4 Unit and Uni? (1 Viewer)

untouchablecuz

HSC
I'm currently in year 11 doing 3 unit and thinking of doing 4 unit. I wanna do civil engineering in uni, but my question is, is 4 Unit vital to this course? Could I do a bridging course or something if I stick with only 3 Unit?

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
回复: 4 Unit and Uni?

you'd thank god if you did 4unit in year 12 rather than cram it in uni.

D.Buff

Understated.
HSC
N/A
I don't think there are 4 unit bridging courses, there's 3u though.

Yeah it would make uni maths a lot easier, but it's not 'essential,' if you're good at maths or can pick it up easy.

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
maths at uni is mostly new content, so it's not as if when you get to uni you will have to "cram" everything in extension 2

however the additional skills you learn in extension 2 maths will make uni maths easier, and also it does mean that you will find complex numbers a breeze in first semester. some other things will pop up at uni which extension 2 maths covers, like integration by parts.

also, expect physics at uni to be a lot like the mechanics topic in extension 2, so it's worthwhile learning that section of the course.

so if you are capable of doing extension 2 maths now, then it is worthwhile making the effort - but obviously if you are feeling overloaded already or are not enjoying extension 2, then don't stress yourself out by keeping it.

good luck for the hsc!

conics2008

HSC
you dont really need ext 2 for civil.. 2unit or 3unit is more then enough...

conics2008

HSC
3units have you read the assumed knowledge for civil..

HSC
A lot of people in my course have not done 4 unit at school. We have 3 maths streams running: 'Enabling Mathematics' (for those who did very little or did very badly in maths at school), 'Maths 1C' (for those who did 2 unit or very average in 3 unit) and 'Maths 1A' (for those who did well in 3 unit or any mark in 4 unit).
Things such as matrices arent covered in HSC (correct me if I'm wrong cause I didn't actually do the HSC) and Physics will have helped you with things like vectors so unless you are really enjoying maths I'd suggest you don't bother :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)