2UNIT paper apparently needed 3UNIT skills!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Ghost1788

HSC
Mellonie said:
SO agreed,
i do 3 unit, n i definately believed this to be true. I saw the graph we had to draw 2-2cos2t in my 3unit JONES N COUCHMAN! i was like uno dambn. Then i was doing the past hsc extension 3unit paper, n their were like similar question in 2 unit this year. I was kicking my self i hadnt done 3 unit prepertion,before i would've done better in the 2 unit exam then

ITS UNfair for 2 unit ppl
that book has both the 2U syllabus and the 3U sylabus in it
my school uses it so that those students who start doing 3U can go down to 2U and not need to buy another book...

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
3 unit skills???...hmmm

No, not really, besides what excatly do u guys mean by saying the exam "required 3 unit skills"?....

Yes, after the exam I thought it may have been a little harder than previous yrs, but i knew ,my problem in the exam was time more so than difficulty...

I had another look at the exam the next day(yesterday), I can assure u It was long, and wordy (extremely wordy in some cases), But difficulty ... I found it similar in difficulty to previous yrs, my perception was extremely diff. compared to what i percieved the exam as being, inside the exam room... I found q10 (the first part) was exceptionaly easier than past yrs, but i guess i panicked in the exam room and the thought of having to go back and complete question which i skipped earlier on in the exam, prevented me from being able to concentrate on a startegic method to obtain the max. marks possible in the final half an hour i was left with, so u could almost say i wasted the last half an hour due to panick...

The majority of ppl i've spoken to (both ppl who do 2unit and those who do both 2 and 3 unit) said the exam was long... sometimes when time is not on ur side u see something as difficult and often it may prevent u from being able to think logically, this is the case especially in maths, often with an unlimited amount of time one can devise a solution to almost any problem, but like life, maths will often need solving with the boundaries of time restraints being in place..

I can assure u, the majority of ppl would have been able to figure out most questions had they been more prepared timewise...if ppl have done as they claim to have done "20 or so past papers"...I can assure u, ur porblem was not the difficulty of the test, it was time management.

chin music

HSC
N/A
physician said:
3 unit skills???...hmmm

No, not really, besides what excatly do u guys mean by saying the exam "required 3 unit skills"?....

Yes, after the exam I thought it may have been a little harder than previous yrs, but i knew ,my problem in the exam was time more so than difficulty...

I had another look at the exam the next day(yesterday), I can assure u It was long, and wordy (extremely wordy in some cases), But difficulty ... I found it similar in difficulty to previous yrs, my perception was extremely diff. compared to what i percieved the exam as being, inside the exam room... I found q10 (the first part) was exceptionaly easier than past yrs, but i guess i panicked in the exam room and the thought of having to go back and complete question which i skipped earlier on in the exam, prevented me from being able to concentrate on a startegic method to obtain the max. marks possible in the final half an hour i was left with, so u could almost say i wasted the last half an hour due to panick...

The majority of ppl i've spoken to (both ppl who do 2unit and those who do both 2 and 3 unit) said the exam was long... sometimes when time is not on ur side u see something as difficult and often it may prevent u from being able to think logically, this is the case especially in maths, often with an unlimited amount of time one can devise a solution to almost any problem, but like life, maths will often need solving with the boundaries of time restraints being in place..

I can assure u, the majority of ppl would have been able to figure out most questions had they been more prepared timewise...if ppl have done as they claim to have done "20 or so past papers"...I can assure u, ur porblem was not the difficulty of the test, it was time management.
Ye thats exactly wat i think as well. Once u start running out of time u start to panick and cant think straight. Especially if uve got questions to go back to (which was my exact problem too). But i still think that questions were harder then usual. Why do u think ppl ran out of time? Questions were long, worded and time consuming. But after looking at the paper yesterday i still reckon 8,9 and 10 were at parts 3 unit standard.

lauren_rose

TimmyDD said:
plus its about time 3 unit students started to get rewarded for taking on the harder subject rather than just via scaling. Maths trains ur ability to think...ur ability to problem solve...I think that was exactly what this paper was. Conceptually it may have been hard...but it sure rewarded those who can think.
that wasnt very polite! a two unit student may be just as intellectually capable as a three unit but chose not to do the subject for various reasons: such as already having a heavy work load for other subjects. three unit students should not be rewarded anymore than two unit! how is that fair? if a two unit puts in equal amount of work and effort as a three unit why should the three unit get awarded for it? i think u needed to think your logic through a little more before saying that!

chin music

HSC
N/A
lauren_rose said:
that wasnt very polite! a two unit student may be just as intellectually capable as a three unit but chose not to do the subject for various reasons: such as already having a heavy work load for other subjects. three unit students should not be rewarded anymore than two unit! how is that fair? if a two unit puts in equal amount of work and effort as a three unit why should the three unit get awarded for it? i think u needed to think your logic through a little more before saying that!
Omg, if a 2 unit student puts in as much effort as a 3 unit student, THEYLL GET THE SAME MARK. y would the 3 unit student get more. It was a hard 2 unit test not a hard 3 unit test!

HSC
k3tan said:
it's all relative.. 3u students will get slammed with a 4u question towards the end of their exam because 4u students also sit the exam. stfu.

by the way, the paper required no 3u knowledge.
thanks.

1/8 != 3/10,

Even 2unit students know this!

MarsBarz

HSC
Face it, you didn't need any 3 unit knowledge. And actually, I believe that he 2U kids have an advantage in that the only material they must study is 2U.
Most of the questions were easy 2U and a hell of a lot of the paper was year 11 work or even work which you should have done before (ie:pythagoras).

See most of the questions could be solved using very simple 2U methods. All you had to do was see the simplest method :).

For example, have a look at question 8b. I hear lots of people talking about polynomials and all kinds of other things when there is a very simple way of doing that question. They even told you to consider the difference of two areas. All you had to do was find the area of the circle in the 1st quadrant (which is year 7 work at most, A=PI.r2, then divide that by 4 to get the area in the 1st quadrant), and then you had to substract the area under the curve from 0 to 1.
So SHADED AREA = [(1/4).Area of circle] - [Integration of curve from 0 to 1]

See that is really basic 2 unit stuff.

Question 10 was far from impossible either. There was a very simple YEAR 11 method doing (10.a.i.).

All you had to do was sub the equation of the line with the equation of the curve and then use the year 11 roots of quadrilaterals thing.
ie:
y= x2
y = mx+b
Solving simultaneously
x2 = mx+b
x2-mx-b=0
Finding the roots of the equation,
A+B = -b/a = m
AB = c/a = -b

And that's it! It's purely year 11 stuff. The rest of the question wasn't too hard either.

I'm not trying to brag, I'm just saying that a lot of you complicated questions when there were simple ways of doing things.

I think it all comes down to a lot of 2U students trying to remember all the formulas, without having an understanding of where the formulas come from.

All you need to do is spot the simplest way of answering a question and then use the knowledge you have to solve it.

snickerdoodle

year of the dog
HSC
TimmyDD said:
plus its about time 3 unit students started to get rewarded for taking on the harder subject rather than just via scaling. Maths trains ur ability to think...ur ability to problem solve...I think that was exactly what this paper was. Conceptually it may have been hard...but it sure rewarded those who can think.
Oh man, I hoped no one would ever find out that I can't think. I guess 2 unit Mathematics proved to be my downfall.

I must say, 10b was definitely a little out of my league (and I'm considered by my teacher as a 'strong' 2u student). 10a was doable if you had the time and patience (which a lot of us did not), and 9 and 8 were difficult but mostly in a 2u students range of knowledge.

Lets just move on people. What's done is done. Excluding elitist 3u students who maintain it was soooo easy and they got 200/120, the majority of us encountered problems, and things will work out when everything is moderated :).

illmatic

NaS
HSC
it was a 2 unit paper through and through. after looking at it again right now ive realised that it's very do-able. i wish i wasnt sick. my luck is shit.

rama_v

HSC
It was most certainly a 2 unit paper. What I will say is that the only thing IMO that helped 3 unit students was the identity (A - B)2 = (A + B)2 - 4AB

You use it a bit in polynomials (sometimes). Yet even here I have seen questions in 2 unit textbooks that are very similar, e.g.
If 2x2 + 3x + 5 = 0 find the value of: (i) alpha + beta (ii) alpha*beta (iii)(alpha - beta)

Deriving the identity it is certainly 2 unit work.
As is the very last question which is quite simple if you had enough time, well within the range of any 2 unit student.

Ice man

HSC
i duno, id tend to take the word of professional maths teachers over kids

chinkyeye

HSC
physician said:
3 unit skills???...hmmm

nah c'mon, ok i havn't fnished ne past papers, but i did look at em and i did do 1 of da q10 part a's in a past paper, it was a loan repayment one, and that was piss easy compared to this q10 in 05 paper

firebug

I did a hell of a lot of study and am quite good at Maths (2unit level) my Maths teacher and tutur even said that while it was possible to do it at a two unit level it was too hard for most!! I struggled heaps and while not quite completely 3Unit it was pretty close. The time it took for most two units to get out the questions from 8-10 would mean you had to skinp on other sections unless you droped down from three unot through yr 12

aaaman

Banned
HSC
i though question 9 was easy, like it was tricky but the working out was straight forward. but question 10 was fucked....besides the names where unaustralian. wtf is Xuan (no offense Asian people)

rama_v

HSC
aaaman said:
i though question 9 was easy, like it was tricky but the working out was straight forward. but question 10 was fucked....besides the names where unaustralian. wtf is Xuan (no offense Asian people)
The names were specificaly chosen to match with the x, y coordinates u realise..
Xuan
Yvette

[Damo]

HSC
3unit skills were not needed. commen sense! y would 2unit examiners put 3u type qts in the exam!? The exam was relatively straight forward (exluding part 10(b)). The thing that threw many off was the amount of reading. take 10(b) for example. there was so much writing it was hard to differentiate which was useful info or not. hence the difficulty. but also the stress of the 'big hsc exam' played a significant role in its 'difficulty'.
My guess: 100ish/120= 94ish %

aaaman

Banned
HSC
how do u kno since ur not a maths teacher...dont assume things unless u have a Dip in Education or/and a degree with maths

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)