• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

3rd year honours (1 Viewer)

~*chocho*~

HSC
Did anyone go to the 3rd year honours information session or can anyone tell me anything about it? Is it worth doing?
I don't know whether i should do a double major in accounting and business law or tax or an accounting major with 3rd year honours.. or a double major AND 3rd year honours in accounting, though that sounds like suicide

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Are you thinking about doing Honours in Accounting? (ie 4th year)
If not, then you shouldn't really waste your time unless you really enjoy accounting research

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
~*chocho*~ said:
Did anyone go to the 3rd year honours information session or can anyone tell me anything about it? Is it worth doing?
I don't know whether i should do a double major in accounting and business law or tax or an accounting major with 3rd year honours.. or a double major AND 3rd year honours in accounting, though that sounds like suicide
Yeah I went to the honours information session last month. I did an Honours subject in second year, and I found the research side not too bad, and sometimes even interesting.

Choco, might be worth asking yourself:
- Am I interested in accounting research?
- Am I considering the possibility of doing honours in accounting in fourth year?
- Would I rather do accounting research or a major in business law/ tax?

If yes to all, then third year honours is the way to go. Also the good thing about the thrid year honours is that you can try it out, see how it is, and if you hate it, get out early.

I did Stakeholder Value Managment (Honours), it was pretty interesting, but there was heaps of readings. Still, I enjoyed the experience and I'm going to do 3A and A&A honours this session.

Last edited:

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
How come Accounting lets you accelerate and skip electives? >.<

~*chocho*~

HSC
mr_shittles, what sort of stuff do you research? and how much extra work (how many hours) do you have to do with honours subjects?
I'm not sure whether i want to do 4th year honours.. i don't know enough about it to decide i guess

Acid

HSC
I couldn't think of anything more boring/irrelevant to your life in the workforce than research/honours.

But to each their own.

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
Yeah we did a research assignment that was really, really boring, but i didn't particularly mind, since it was the only compulsory thing we had to do in addition for the honours bit.

In terms of relevance, its just like looking at accounting perspective from a different angle. Its just an extension of the standard 3B stuff.

Last edited:

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
§eraphim said:
How come Accounting lets you accelerate and skip electives? >.<
For accounting, 2A is the only prerequisite for 3B. So if you do 2A (like most second years majoring in accounting) you can then do 2B and 3B the next semester (which is what I did). So that's why close to a fifth of all 3B students are second year and not third year. Also, since you have to do the honours component at the same time you do the subject (ie. you can't defer it), I ended up doing 3B honours in second year.

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
~*chocho*~ said:
mr_shittles, what sort of stuff do you research? and how much extra work (how many hours) do you have to do with honours subjects?
I'm not sure whether i want to do 4th year honours.. i don't know enough about it to decide i guess
for our weekly seminars we just had to read couple of articles. I often didn't have time so I skipped most of the seminars. Some weeks the articles are interesting, and other weeks they're are full of this complex stuff (which has zero paractical application for ppl of our age and is heaps, heaps boring). We are supposed to read the articles,andwer a couple of wquestions and write about what substantive insights we gained from the article.

the assessment taks that we had was a 5000 word literature review and a 1000 word research proposal. We had to read at least 15 articles and could do it in pairs. Given the fact that these articles were so long, it was really time consuming, and I'm talikng days. In the end, we had around 8,500 words since there was so much to write about. I dont think I spent enough time on other subjects as a result and kinda bombed them this sem. If you re well-organised (unlike me) it should be OK, and u won't bomb anything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)