4unit maths is so not worth it!! (1 Viewer)

overwhelming

Originally posted by KeypadSDM
Anyway, since smart people generally do 4 unit maths, they do well in all their other subjects. This makes the scaling for 4 unit maths good, if not very good.
yes but I don't get it.

If the 4unit person is smart, why don't they maximise their potential overall as opposed to focussing on 4unit maths??

I'm suggesting that a smart student should in fact do 3unit maths even though they are perfectly capable of 4unit. This means their rank in 2/3unit will be close to 1st and then their marks will be accordingly higher than if they did 3/4 because of a decrease in competition.

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
lol, true, complex numbers is just z=x+iy, where i is square root of -1. simple. obvious. :rolleyes:

And I don't think you understand one thing:
You pick up one unit for 4u maths. You drop 2 unit maths, its dead easy (and if you can't get 100%ish in 2unit you shouldn't be doing 4u anyway), so now you have 8 units remaining.

YOU SPEND 50% OF YOUR TIME ON 4 UNIT (as you yourself have said). half of your time. 4 units out of 8 units, you spend 50% of your time on. The other 4 units, you have the other 50% of your time. Simple?

The how the hell can you say that you spend too much time on 4u? what are you on about. :s

Last edited:

overwhelming

Originally posted by abdooooo!!!
we all know that buchanan is an idiot, and he teaches 4u math, so therefore 4u math is stupid, and since overwhelming do not do 4u he/she is not stupid. :D
so true :)

Heinz

The Musical Fruit
HSC
Originally posted by overwhelming
yes but I don't get it.

If the 4unit person is smart, why don't they maximise their potential overall as opposed to focussing on 4unit maths??

I'm suggesting that a smart student should in fact do 3unit maths even though they are perfectly capable of 4unit. This means their rank in 2/3unit will be close to 1st and then their marks will be accordingly higher than if they did 3/4 because of a decrease in competition.
A friend of mine is doing exactly that. He accelerated in 2u and 3u maths in year 11 and although he is perfectly capable of doing 4u, his not. Instead, his deciding to concentrate on ext english, chem, bio and economics (the last two subjects his currently topping) Even rejected doing cosmology :(

abdooooo!!!

Banned
yes but I don't get it.

no keypads example is wrong... 4u students are not smart at everything... read my post on the scaling matter. :)

overwhelming

Originally posted by Heinz
A friend of mine is doing exactly that. He accelerated in 2u and 3u maths in year 11 and although he is perfectly capable of doing 4u, his not. Instead, his deciding to concentrate on ext english, chem, bio and economics (the last two subjects his currently topping) Even rejected doing cosmology :(
yeap. that is what i call smart.

The HSC is a game. Whoever plays the game the smartest wins in the end.

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
whoever works the hardest wins. no such thing as "easy" success, same as there is no such thing as "easy" money, "quick" money.

HSC is a part of life. Work hard, put in the effort, you'll win.

abdooooo!!!

Banned
yeap. that is what i call smart.

The HSC is a game. Whoever plays the game the smartest wins in the end.
you just don't get it do you... man you stupid... shouldn't have proved you were not.

i'll say this again the 4u scaled marks is derived from the difference between the performance of 2/3u students on the common 3u paper.

overwhelming

Originally posted by GuardiaN
whoever works the hardest wins. no such thing as "easy" success, same as there is no such thing as "easy" money, "quick" money.

HSC is a part of life. Work hard, put in the effort, you'll win.
I agree.

overwhelming

Originally posted by abdooooo!!!
you just don't get it do you... man you stupid... shouldn't have proved you were not.

i'll say this again the 4u scaled marks is derived from the difference between the performance of 2/3u students on the common 3u paper.
hmm your right. I don't know much about how the scaling works etc.

BUT I do know that the selection of 4unit maths is not advantageous for a large portion of the candidates.

I know of many 4unit students who wished they had opted for the 2/3u combination.

abdooooo!!!

Banned
hmm your right. I don't know much about how the scaling works etc.

BUT I do know that the selection of 4unit maths is not advantageous for a large portion of the candidates.

I know of many 4unit students who wished they had opted for the 2/3u combination.
i'll say this again...

4u math = advantage for a person who has math as "their" best subject. and i mean its not whether you are good or not, so if math is your best subject out of all the subjects then do 4u... it will be beneficial.

4u math = a fuckin disaster for a person who has math as his/her worst subject. :D

abdooooo!!!

Banned
Originally posted by drbuchanan
Why am I an idiot? Is it because I teach 4u?
yes sir. it works both ways you see. oh and the sami thing... ahahaha... solution king. :D

umm... your sentence sounded a bit odd, this bit: "I teach 4u". im not a teacher... you don't have to teach for me sir. :p

Rahul

Dead Member
i did very poorly in 4u. i got 75. and got 86 in 3u.

had i dont 2/3u, then i would have 2 units of the 2u maths mark of about 90.

for uai purposes.

case 1: 2/3 maths
2u mark of 90 = scaled mark: 81/100 (2u)
3u mark of 86 = scaled mark: 44/50(1u)

case 2: 3/4 maths
3u mark of 86 = scaled mark: 87/100 (2u)
4u mark of 75 = scaled mark: 86/100 (2u)

now, not only did an extra unit of the 3u mark count, but also a 75 in 4u scales a lot higher than a 90 in 2u.

you say hsc is a game, it sure is. and if you have the opportunity to do 4u, then do it. of course there are exceptions. but i dont know how you can make assumptions that 4u isnt good scaling for the work put in. i bludged a very large part of 4u, but still ended up with a very decent scaled mark for my uai. it would have been more effort to get the 2u mark and then pull up marks in other subjects to compensate for, firstly, the extra unit of 3u counting and then the higher scaled up mark that i would get in 4u.

abdooooo!!!

Banned
ya go Rahul!!!

but i doubt that anyone will listen... the people who doesn't do 4u just can't understand this complicated idea of the hsc scailing system and the benefits of doing 4u for your 3u mark, in terms of quantity and quality. :D

Rahul

Dead Member
and to think how much 4u helped my 3u. esp my integration and graphing. :p
its weird but its true.

overwhelming, did you not say that you dont understand the scaling system, then you can make these statements. it doesnt make any sense.

the only point of argument seems to be the amount of time that if spent. well in that case, my life [lol, such a cliche] would be the perfect example.

overwhelming

Originally posted by Rahul

now, not only did an extra unit of the 3u mark count, but also a 75 in 4u scales a lot higher than a 90 in 2u.

hahah that is the biggest bulloney i have ever heard of.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)