3 degrees at the same time??!! (1 Viewer)

TheGreatSkyGod

HSC
HEY GUYS I WAS JUST WONDERING,
is it possible to attend uni and tafe at the same time?
I wanna go B commerce/media at unsw and B fashion design at Tafe.
I know they're vastly different subjects but they're areas that im currently excelling at in school (maths & textiles).
if it seems a bit unrealistic, would it be achievable if i were to do tafe part time?
any help thanks!!

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
uni's won't let you do any academic studies outside your institution unless theres a letter of release.

TheGreatSkyGod

HSC
but uni and tafe are like different things? i know people often do both but they usually do certificate types of things at tafe (and not actual degrees). so would this not be possible if the course i want to study at tafe is an actual degree (bachelor of fashion design)?

Flop21

HSC
What are you going to do with a B in fashion design?

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
but uni and tafe are like different things? i know people often do both but they usually do certificate types of things at tafe (and not actual degrees). so would this not be possible if the course i want to study at tafe is an actual degree (bachelor of fashion design)?
no the uni still has to release you if you. you can't just study at two institutions at the diploma or above level. Certs are more like licenses than anything.

TheGreatSkyGod

HSC
ok so there is absolutely no way I can study 2 bachelor degrees at two different locations (tafe and uni)?

its just that I'm coming first in textiles and it's something I geninely enjoy but at the same time I want stability and the fashion world doesn't guarantee that.

So I guess my only option now is to do fashion design certificates at TAFE alongside my uni studies?

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
ok so there is absolutely no way I can study 2 bachelor degrees at two different locations (tafe and uni)?

its just that I'm coming first in textiles and it's something I geninely enjoy but at the same time I want stability and the fashion world doesn't guarantee that.

So I guess my only option now is to do fashion design certificates at TAFE alongside my uni studies?
don't bite off more than you can chew. if you work on uni properly you'll get burned out quite quickly.

TheGreatSkyGod

HSC
I contacted UNSW Student Central and they said it was possible for me to do both. However, it's recommended that I do something part time.

favvify

HSC
Uni Grad
I've done a Bachelor of Health Science/Master of Occupational Therapy as well as a Cert 3 and 4 in Fitness, and can tell you now that it isn't worth it. Long story short, I was offered a job at the gym I was a member at because of my uni course, but told that I needed the Cert 3/4 to be paid at the level I wanted to be. I did the cert 3/4 through Open Colleges, so my work experience (unpaid) was at work for well over what I needed to do - basically when it came to the home stretch my (ex)boss/supervisor claimed that I had forged her signature and never actually completed my work placement.

The 100+ hours I worked for free under her, all of the sleepless nights trying to finish uni AND my fitness course work was for nothing. I've been given another option to redo all of my work experience hours to be given my qualification, but I seriously have no time for that as uni has taken absolute precedence in my life now, and I am working at a physio instead (way more relevant to my course anyway).

Besides that, I found the cert 3/4 work to be a shitty watered down version of the first 5 weeks of my uni course, but their assessments were way too long (do you really need 180 short answer questions when you could have 5 extended responses that aren't just looking an answer up on Google?). They also wouldn't acknowledge my uni work, because apparently it was "too easy" compared to their stuff (theirs: a textbook in lay terms, uni: cadavers, established experts, and textbooks actually worth something). After uni is over I may enrol in an accelerated Fitness course at Aus Institute of Fitness or Sage, but right now that would be impossible.

TLDR: Don't do it.

treescape

HSC
No you can if you want. What people are trying to say is that if you actually go ahead and do it, you will compromise one or both of the courses. Not worth it.

sinophile

HSC
N/A
Don't be silly. Focus your effort into something more productive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)