3 band 6's but didnt get a 90? (1 Viewer)

diametric

HSC
I got an E3 (37 in English Extension 2) which is equivalent to 74 out of 100, a band 4, and got an ATAR of 98.05. RAWR.

Yes, I realise it's only one unit; my combined english extensions added upto 80. So.. borderline band 5.

Schoey93

HSC
I got an E3 (37 in English Extension 2) which is equivalent to 74 out of 100, a band 4, and got an ATAR of 98.05. RAWR.

Yes, I realise it's only one unit; my combined english extensions added upto 80. So.. borderline band 5.
Why is everyone posting their successes? Is it to make the OP who got the same marks as you, but in different subjects with poor scaling, feel bad? Please refrain from listing your achievements. I'm sure it just makes the OP even more bitter and angry about UAC not awarding her an ATAR of >90.00 when her achievements and hard work clearly deserved it. 60% of her subjects got a Band 6 (SIX) result, 6/10 units.

So I think that UAC is being too harsh on her Polish Continuers subject - she got a band 6 in what I know to be a difficult, tiresome language. Yet UAC still scaled her down. Is this because of most of the Polish Continuers language students being from Poland and therefore doing superbly in the external assessment or HSC examination?

It reminds me of the scaling of Spanish Beginners - it is by all accounts an easier course than Spanish Continuers, but Beginners Spanish still scales better - with a higher, above average scaled mean. It's purely because most (well, okay, a lot) of the people doing Spanish (Continuers) are either fluent or native speakers of Spanish when they start the HSC course and therefore blitz it. Lots of people get an HSC mark of >90 therefore the subject's scaling done by UAC suffers. Not fair for the non natives! :bomb:

diametric

HSC
please stfu and go play in preliminary discussion. i am replying in response to the comment that you cannot get a 90+ atar with a band 4. it is clearly possible.

in response to the OP: you will be a good example to those who consider doing poor scalars in the future. unless youre confident of getting 95+ in a poorly scaling subject, don't do several poor scalars and then cry about it. it is absolutely ludicrous to say that UAC is unfair in its calculation of the ATAR. he scored a band 6 in english adv and a band 6 in pdhpe and polish. why should that be the equivalent of a band 6 in english adv, coupled with say, biology and chemistry? there is clearly a difference in difficulty between the subjects and uac acts so as to ensure fairness and equality across the board.

+ your argument that the OP is fail at polish continuers is negated by the fact that he got 94. its low scaling is due to the fact that most people attain a similar score and the cohort is much smaller than most other subjects (this yr polish (beginners+continuers) had a cohort of 35, and the highest mark of 98 actually scaled up to 98.8), and thus the percentage of band 6's are very high. this demonstrates that it is easier than say chemistry, physics, ext 2 maths, maths, ext 1 maths, etc etc etc. scaling needs to counter that and does. it is not an unfair system, youre just too naive and ignorant to know better.

Last edited:

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Why is everyone posting their successes? Is it to make the OP who got the same marks as you, but in different subjects with poor scaling, feel bad? Please refrain from listing your achievements. I'm sure it just makes the OP even more bitter and angry about UAC not awarding her an ATAR of >90.00 when her achievements and hard work clearly deserved it. 60% of her subjects got a Band 6 (SIX) result, 6/10 units.

So I think that UAC is being too harsh on her Polish Continuers subject - she got a band 6 in what I know to be a difficult, tiresome language. Yet UAC still scaled her down. Is this because of most of the Polish Continuers language students being from Poland and therefore doing superbly in the external assessment or HSC examination?

It reminds me of the scaling of Spanish Beginners - it is by all accounts an easier course than Spanish Continuers, but Beginners Spanish still scales better - with a higher, above average scaled mean. It's purely because most (well, okay, a lot) of the people doing Spanish (Continuers) are either fluent or native speakers of Spanish when they start the HSC course and therefore blitz it. Lots of people get an HSC mark of >90 therefore the subject's scaling done by UAC suffers. Not fair for the non natives! :bomb:
Scaling has nothing to do with the fact that the candidates scored highly in those subjects. Those subjects scaled shit because the cohort for that subject didn't do well in their other subject.

Bar901

HSC

As someone just pointed out, the UAC doesn't just randomly pick and choose how subjects scale. It is done based on complex sets of information relating their relative performances in all subjects (however English has the most importance). Essentially, your entire post is completely incorrect.

bubbrubb

HSC
There is no evil man that seeks to scale down subjects at a whim...

polish may be a very difficult subject. In fact it could be the most difficult subject in the entire world. but if the students who did polish performed very very shit in all their other subjects... how are we to know that polish is hard? no. it suggests it is very easy.

that applies to all subjects and is the reason why you got scaled down.

so until students who do well in subjects like aboriginal studies, legal studies etc can perform better in their other subjects... then those subjects will continue to be the poor scalers.

maths ext 2 scales so well because the majority of its students study consistently for all their subjects and get good marks for all of them OR they do poorly in maths ext 2 but very well in all other subjects... suggesting that maths ext 2 is very difficult.

And until someone can actually propose a fairer (has to be practical) system for the hsc... stop trying to find faults to complain about --.--'

Kuromitsu

HSC
thats bullshit.
i got 90+ and i got 1 band 4. but then i got 2 band 6's and 3 very high band 5's.
I think everyone's comments are quite generalised. First of all, you can't really say to get a 90+ you have to get a certain amount of band 4s, 5s or 6s. Some of us here pointed out that it they get a band 4 and obtained 90+, whilst some of us here did not. However, they failed to point out the performance of the other subjects. For example, someone may get 3 band 6s which are all 95+, low band 5s and a high band 4.. needless to say this person SHOULD get 90+. All we can assume is that ROUGHLY the predicted ATAR mark with disregard to scaling/subject choices.

Kaiwoktna, in the end of the day, your subjects were not scaling-friendly (PDHPE, German continuers, Polish continuers) and plus your performance in Mathematics also contributed to pulling you down...But i still think, 3 band 6's should be around a 90. Nonetheless, congratulations..you worked hard and although you didn't achieve your goal life continues right? ATAR is that much of a deal once you get into uni..i hope. :chainsaw:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)