2nd year transfer to Adv Maths USYD from Engineering USYD (1 Viewer)

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
According to:

http://sydney.edu.au/science/cstudent/ug/forms/transfer.shtml

A very limited number of students from other Faculties in the University of Sydney may be able to make an internal transfer (i.e. not through UAC).

This includes some students in the Bachelor of Engineering who wish to transfer to the Bachelor of Science under Resolution 100 in the Science Handbook, Bachelor of Liberal Studies students who wish to transfer to the Bachelor of Science and students studying a combined law degree wishing to transfer to Science/Laws.
If I do a BEng in USYD, while doing the appropriate Adv Maths units (MATH1901 and etc), will I be able to internally transfer to 2nd year BSc (Adv Maths). Or would I need to start it again?

Thank you

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
According to:

http://sydney.edu.au/science/cstudent/ug/forms/transfer.shtml

If I do a BEng in USYD, while doing the appropriate Adv Maths units (MATH1901 and etc), will I be able to internally transfer to 2nd year BSc (Adv Maths). Or would I need to start it again?

Thank you
I am not sure tbh (best to call the uni) but why are you so intent on the internal transfer?

Applying through UAC is fairly straightforward if you cannot internally transfer. You can get credit points transferred over.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
I am not sure tbh (best to call the uni) but why are you so intent on the internal transfer?

Applying through UAC is fairly straightforward if you cannot internally transfer. You can get credit points transferred over.
Hmm ok I see, if I can transfer credit over for the maths courses, would I still need to do some other science units? (I'd already do some in my BEng first year)

I need to know whether I can or not because I'm pretty much 50/50 split between a BEng and BSc Adv Maths course and if I can just do BEng and then change my mind I'll just go over to BSc since the first year subjects are very similar and there is the exact same maths content.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Why didn't you just choose a dual degree with Adv. Math and Eng. together. Then after first year/semester, drop one part of the degree and you are left with the one you want to do.

I can't really help much though as I don't understand the system at USyd.

I'll let someone know who might be able to help.

D94

HSC
N/A
Although I'm not from USYD, I think there is some useful information in that link which you may have missed.

See:
Credit for prior tertiary study
Most students who accept a transfer will need to apply for credit from their previous degree.

For more information, please visit the undergraduate credit for prior tertiary study information.
(applies for internal and external transfers)

That links to:
http://sydney.edu.au/science/cstudent/ug/forms.shtml#credit

And in the information sheet: http://sydney.edu.au/science/cstudent/ug/forms/information_credit.pdf

It says:

Bachelor of Science (Advanced), Bachelor of Science (Advanced Mathematics), Bachelor of Science (Advanced)/Bachelor of
Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery and Bachelor of Science (Advanced)/Bachelor of Arts

New students enrolling into an Advanced Science award course that have undertaken prior study can apply for credit. It is unusual for study
undertaken at another institution to be granted credit for Advanced-level units of study. This is not a problem for students applying for only
Junior units of study because there is no requirement to take Junior units of study at the Advanced level.

If you have undertaken more than one year of prior study before entering into an Advanced award course you may not be entitled to credit
for all study undertaken. You should ensure that you will be able to meet Intermediate and Senior requirements for the Advanced degree
before lodging your application and/or accepting offered credit.
Not sure if that helps though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)