3 Graffiti Artists + Storm drain = 2 death, 1 survived. (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
3 Graffiti Artists + Storm drain = 2 dead, 1 survived.

+

=

The drowning deaths of two people and the miraculous escape of another in a Sydney stormwater drain is a clear warning to thrillseekers, says the man.

A 25-year-old man and a 21-year-old woman drowned when a flood of storm water swept them about a kilometre along the drain late yesterday to an ocean outfall, which is blocked by a metal grate.

Their 27-year-old companion survived after he was squeezed through the grate into pounding surf at Lurline Bay, in Sydney's eastern suburbs.

The traumatised man, from Pennant Hills in Sydney, was rescued by a boardrider and his teenage son after they spotted him in trouble in the rough seas.

Police said the three had climbed 50 metres down into the drain through a manhole at Maroubra at about 5.30pm (AEDT) yesterday, apparently to spray-paint graffiti on the tunnel walls.

Heavy rain from a storm suddenly filled the drain with water, trapping and carrying them east to the ocean.

Maroubra lifeguards Peter Halcro, 45, and Paul Moffatt, 35, who retrieved the two bodies, said conditions inside the drain made the recovery incredibly difficult.

"Inside the drain it was going dark with the surf pounding up through the drain ... while these bodies were just floating around and there was also stormwater coming out the other way," Mr Halcro told reporters.

"We were dealing with dirty water and large surf."

Mr Moffatt, who helped work the bodies out through the bars, towed the body of the woman out to sea so the rescue helicopter could winch it to a nearby rock ledge.

He said the recovery of the bodies of the West Pennant Hills man and St Peters woman was one of the trickiest operations he had ever been involved in.

Westpac Life Saver rescue crewman Brett Christensen was lowered down by helicopter cable just outside the storm drain, and fastened the woman's body to another cable before it was winched to paramedics waiting on the cliff.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,23085580-5001021,00.html

idiots. :eek:

Last edited:

HalcyonSky

HSC
that policemans powerstance is the coolest feature of this story.

Last edited:

Stevo.

no more talk
HSC
And nothing of value was lost. Too bad the third one didn't die. This shouldn't even be news, it should be the joke of the day.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
flappinghippo said:
I hope one of them was Banksy
I assume you mean the UK street artist - why would you hate on him? He makes awesome art. He did some pretty wild, not to mention brave, stuff on the Gaza strip:

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Yeah I like graffiti art too (none of that sign your name in a texta shit though). :)

Pity that they died. Stupid to climb down there without checking the weather first I suppose, but a pity none the less.

Kinda makes me want to explore the drain tbh. Looks like fun.

testiclepilot

HSC
Lol how it is such a tragedy and no one should go down there...and the front page of todays telegraph having a picture of a guy in the water holding onto the bars.

Natural selection: 1. Idiots: 0.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
I've been up that drain. It's amazingly fucking awesome inside.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
There was a mad image in todays SMH in the drain

I'm totally going for a run through it soon when it's really sunny and not going to rain and kill me.

Meen

HSC
Fuck oath...
You all have no respect.
2 of Sydney's most respected writers dead.
Trying to paint a secluded location, that's been done many times before, for a bit of fun, and you call them idiots..
What if your parents and you went out for the day together, and they were somehow killed and you survived, then people called you idiots for whatever you were doing.
Writers are like a family. Fucking hell.

Meen

HSC
So this is just scribble on a wall, no skill needed?

RIP Banish..
Fuck some of you cunts are arrogant.

Meen

HSC
To get clean lines, perfectly faded fills, straight outlines, it takes a lot more then just colouring in a blob on a wall.
Try it. What you may be able to draw will look 100 times worse on a wall.
There is such a lack of respect.
Does insulting dead people make you feel bigger over the internet?
And wishing I drown, what does that do for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)