3 courses vs 4 courses per sem? (1 Viewer)

Validity

HSC
I heard 3 courses and 4 courses are both considered full time.
So what are the disadvantages and advantages of doing 3 courses?
wouldn't this increase your chances of getting a higher WAM if you did 3 courses per semester?

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
It might increase your ability to get a higher WAM, but you will be losing time in your degree and may end up graduating later than usual.

Alternatively you can do one of your subjects during summer semester to catch up and still finish your degree on time.

D94

HSC
N/A
The typical UOC is 24, and most courses are 6 UOC each, so that gives 4 courses. The typical amount will mean you graduate "on time", i.e. Commerce is 3 years, but doing only 3 courses each semester means you will extend your degree by 1 year.

The advantages and disadvantages are individual based. My friend did 3 courses in 1 semester, but he didn't do any better than a semester with 4 courses. Sure the courses were different, but he didn't feel there was that big of an advantage.

Most students will probably do 4 courses and there are plenty of students who do extremely well. I don't think the possibility of getting a higher WAM equates to spending an extra year or possibly longer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)