4.5 over 7 GPA?? (1 Viewer)

mmmm.

HSC
How hard is it to have a 4.5 over 7 GPA? I was interested in doing a masters of physio (2020 HSC grad) after doing a Bachelor and would need to have 4.5 over 7 gpa, and was just wondering if it's hard to maintain this (I'm an average student)

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
It's not that hard. If your uni uses gpa:

7 = high distinction (usually a mark 85+ or some places 80+)
6 = distinction (usually a mark of 75-84)
5 = credit (60-74)
4 = pass (50-59)

So as you can see it's not even an above average mark

quickoats

HSC
Not too hard but depends on your first degree. 4.5 GPA is a bit better than scraping passes for every unit (a couple of credits which is 65+).

Apply for undergrad physio everywhere (WSU, USyd, ACU) and see where things go from there. ACU gives a tonne of bonus points and so does WSU. Also if you get a good GPA (probably 5.5-6+ but clarify with the institution) you can probably transfer into physio after a year of undergrad. This was you’ll save time and money (Masters degrees are usually full fee and the prices are steep)

HSC
N/A
A 4.5 GPA isn't really hard even for a full time study load. Given that you're an average student you'll most likely be able to reach that provided you study well and take your assignments/exams seriously.

anon2017

HSC
A 4.5 GPA is not difficult. It's a mix of credits and passes. Put in your best effort and you'll almost definitely get some distinctions or higher which will pull your GPA higher.

The thing to be aware of though, is just because a 4.5/7 GPA is the requirement for eligibility for a masters degree, it does not guarantee you entry. E.g. at USYD, a 4.5/7 is the minimum requirement for your application to be considered. The reality is, there are a lot of applicants and most have much higher GPAs. A lot of universities also have prerequisite subjects that need to be completed, so ensure you are aware of those and take them during your undergrad degree. Also note that there are limited CSP available, and they go to the most competitive applicants, so if that is not you then you'll likely be paying $70k or even more for a masters in physio, on top of however many tens of thousands of dollars debt you are in for your bachelors degree (there is a HECS limit).

The best option here is to try to get into undergrad physio if you can.

UniStudent96

HSC
Hello,

so I’m a current WSU physio student and the institution does not offer bonus points. GPA differentiates from year to year based on applicants and my cohort year required 6.3+/7. Other unis like ACU and usyd require 6+ for even consideration aswell. Hope that helps!

Nikolerak

HSC
Not too hard but depends on your first degree. 4.5 GPA is a bit better than scraping passes for every unit (a couple of credits which is 65+).

Apply for undergrad physio everywhere (WSU, USyd, ACU) and see where things go from there. ACU gives a tonne of bonus points and so does WSU. Also if you get a good GPA (probably 5.5-6+ but clarify with the institution) you can probably transfer into physio after a year of undergrad. This was you’ll save time and money (Masters degrees are usually full fee and the prices are steep)
What does WSU give bonus points for? I thought physio is not eligible for WSU regional bonus points? Also do you think ACU would give full 12 bonus points for e.g. 4 X Band 5?

Nikolerak

HSC
Hello,

so I’m a current WSU physio student and the institution does not offer bonus points. GPA differentiates from year to year based on applicants and my cohort year required 6.3+/7. Other unis like ACU and usyd require 6+ for even consideration aswell. Hope that helps!
So the minimum ATAR for WSU physio is 90?
Are you happy with the course, lecturers etc? What year are you?

UniStudent96

HSC
So the minimum ATAR for WSU physio is 90?
Are you happy with the course, lecturers etc? What year are you?
The ATAR is around the ~95 mark which was published on UAC for the 2019-20 intake. I’m currently loving the course, I’m about to enter 4th year. As for the lecturers etc... they do give you a solid grasp of the main concepts regarding the different specialities (neurological, cardio respiratory, musculoskeletal), however I have found that the well performing students have done more work in studying beyond what they have taught.

Nikolerak

HSC
The ATAR is around the ~95 mark which was published on UAC for the 2019-20 intake. I’m currently loving the course, I’m about to enter 4th year. As for the lecturers etc... they do give you a solid grasp of the main concepts regarding the different specialities (neurological, cardio respiratory, musculoskeletal), however I have found that the well performing students have done more work in studying beyond what they have taught.
Thanks for the feedback. The most recent UAC publication has the ATAR of 90. It appears WSU physio ATAR has been steadily decreasing over the last few years?! What made you choose WSU over USyd and ACU?

UniStudent96

HSC
Thanks for the feedback. The most recent UAC publication has the ATAR of 90. It appears WSU physio ATAR has been steadily decreasing over the last few years?! What made you choose WSU over USyd and ACU?
Not a issue at all. Don’t look too much the lowest ATAR because this could be an EAS student, indigenous student etc.. where they are entitled to benefits for admission. The one you want to focus on is the median ATAR which records a ~94.95 for this particular year intake. The course hasn’t decreased, WSU heavily inflated the course in the past where at one point was considered 99+. People would always get in below the actual ATAR course which is common for many degrees bar med and some law degrees. I chose WSU due to practicality and convenience. Some degrees this whole “prestige” notion comes into it, however, with health degrees this is not an issue. If you do decide to pursue health, pick the university that will offer you flexibility and a life outside of uni because you don’t want to spend your entire 4 years travelling many hours on public transport. Hope that helps!

Attachments

Cujo10

HSC
Uni Grad
A GPA can be converted into a selection rank. A selection rank is similar to ATAR but it has other factors applied to it. So a 4.5 GPA is equivalent to a 95 selection rank of 1 year of study of uni.

Capture.PNG

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)