• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

30% Prelim Study! (1 Viewer)

Cabrera1990

HSC
Hello.

In the HSC its 70% HSC work based and 30% Prelim work. Are there certain areas of the prelim course you need to know or just the whole course in general wehn it comes to studying?

Cheers!

Jess Bi

HSC
hey,
The 30% of the Preliminary course would be the basic topics like trig and algebra, are and volume but i would still study most of that course just to be safe then sorry. There isn't many topic to HSC general maths either, which is great!!
sorry i couldn't tell you the exact subjects lol it'll have to be a surprise =P

toodles

StaceyK293920

HSC
Cabrera1990 said:
Hello.

In the HSC its 70% HSC work based and 30% Prelim work. Are there certain areas of the prelim course you need to know or just the whole course in general wehn it comes to studying?

Cheers!
Whole course in general.

rach19

HSC
I dropped down at the start from 2 unit and I learnt its the basics you get taught in 9&10 that are prelim. The topics are covered again anyway in the HSC course so I wouldnt worry

PC

HSC
N/A
Just a point of clarification, the "30%" means the standalone questions. It's also possible to use preliminary course material as lead-in questions to HSC course material. For example, given some sort of diagram, (a) convert the distance from km to m (b) find the area using Simpson's rule. Here part (a) is preliminary course material but the whole question is counted in the 70% part and not in the 30% part.

Rach19 is partly right. The HSC course does review some of the Prelim topics. However there are specific items which are only in the Preliminary Course and are not expanded in the HSC Course. From memory, some of these items are:
- Errors in measurment (some teachers will extend this to area, some don't)
- Traverse surveying, field diagrams (HSC course does radial surveying)
- Similar figures (whole M3 topic basically)
- Capture/recapture technique
- Work on shares and tax tables
- Most of the FM1 & FM3 topics aren't revisited again.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
much of the HSC course, is just taking the prelim course 1 step further.

there isn't much new work, just new tasks in work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)