</3 Sam :( (1 Viewer)

acoc

HSC
Hey all,

Contrary to Ari's thread

We received our half yearly reports yesterday and I thought I'd plug those marks into SAM and see what i would get.

My marks are as follows:

English (standard): 70%, rank (14/90)

Mathematics: 84% (20/99*)

Mathematics Ext. 1: 56% (25/42)

Physics: 83% (8/48)

Engineering Studies: 78% (1/7)

Information Technology: no mark, estimate: 95

UAI: 82.55

So whats the deal guys why is this so low :( i would expect something higher with the marks i have :S or am i completely wrong?

HELP

*14 of which are Ext. 2 students (10 of which are above me)

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
The problem is exactly what most people who use SAM do.

Those half yearly marks are simply not a good comparison to use against HSC marks.
The ideal purpose of SAM is to estimate what UAI you would achieve if you sat the HSC in the selected year and attained those particular marks in the HSC.

Your half yearly are not marks that should be put into SAM. Mainly because

<li> They are not scaled/moderated.
<li> They do not take into account the difficulty of the exam in comparison to every other school in NSW.
<li> They only test part of the HSC course. You haven't completed learning everything which means there is more to learn.

Those marks are however good indicators of predictive performance in further exams/assignments that can only be properly gauged by you and maybe your teacher. If you think the half yearly exam you did was difficult in terms of the questions asked yet you still did well would mean your performance in the HSC should be good taking into account your performance carries on throughout the rest of the year.

As a rough estimate from what I can see, I'd say your marks so far are well on the way to achieving 90+ taking into account your performance in future exams will be similar or better than in your half yearly.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
UnIqUe_PrInCeSs said:
what the fuck, this is so lame.

you are ari :/
I have a superiority complex and would under no circumstances associate myself with low marks:p

To the OP.
The reason why SAM wasn't accurate was because your marks aren't comparable to the HSC marks you may receive. Your marks at school depend on how hard the teacher set the exam etc however, in the HSC the marks go through a scaling process.

A 70 at your school might be equal to an 80 in the HSC...or a 50...

Edit: Just listen to ragerunner

acoc

HSC
Thanks a lot for clearing that up Ragerunner and Ari :)

I bet there has been quite a few more threads like this eh :headbang:

/DOH

HSC
Optophobia said:
shotgun, please change your sig. Every time I view one of your posts I laugh so hard it hurts.
Hahahahaha. I'll see what I can find. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)