2U Maths Exam Thoughts (1 Viewer)

Benno222

HSC
Just with those solutions, wasn't 13cii) at P(110), as it was in 2020? and 15ci) =81/4, as the simpsons rule and definite area had to be equal? I am probably just wrong tho.

sourish

HSC
After seeing those answers I think I got between 94-96. Would what that align to?
I think got around 94 as well. If the paper was around as difficult as 2013, I think it would align to 96 or 97. An 96 would probably align to a 98. All really depends on how the state did. I guess you just have to hope for good alignment.

Last edited:

bjw22

HSC
*falls off chair*
*clutches throat*
*reaches forward grappling for receding ATAR*

I made so many errors what is wrong with me.

Just like to say you're welcome in advance - my dodgy mark will aid you all in achieving your dreams as I push you all up.

Last edited:

sourish

HSC
Just with those solutions, wasn't 13cii) at P(110), as it was in 2020? and 15ci) =81/4, as the simpsons rule and definite area had to be equal? I am probably just wrong tho.
I'm pretty sure you're right and those are mistakes.

ashestoashes

HSC
I'm around 88-90, but those last few qs were the real differentiator it moves you a few marks, barely anyone I spoke to got them. I'm hoping for a movement of 4-5, but according to many teachers and tutors we are a weak state this year, so hopefully the alignment is good.

photastic

HSC
Credit to harrowed2 for uploading the exam paper.

Having taught the subject since 2014, here are my objective opinions for this year's exam.

Multiple Choice: Like every year, there are always a couple of questions you have never seen before and you have to apply your knowledge. Otherwise, this year's MCQs is quite standard with 2 of them being new. Most of the questions are simply recycled that you would've done from past HSC and trial examinations.

Q11: Boring, free marks.

Q12: Again boring, easy marks.

Q13: Probably easier than Q12 since all questions are easier versions of what you would've seen in previous years.

Q14: This is where things start getting interesting. I reckon students would do silly things for the volume question and the NO stationary point question (stolen from VCE btw). Otherwise the rest you would've done similar questions from past papers.

Q15: Probably easier than Q14 since all questions are rehashed from previous years. E.G. Part a) rehashes ideas from 2013's wild horses question and part c) is again another bounded area question (this is tested nearly every year).

Q16: Different to the other Q16s from previous years. Part (a) is rehashing many cone questions from many trial papers such as Sydney Grammar, St.Georges and even the BOS trial. Part (b) rehashes ideas from 2013's probability question. Finally part (c) rehashes most of 2014's money question.

Feedback
1. Definitely a different feel compared with the past 3-5 years but nowhere near as difficult as 2013 (I still consider that exam the most difficult since the introduction of the MCQ format).
2. You should've done well if you practised consistently and understood the material (rather than rote learning and looking at the solutions before attempting!)
3. However, I would rate the difficulty not that much different to the past 4 years since the subject has been dumbed down a lot since then (You've seen the last questions of 2000-2011, they are much more complex).
4. I expect the B6 cut off to be roughly 82-85. 2U Mathematics does not align that well unfortunately with the exception of 2013. Again, this will depend on the quality of your cohort and this year's standards.

Otherwise, if mathematics is not a prerequisite for your desired university degree, kiss this subject goodbye forever.

I wish you all best of luck for the rest of the exams and your future endeavours.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)