• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

4u Maths or 3u English????? (1 Viewer)

zhogan42

HSC
Hey guys,
I've almost finished year 11 and need to decide which subjects I'll be doing in year 12. This year I've been doing 3u English (scoring around 85% in 2u adv, 80% in 2u) and I've also been doing 3u Maths (scoring around 90-95% in 2u adv, 70-75% in 3u.) All together in year 12 I will do 6 units combined of Maths and English. Now I'm sort of stuck over whether to do 4u Maths and 2u English, or 3u Maths and 3u English. I like both subjects and will put the necessary time and effort into both.

And this is my first ever post on bored of studies :)

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Hey guys,
I've almost finished year 11 and need to decide which subjects I'll be doing in year 12. This year I've been doing 3u English (scoring around 85% in 2u adv, 80% in 2u) and I've also been doing 3u Maths (scoring around 90-95% in 2u adv, 70-75% in 3u.) All together in year 12 I will do 6 units combined of Maths and English. Now I'm sort of stuck over whether to do 4u Maths and 2u English, or 3u Maths and 3u English. I like both subjects and will put the necessary time and effort into both.

And this is my first ever post on bored of studies :)
Welcome! Both if you can manage! Hi I am SpiralFlex, I shall be your robot for this evening.

thoth1

Banned
HSC
both but if u hav to choose. then MX2 is defs ur choice.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
In terms of scaling, doing 4U is beneficial BUT in most cases, you should ignore scaling and assess the probability of success with the possible combinations.
So, think hard about it and talk to your teachers/tutors for advice.

josh_blick

HSC
N/A
If your just as good at both go 4 unit maths but I would find this hard to believe as it's rare to find people who are amazing at both english and maths. But if you are at both go 4 unit, if your better at english go 3 unit

comm-u-nist

HSC
N/A
believe me, i was in an identical situation to you. i wish i had done both. i strongly advise you to do both, because they both 'scale' excellently and both are easy to score highly in - maths is sheer practise followed by past papers, and the extension english exam is nothing more than one essay and one creative piece. the workload is tiny. you can perfect and memorise two or three creatives and regurgitate and adapt them in the exam in well under an hour, and that should give you around 1 hour and twenty minutes to write a good 1200 word essay. if you seriously have to choose, go with 4u maths. but do both for sure.

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
Try do both and drop one unit in mid-year 12 (the work load is gonna be big). And Dang...I've got the same problem.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Try to do both, I did manage it for a while but then dropped 3U English mid-way (sci-fi is revolting).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)