4U & Advanced.... advice (1 Viewer)

dsakvyilsa

HSC
Hey guys,
I just recently started year 12, and have decided to take 4U maths. My school still requires me to attend the maths advanced class. I was wondering whether it is actually worthwhile for me to learn the advanced content, or if there are any specific topics which I should do. I understand that year 12 advanced is treated as a prerequisite for 4U.
I have different teachers for advanced, mx1, and mx2, and my mx1 teacher typically does go over relevant advanced content with us. So I was wondering, should I bother doing advanced in my timetabled advanced classes, or should I continue to work on mx1/mx2 content during them? Thanks!

mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa

HSC
You still learn many important concepts in advanced that are helpful in ext 1 and 2, I would recommend to not slack off. I think the main ones are integration, graphing with the max min and optimisation stuff and probability … there might be others but I can’t remember it right now. I think you will be the best judge to whether you need to fully pay attention or not

yanujw

HSC
The topics you'll need for the extension levels of math are;
Sequences and series
Graphs and equations (curve sketching is eh, I don't think you'll need it neccessarily but it might help to know)
Maximisation and minimisation
All 2u integration -> possibly the most important thing u need to master in 2u.
Motion and rates
Normal distributions

You don't need to know about the data topic or financial math.

carrotsss

HSC
What I’m doing is just doing all of the advanced work in class and then leaving it at that, realistically I think revising for mx1/mx2 should give you plenty of advanced practice anyway

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
Hey guys,
I just recently started year 12, and have decided to take 4U maths. My school still requires me to attend the maths advanced class. I was wondering whether it is actually worthwhile for me to learn the advanced content, or if there are any specific topics which I should do. I understand that year 12 advanced is treated as a prerequisite for 4U.
I have different teachers for advanced, mx1, and mx2, and my mx1 teacher typically does go over relevant advanced content with us. So I was wondering, should I bother doing advanced in my timetabled advanced classes, or should I continue to work on mx1/mx2 content during them? Thanks!
advanced is assumed knowledge for both mx1 and mx2 (they're 'extensions' of what's learned in adv kind of), like the aforementioned topics above show what you need to learn which translate directly into mx1 and mx2. i only have one class for maths and we first go through advanced content before going on to extension work (i even had a topic test for an adv topic a few days ago) so just focus on advanced in advanced, mx1 in mx1, mx2 in mx2

there's also the small chance that if you drop mx2 (idt that'll happen) you'll be expected most likely to complete adv assessment tasks

dsakvyilsa

HSC
advanced is assumed knowledge for both mx1 and mx2 (they're 'extensions' of what's learned in adv kind of), like the aforementioned topics above show what you need to learn which translate directly into mx1 and mx2. i only have one class for maths and we first go through advanced content before going on to extension work (i even had a topic test for an adv topic a few days ago) so just focus on advanced in advanced, mx1 in mx1, mx2 in mx2

there's also the small chance that if you drop mx2 (idt that'll happen) you'll be expected most likely to complete adv assessment tasks
I actually can't drop mx2 because I only have 10 units lol 😭 I physically could not spend another minute in business studies so I had to unfortunately sacrifice my spare units

Nedom

HSC
I don't know how this works, or whether this is true across the board. But, MX1 and adv don't really seem like much at all if you do MX2 (at least from my school cohort's perspective). There are only like 2 (pretty sure) topics common between MX1 and MX2, vectors and integration, where the rest of the content really isn't that bad (maybe Perms & Combs things, and Stats.), so it shouldn't be too hard to blitz through(seeing that you are taking 4U). As for adv., it's like a complete bludge. Pay attention in class and even without work outside of class, you should be fine, except maybe for stats. related things if it's annoying or whatnot. This is just my take on it, but you are the ultimate judge of what is beneficial to you.

Vall

HSC
The other option is to go through the advanced content inside and outside of class at your own pace (likely far faster than that of your advanced class) and then spend significantly more time on ex II and ex I

dsakvyilsa

HSC
I don't know how this works, or whether this is true across the board. But, MX1 and adv don't really seem like much at all if you do MX2 (at least from my school cohort's perspective). There are only like 2 (pretty sure) topics common between MX1 and MX2, vectors and integration, where the rest of the content really isn't that bad (maybe Perms & Combs things, and Stats.), so it shouldn't be too hard to blitz through(seeing that you are taking 4U). As for adv., it's like a complete bludge. Pay attention in class and even without work outside of class, you should be fine, except maybe for stats. related things if it's annoying or whatnot. This is just my take on it, but you are the ultimate judge of what is beneficial to you.
the only issue with "pay attention in class" is that my class only has two students, and my teacher, rather than delivering the content and explaining it, just tells us to work through at our own pace, and helps us individually if we need it

Nedom

HSC
the only issue with "pay attention in class" is that my class only has two students, and my teacher, rather than delivering the content and explaining it, just tells us to work through at our own pace, and helps us individually if we need it
Welp. It's kind of hard to figure out the mindset behind questions going through a textbook. I don't know if there are videos online that go through each topic thoroughly, you'd have to have a look. It's gonna be much harder without this mindset and methodological process for breaking down questions, especially in a subject like 4U where doing questions will only get you so far, as there are always these weird tricks or big brain, enlightening moments needed (from a meh student in maths, or might just be me here, idk) for the harder questions. Other than that, the easier questions, aka. 'free marks', should be very doable with just practice questions. As for MX1, I don't really remember that much, cause I didn't really invest much time into it, so probably won't be too bad using textbooks (there are sample questions to get you started on each chapter, and though quite long and tedious, the information provided (in Cambridge series at least) is quite alright.

TL;DR
- Mindset/Thought process > Memorisation of the method of doing a specific style of question
--> How you will achieve this, idk. If you have a good teacher, that is willing to invest the time, you should be able to reap some results from them. (But seeing how they are just letting you guys go off on your own, this probably won't happen)

dsakvyilsa

HSC
Welp. It's kind of hard to figure out the mindset behind questions going through a textbook. I don't know if there are videos online that go through each topic thoroughly, you'd have to have a look. It's gonna be much harder without this mindset and methodological process for breaking down questions, especially in a subject like 4U where doing questions will only get you so far, as there are always these weird tricks or big brain, enlightening moments needed (from a meh student in maths, or might just be me here, idk) for the harder questions. Other than that, the easier questions, aka. 'free marks', should be very doable with just practice questions. As for MX1, I don't really remember that much, cause I didn't really invest much time into it, so probably won't be too bad using textbooks (there are sample questions to get you started on each chapter, and though quite long and tedious, the information provided (in Cambridge series at least) is quite alright.

TL;DR
- Mindset/Thought process > Memorisation of the method of doing a specific style of question
--> How you will achieve this, idk. If you have a good teacher, that is willing to invest the time, you should be able to reap some results from them. (But seeing how they are just letting you guys go off on your own, this probably won't happen)
Thankfully my mx2 and mx1 teachers are better, they actually break down each of the topics, rather than just sending us off to work through q's on our own the entire time

Nedom

HSC
Oh, I thought you had 1 teacher allocated to your class that taught all 3, cause that's how my school works. Well then, there shouldn't be any problems then.

dsakvyilsa

HSC
Oh, I thought you had 1 teacher allocated to your class that taught all 3, cause that's how my school works. Well then, there shouldn't be any problems then.
mine is all a bit complicated, as my mx1 is a combined class with a few schools and I'm the only person doing mx2. Thus I have 3 different teachers 🤣

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)