3 Unit vs 4 Unit (2 Viewers)

studybuddy101

HSC
Was just curious how much more difficult i would find first year maths walking in with 3 unit as opposed to 4 unit. Thinking about doing some reading etc during february to warm up but if it's unnecessary then i'll go back to being super lazy. Thanks in advance

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
First year maths is basically MX2 revision, plus extra.

If you're not comfortable or familiar with it, you'll be relearning stuff that a sizable portion of the class have already learned, and is simply revision for them. You'll be severely on the back foot.

studybuddy101

HSC
damn, sounds like i should probably put some pre-uni work into it then. can you recommend a good 4 unit book?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Any will do. I prefer Fitzpatrick myself, but others prefer Cambridge.

Graphs, complex numbers, polynomials, integration and complex numbers (again) are probably what you should focus on.

studybuddy101

HSC
thanks for you help, i'll try get my hands on one and steam-roll through it before uni starts :)

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
thanks for you help, i'll try get my hands on one and steam-roll through it before uni starts :)
EDIT:Oops I just realised that this is not based on a particular uni. My post was in reference to UNSW. BUt anyway for future reference:

Depending on what course you are doing, you may have the option of doing MATH1131.

Now an overview of MATH1131 and MATH1141:

http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/courses/2014/MATH1131.html

http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/courses/2014/MATH1141.html

Look at the requirement of Mathematics 1A (MATH1131) you only are expected of getting a combined mark of 100/150 in 3-unit.

Looking at Higher Mathematics 1A (MATH1141), the expectation is 175/200 combined in MX1 and MX2.

If you have the option, I suggest you do Mathematics 1A (MATH1131) first semester, and if you get a high distinction in that, consider doing Higher Mathematics 1B (MATH1241) for semester 2.

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
EDIT:Oops I just realised that this is not based on a particular uni. My post was in reference to UNSW. BUt anyway for future reference:

Depending on what course you are doing, you may have the option of doing MATH1131.

Now an overview of MATH1131 and MATH1141:

http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/courses/2014/MATH1131.html

http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/courses/2014/MATH1141.html

Look at the requirement of Mathematics 1A (MATH1131) you only are expected of getting a combined mark of 100/150 in 3-unit.

Looking at Higher Mathematics 1A (MATH1141), the expectation is 175/200 combined in MX1 and MX2.

If you have the option, I suggest you do Mathematics 1A (MATH1131) first semester, and if you get a high distinction in that, consider doing Higher Mathematics 1B (MATH1241) for semester 2.
That's "officially".

I did MATH1141 and only got like 165 or so combined, but that didn't stop me from getting an HD average for my first year subjects.

What I really suggest is:

- If you like maths, or are good at maths, and feel you can step up to the required standard: take Higher
- Take normal otherwise.

I've seen kids from James Ruse and Baulkham Hills and all those big schools collapse to 70s in uni maths because they can't cope with it, or struggle with the new learning style, or whatnot. So HSC maths doesn't correlate with uni maths super well, to me.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
That's "officially".

I did MATH1141 and only got like 165 or so combined, but that didn't stop me from getting an HD average for my first year subjects.

What I really suggest is:

- If you like maths, or are good at maths, and feel you can step up to the required standard: take Higher
- Take normal otherwise.

I've seen kids from James Ruse and Baulkham Hills and all those big schools collapse to 70s in uni maths because they can't cope with it, or struggle with the new learning style, or whatnot. So HSC maths doesn't correlate with uni maths super well, to me.
That is true. But what about considering whether they should have a 3-unit or 4-unit background? This is what can help OP most.

And depends on how you learn in HSC maths. I would go ahead of the class most of the time just because I felt we were a little behind. So generally I was an independent learner, which I'm guessing is similar to you and hence being able to cope.

Some other students from the higher schools get spoon-fed or forced to work hard in HSC, whereas in uni, that incentive is based on the individual's aspiration.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)