of contents to be learnt in any of these courses.

Biochemistry is definitely useful and can actually supplement your learning in physiology and pathology because of the way diseases work.

Tim035

HSC
True, and from the bit of researching I've done it does actually look interesting. When we did a bit of it in BABS like glycolysis etc.. I did find that pretty cool to learn about.

FeelBare

HSC
Hey Tim, did you choose BIOC2101 in the end? I can't seem to find the lecture notes anywhere. It's just blank? :shock:

ichiraku

HSC
I can't find the lecture notes either but I guess they just haven't posted them up yet. I was checking up the bookshop textlist and it said we had to grab some Course Notes for $13.50. Was there even any mention of this in the lecture?

Tim035

HSC
I've stuck with adv biochem, for better or for worse who knows yet...
Due to those gigantic ques at central in the morn I was 15 mins late to the 1st biochem lecture so not sure whether he mentioned the course pack or not, however I'd imagine it contains the prac manual so it'd be a must to get. I'm trying to hunt down a 2nd hand textbook atm, but with a test in week 3!! not sure how long I can put off not having one.

Edit- Yeah the lecture notes definatly havn't gone up yet, but they are handing them out at lectures atm. Everything so far has still just been high school / BABS1201 revision anywho... I'm anticipating a dramatic jump in difficulty mid next week.

Last edited:

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
wats your major tim?

im doing fundamentals....

those queues went from the bus stop to the tunnel on tuesday- i was there from 8:30 to 8:50!! and at unsw the road was packed so i went in like 15 mins late

Tim035

HSC
My major is most likely going to be physiology / pharmacology. I already love what we are doing in physiology with cell membrane transport, cell potential and all that stuff.
I'm tempted to get the textbook, but at the same time I know this is the only biochem course I'll ever take.... They do have those links on webct to what are basically online textbooks so I'll see how I do with those maybe at 1st.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)