2nd yr maths? (1 Viewer)

aj12

HSC
N/A
I'm thinking about taking intermediate maths and possibly doing a maths major. My other major would probably be neuro/anat.
I was originally thinking of doing neuro and anat double major but I think that it might be too rote-heavy and doing maths would give me more of a balance.

I've always enjoyed maths but don't think I am good enough at it to major in it. I definitely think that it was much easier to get Ds in first year maths than bio/chem, but am afraid of how difficult 2nd yr maths will be.

Sorry for rambling the questions are
1. How much of a leap is it from 1st year maths to 2nd year maths? Is it much harder to get high marks?

2. Which 2nd year maths unit (first semester) would you recommend for me? (MATH2061/MATH2069/MATH2962)
I am not good at abstract/visual maths......I have gotten Ds in math1003 and math1001 and 71 in math1002.

antheung

HSC
N/A
2. Which 2nd year maths unit (first semester) would you recommend for me? (MATH2061/MATH2069/MATH2962)
I am not good at abstract/visual maths......I have gotten Ds in math1003 and math1001 and 71 in math1002.
If you think you are not good at abstract maths, then you should probably avoid MATH2962 in Semester 1 and MATH2968 in Semester 2, because they are full of definitions and proofs, which, in some cases, could be quite abstract. Without these two units, you wouldn't have the background knowledge to do 3rd year units in pure maths like MATH3961 and MATH3962 (you could still get enrolled in those subjects, if you have a credit average in 2nd year, but you would have to catch up on the material by yourself), so you would probably only be able to do applied maths subjects in 3rd year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)