5.2 year 10 math to 2u ? (1 Viewer)

sami90210

HSC
any advice for someone doing 5.2 math that's chosen advanced for year 11?

#RoadTo31Atar

HSC
You should look at what you will be doing in Y11 to see if you know enough to learn that stuff, if you don't feel comfortable then learn the stuff you don't know. Idk how different 5.2 is to 5.3 as I have never done 5.2 or 5.1 but some ppl in my advanced class who weren't in 5.3 were and still are struggling. It may be a problem of not knowing the basics which you can fix pretty easily especially since you're thinking of studying this early.

sami90210

HSC
You should look at what you will be doing in Y11 to see if you know enough to learn that stuff, if you don't feel comfortable then learn the stuff you don't know. Idk how different 5.2 is to 5.3 as I have never done 5.2 or 5.1 but some ppl in my advanced class who weren't in 5.3 were and still are struggling. It may be a problem of not knowing the basics which you can fix pretty easily especially since you're thinking of studying this early.
what did you focus on in year 11 ? did you start with surds and indices? because my school I think follows MiF EXT 1 for 2 unit which has a different syllabus compared to Cambridge

#RoadTo31Atar

HSC
what did you focus on in year 11 ? did you start with surds and indices? because my school I think follows MiF EXT 1 for 2 unit which has a different syllabus compared to Cambridge
I personally did almost nothing in Y11 math and only started studying in Y12, however, I managed to get caught up with all of Y11 content over 2 week holidays using edrolo (if ur school doesn't have it you can sign up and do the same thing I did over a few weeks to get ahead). So it is actually very easy if you try hard, I think the hardest stuff in Y11 2u would be differentiation and some probability questions can get tricky too. Differentiation is calculus stuff which you would have never seen in Y10 but all the other stuff should not be new. If you haven't already learned surds and indices in Y10, you should because it is very basic and if you don't know it you will lose marks all the time. There's also some trig stuff which gets pretty annoying but it is not hard and just needs practice, I found most of the questions to be quite similar e.g use formulas and draw diagrams. Compared to other subjects, 2u math isn't very difficult and I think that anyone can do well in it given that they put it in effort.

If u have any specific questions about topics I'd be glad to help

Etho_x

HSC
N/A
any advice for someone doing 5.2 math that's chosen advanced for year 11?
I’d suggest master what you’re learning about in class now, a lot of fundamental 5.2 concepts are needed in Math Advanced. There is some 5.3 concepts as well in Adv such as Logarithms and sketching Polynomials but I’d recommend to look at that stuff when you have the time like the holidays or something like that

mikikieko12

HSC
Uni Grad
You need to learn a lot of 5.3 concepts that will most likely not be covered in 5.2. That includes:
- graphing (parabola, hyperbola, circle, trig graphs, exponentials etc. If you have the Cambridge year 10 book then do all the chapters on graphing, this will help a lot in year 11)
- surds & indices
- trigonometry (sine rule, cosine rule, area of triangles etc)

These are prolly the main topics that you might need to study in your own time, as 5.3 has more harder concepts and topics compared to 5.2.
Like in year 11 advanced it will really benefit you if you master 5.3 graphing and arithmetic.

Also you will be fine as long as you do the extra work and catch up content for 5.3, also practice as much questions as possible, this will really allow you to develop you understanding and knowledge.
I was also in 5.2 in year 10 and honestly advanced is not at all as bad as people exaggerate it to be!
If you need any notes for 5.3 content from year 10 feel free to ask : )

sami90210

HSC
don't, just don't UNLESS you have a real interest for maths
I did 5.3 maths and chose standard and hated every second of it and dropped it as soon as i could.
i already chose it LOL and Im really passionate about math, i really felt like i was missing out on learning interesting topics by choosing standard 2
if i struggle i can just drop down in the 1st term i think

audreyy

HSC
hey ik this is kinda late lol sorry but i have a friend who moved up from 5.2 to 5.3, the main ones that she hadnt learnt were simplifying surds, trig stuff (sohcahtoa), quadratic expressions (binomial, monic and non-monic quadratic things, this was the main one) non linear basics like identifying circles, parabolas and exponential curves. We havent done logarithms yet so idk abt that. It might be good for you to look at the 5.3 textbook maybe? i can send a copy of mine if you want, i have the cambridge txtbook.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Can you get a tutor?

Otherwise use the Summer holidays/now to catch up on Years 5.3 9-10 content.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)