4 unit maths terms...joking :) (1 Viewer)

gman03

HSC
Crikket said:
when in doubt, laugh :D
leng's ones were pretty good though :p
mathematical terms themselves are pretty funny. our class cracked ourselves with "latus rectum" (i know, i know, pretty low hey?:))

It gets lamer when it is taught by a student teacher who isn't an english background speaking person and tries to pronounse it to the class... speak from past experience

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
gman03 said:
It gets lamer when it is taught by a student teacher who isn't an english background speaking person and tries to pronounse it to the class... speak from past experience
LOL!!!
(i shouldn't laugh, i'm a "non english background speaking person")
but i see where you're coming from :D

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
I remember my Maths teacher at school telling us that he'd rather be an equation than a function. His reason was that equations have roots where functions have zeroes.

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
lol

what about this:
I'd love to find the area underneath YOUR curves, oooh boy.

lol

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
At New York's Kennedy airport today, an individual later discovered to be a
public school teacher was arrested trying to board a flight while in possession of a ruler, a protractor, a setsquare, a slide rule, and a calculator.

At a morning press conference, Attorney general John Ashcroft said he believes the man is a member of the notorious al-gebra movement. He is being
charged by the FBI with carrying weapons of math instruction. "Al-gebra is a
fearsome cult," Ashcroft said. "They desire average solutions by means and
extremes, and sometimes go off on tangents in a search of absolute value.
They use secret code names like "x" and "y" and refer to themselves as
"unknowns", but we have determined they belong to a common denominator of
the axis of evil with coordinates in every country. "As the Greek philanderer Isosceles used to say, there are 3 sides to every triangle," Ashcroft declared.

When asked to comment on the arrest, President Bush said, "If God had wanted us to have better weapons of math instruction, he would have given us more fingers and toes. I am gratified that our government has given us a sine
that it is intent on protracting us from these math-dogs who are willing to
dis-integrate us with calculus disregard. Murky statisticians love to inflict plane on every sphere of influence," the President said, adding: "Under the circumferences, we must differentiate their roots, make our point, and draw the line."

President Bush warned, "These weapons of math instruction have the potential
to decimal everything in their math on a scalene never before seen unless we
become exponents of a Higher Power and begin to factor in random facts of
vertex."

Attorney General Ashcroft said, "As our Great Leader would say, read my
ellipse. Here is one principle he is uncertainty of: though they continue to multiply, their days are numbered as the hypotenuse tightens around their
necks....."

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
i must say tho.. in uni the math faculty have very similar humour to 4U kids :|
my maths tutor at uni ..thought the curves line was classic.. he told us bout the ONE time he used it in a club as a pickup line.. let's say that it resulted in .. a very red cheek :S

med faculty ppl are just morbid instead.. :p

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
roflmao

i'm glad we proved the stereotyped maths geek image wrong by showing that we have a sense of humor... even if it is morbid :D

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
it aint morbid.. it just plain weird.. i kno advSci guys with the worlds lamest jokes about black holes dating..

yer so bad.. i think maths is actualli good compared to the other sciences...:s its a worri

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
you know who are the worst lame-jokers in the world?
musicians!
my music teacher tells us so many lame jokes, but he tries so hard and we feel sorry for him so we laugh...it's funny coz it's lame.

gman03

HSC
Crikket said:
you know who are the worst lame-jokers in the world?
musicians!
my music teacher tells us so many lame jokes, but he tries so hard and we feel sorry for him so we laugh...it's funny coz it's lame.
Anyone used Signpost maths book for junior years? I used to have a math teacher reading the "jokes" out of it and giggle as he speak... I'm like one of the idiot of the class just laugh before he finished the jokes (cuz he is so lame, let alone the joke itself).... Apparently he was very pleased at what I did (thought me laughing at the <i>joke</i> and <i>appreciating</i> maths) and everybody else thought me as the teacher pets..... I lfirst aughed at year 8 (first time I had this very teacher) and ever since I had him for maths... for 2.5 more years until he retired.. regreted at what I did :(

Adrian.

HSC
I'm only in 2 Unit so sorry for entering your domain but my year 11 teacher once said a good one (aimed at me). She was talking about some function and said "...as you can see this function only has 1 real root, which is probably how many Adrian will get". It's was all good though cause I ripped her off quite a bit.

Jase

HSC
...as you can see this function only has 1 real root, which is probably how many Adrian will get"
ahahah thats a good one.

But i think my favourite line was, "Because I'm e to the x, you cant hurt me!"
oh the humanity!

alphatango

Resident Geek
HSC
N/A
Hehe. Well, I've picked up a lot of mathematical jokes around the net over the years...I have no idea where some of them came from, but they're sitting on my hard drive. So, for example:

CLEARLY: I don't want to write down all the "in-between" steps.

TRIVIAL: If I have to show you how to do this, you're in the wrong class.

OBVIOUSLY: I hope you weren't sleeping when we discussed this earlier, because I refuse to repeat it.

RECALL: I shouldn't have to tell you this, but for those of you who erase your memory tapes after every test...

WLOG (Without Loss Of Generality): I'm not about to do all the possible cases, so I'll do one and let you figure out the rest...in the exam.

IT CAN EASILY BE SHOWN: Even you, in your painfully finite wisdom, should be able to prove this without me holding your hand.

CHECK or CHECK FOR YOURSELF: This is the boring part of the proof, so you can do it on your own time.

SKETCH OF A PROOF: I couldn't verify all the details, so I'll break it down into the parts I couldn't prove.

HINT: The hardest of several possible ways to do a proof.

BRUTE FORCE (AND IGNORANCE): Four special cases, three counting arguments, two long inductions, "and a partridge in a pear tree."

SOFT PROOF: One third less filling (of the page) than your regular proof, but it requires two extra years of course work just to understand the terms.

ELEGANT PROOF: Requires no previous knowledge of the subject matter and is less than ten lines long.

SIMILARLY: At least one line of the proof of this case is the same as before.

CANONICAL FORM: 4 out of 5 mathematicians surveyed recommended this as the final form for their students who choose to finish.

TFAE (The Following Are Equivalent): If I say this it means that, and if I say that it means the other thing, and if I say the other thing...

BY A PREVIOUS THEOREM: I don't remember how it goes (come to think of it I'm not really sure we did this at all), but if I stated it right (or at all), then the rest of this follows.

TWO LINE PROOF: I'll leave out everything but the conclusion, you can't question 'em if you can't see 'em.

BRIEFLY: I'm running out of time, so I'll just write and talk faster.

LET'S TALK THROUGH IT: I don't want to write it on the board lest I make a mistake.

PROCEED FORMALLY: Manipulate symbols by the rules without any hint of their true meaning (popular in pure math courses).

QUANTIFY: I can't find anything wrong with your proof except that it won't work if x is a moon of Jupiter (Popular in applied math courses).

PROOF OMITTED: Trust me, It's true.

Trev

stix
HSC
alphatango said:
Hehe. Well, I've picked up a lot of mathematical jokes around the net over the years...I have no idea where some of them came from, but they're sitting on my hard drive. So, for example:

CLEARLY: I don't want to write down all the "in-between" steps.

TRIVIAL: If I have to show you how to do this, you're in the wrong class.

OBVIOUSLY: I hope you weren't sleeping when we discussed this earlier, because I refuse to repeat it.

RECALL: I shouldn't have to tell you this, but for those of you who erase your memory tapes after every test...

WLOG (Without Loss Of Generality): I'm not about to do all the possible cases, so I'll do one and let you figure out the rest...in the exam.

IT CAN EASILY BE SHOWN: Even you, in your painfully finite wisdom, should be able to prove this without me holding your hand.

CHECK or CHECK FOR YOURSELF: This is the boring part of the proof, so you can do it on your own time.

SKETCH OF A PROOF: I couldn't verify all the details, so I'll break it down into the parts I couldn't prove.

HINT: The hardest of several possible ways to do a proof.

BRUTE FORCE (AND IGNORANCE): Four special cases, three counting arguments, two long inductions, "and a partridge in a pear tree."

SOFT PROOF: One third less filling (of the page) than your regular proof, but it requires two extra years of course work just to understand the terms.

ELEGANT PROOF: Requires no previous knowledge of the subject matter and is less than ten lines long.

SIMILARLY: At least one line of the proof of this case is the same as before.

CANONICAL FORM: 4 out of 5 mathematicians surveyed recommended this as the final form for their students who choose to finish.

TFAE (The Following Are Equivalent): If I say this it means that, and if I say that it means the other thing, and if I say the other thing...

BY A PREVIOUS THEOREM: I don't remember how it goes (come to think of it I'm not really sure we did this at all), but if I stated it right (or at all), then the rest of this follows.

TWO LINE PROOF: I'll leave out everything but the conclusion, you can't question 'em if you can't see 'em.

BRIEFLY: I'm running out of time, so I'll just write and talk faster.

LET'S TALK THROUGH IT: I don't want to write it on the board lest I make a mistake.

PROCEED FORMALLY: Manipulate symbols by the rules without any hint of their true meaning (popular in pure math courses).

QUANTIFY: I can't find anything wrong with your proof except that it won't work if x is a moon of Jupiter (Popular in applied math courses).

PROOF OMITTED: Trust me, It's true.
thats crap :p i l ike 'secx is not a sin' better.....lol

alphatango

Resident Geek
HSC
N/A
A couple of friends and I have vague plans of printing out these definitions in large font on A4 paper, then taking them to class this year...every time the lecturer uses one, we'll hold up the relevant sheet of paper. :p

(Third year maths this year, so should be smaller classes, more fun and interaction...)

cholly

Somebody's Left Shoe
HSC
random jokes from my teacher

mr darcy rocks...hes the best for random jokes (i've had hime since yr 9)...here are some of the 'better' ones

*when teaching us about asymptotes*
girls, one day you'll have a boyfriend and you'll have to tell him to asypmtote, he can get close but never touch :)
*when asymptotes started cutting the axis*
girls, we've gotten to an age now when we are allowed to touch occasionally ;)

what did the oak tee say to the grass?
Gee-om-a-tree

what do you call guy who has sat in the sun too long?
Tan-gent

black holes are where god divided by zero

what did the parrot say to his owner?
polly-gone

erm...thats all i can remeber for now..but ill come back when i remember more :D

ishq

brown?
HSC
When we began Year 11, we had this "session" with the Head of the Math department. His advice to us was

Remember girls, Mathematics is made of 50 percent formulas, 50 percent proofs and 50 percent imagination.

......took me while to get it ....;)

haboozin

Do you uhh.. Yahoo?
HSC
mark arnold???

what textbook does he write..??
I know Graham and Denise Arnold wrote the cambridge 4unit..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)