2u maths - need help with question (1 Viewer)

zoepi

HSC
if it's a max/min problem don't you just find second derivative, if it's >0 it's a min etc?
just a thought, don't take my word for it haha, good luck.

funnytomato

HSC
first derivative f'(x)=0 at MIN/MAX
so just differentiate(chain rule) f(x) to get f'(x), and solve f'(x) = 0 for x value(s), say x=n if one of the solution(s) i.e. f'(n)=0

then differentiate f'(x) to get the second derivative f''(x)
evaluate f''(n), if it's positive, the point (n,f(n))a MIN
if -ve, it's a MAX

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Let's see.

We know that the river is 500 metres wide.

Hence by pythagoras,

Hence the total time of AB is

Now, BC is

The time is

Let us differentiate.

For maximum or minimum,

Editing. Someone check my algebra. I get an negative squared answer. Find the solution and then substitute into the original equation to find the time taken.

After that you would take the second derivative.

If the second derivative is greater than zero it is a minimum turning point. If it is less than zero, it is a maximum turning point. Is there something wrong with this question? Or am I on too much Maccas. Okay I don't think I am crazy.

Last edited:

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Okay, I am 99.99% sure there's something wrong with this question.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
It certainly has a glossy surface. But I cannot compute what textbook it is. The number 10 looks to be coloured. Could it be the second edition of MIF? If you look carefully there is an in print of a cyclic quadrilateral with a line coming out of it, presumably the cross section of some pole. Rules out Cambridge; the shape of the 10 is too round. The Coroneos book is also ruled out; the font is different. So the only book that I know off with a circle imprinted at the back of a maximum/minimum question is -

It's the MIF 2U book.

Last edited:

clry

HSC
It certainly has a glossy surface. But I cannot compute what textbook it is. The number 10 looks to be coloured. Could it be the second edition of MIF? If you look carefully there is an in print of a cyclic quadrilateral with a line coming out of it, presumably the cross section of some pole. Rules out Cambridge; the shape of the 10 is too round. The Coroneos book is also ruled out; the font is different. So the only book that I know off with a circle imprinted at the back of a maximum/minimum question is -

It's the MIF 2U book.
Correcto, and being the classy text book that it is, it only has the answer for part 1, and not part 2, which was where I was stumped :<

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Correcto, and being the classy text book that it is, it only has the answer for part 1, and not part 2, which was where I was stumped :<
The question is not possible. I have checked my algebra.

clry

HSC
Cheers for the process, I followed your work which made sense, so at least I got the process out of it. Thanks!

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Cheers for the process, I followed your work which made sense, so at least I got the process out of it. Thanks!
These are types of questions you will see in the 2U paper. You must be able to know how to do these.

clry

HSC
These are types of questions you will see in the 2U paper. You must be able to know how to do these.
Yeah, I understand what to do now.. I could do the previous ones, it's just this one, I got some ridiculous answer.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
The question is not possible. I have checked my algebra.
I think I worked on this question a few years ago. I recall some difficulties with the question. I think I broke it down into a few cases and treated each separately. Cannot remember where I kept my write-up.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
I think I worked on this question a few years ago. I recall some difficulties with the question. I think I broke it down into a few cases and treated each separately. Cannot remember where I kept my write-up.
Post solutions when you find it. :)

HSC
Uni Grad
ummm lol you guys, especially spiralflex,

the derivative obviously can't be zero, so 't' will be proportional to 'x', you can even think of it as a linear relationship, in this case the max/min of 't' lies in the extremes of the domain of 'x'

i.e. max at x=0, min at x=7

HSC
Uni Grad
for example, if:

then obviously there are no stationary pts but there still is a max/min for the given question, min at x=0, max at x=7 in my example, extremes of the domain

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)