4U Maths (1 Viewer)

Audranda

HSC
What topics are covered in 4U maths? Your opinion on the subject?

I'm currently in Yr 10, and some of my classmates have begun 4u maths tutoring.
How large is the gap between 3U and 4U maths? I've covered some 2-3u maths concepts, but am curious as to whether I should start preparing now.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Topics: Complex Numbers, Polynomials, Curve Sketching, Integration, Volumes, Conics, Mechanics, Harder 3U.

Opinion: Hard, but not as hard as what people hype it up to be. It's mostly hard because often it is taught in an 'intimidating manner'. Plus, the hype of it doesn't exactly help. Nevertheless, it has the potential to be extremely difficult at times.

Gap: Quite large, mostly in terms of the thinking process. Larger than the jump from 2U to 3U.

Should you prepare now? No. You CAN but it is most certainly not necessary. I started 4U at the end of Year 11, as most other schools do, but still managed to do a decent job of it.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Topics: Complex Numbers, Polynomials, Curve Sketching, Integration, Volumes, Conics, Mechanics, Harder 3U.

Opinion: Hard, but not as hard as what people hype it up to be. It's mostly hard because often it is taught in an 'intimidating manner'. Plus, the hype of it doesn't exactly help. Nevertheless, it has the potential to be extremely difficult at times.

Gap: Quite large, mostly in terms of the thinking process. Larger than the jump from 2U to 3U.

Should you prepare now? No. You CAN but it is most certainly not necessary. I started 4U at the end of Year 11, as most other schools do, but still managed to do a decent job of it.
+1

hit patel

HSC
Uni Grad

+1

ilikecake

HSC
Well, basically, although 4 unit is extension 2 maths, it's more like one subject heaped on top of 3 unit, which is one subject heaped onto 2 unit.

The difficulty of 4 unit maths comes primarily from the complexity of algebra in most places, because I've been recently writing equations that take two whole lines to set out properly ._.

Other than that, it requires very abstract thinking. Usually in 2 unit and 3 unit, you would look at a question then find the formula for it. In 4 unit, the questions are worded in such an obscure and weird manner that it might be hard to find what you're actually looking for, buried beneath the mass of formulas and rules you're taught.

It's definitely challenging, but fun if you like maths.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)