5 days until first exams, AND I JUST GOT GLANDULAR FEVER!!! help me, what do i do ? (1 Viewer)

dave197

HSC
as the title suggests, I’ve been so unlucky that 5 days before the H.S.C. starts I have got glandular fever, incase you don’t no, its the sorest throat you have ever had, times that by about 10 and you getting close to how I feel...

I was wondering if anyone could please give me some advice on what to do??? If I appeal or something similar what is my situation going to be?? Do I have any chance getting into the uni course I desperately want??? Please help me, anyone’s input is appreciated

:worried:

dave197

HSC
Re: 5 days until first exams, AND I JUST GOT GLANDULAR FEVER!!! help me, what do i do

please someone help, im really starting to get very woried

emily2005

HSC
N/A
um i guess ur best option is to call your school tom and talk to ur year advisor bout ur situation. I am sure they will do they best they can to help you out

dougal

HSC
Let your school know a couple of days before the first exam and ask for their opinion. It's best that you show up, and then decide right before whether to sign an illness/misadventure. My advice is definately to show up, then ask for advice from year coordinater about illness/misadventure and if you do choose to sit the exam then consider an appeal if you think your performance was badly compromised. Remembering that appeals don't take into account missed preparation time, only how you are at the exam time. I'm pretty sure, anyway. Cheers, hope you feel better

Tim035

HSC
My advice: Stop kissing girls.. lol jks jks

I had glandular fever just after the half yearlies and yeah it really really sux. The worse though I've found though is it ran down my immune system, so I can't afford to even go out with friends till like 11ish pm as I'll wake up in the morning extremely sick and will then walk around like a zombie for the next week due to tiredness.

If its obstructing your study which is sounds like it is, definatly seek out an appeal to the boardofstudies.

dave197

HSC
Re: 5 days until first exams, AND I JUST GOT GLANDULAR FEVER!!! help me, what do i do

It is definitly going to be a struggle; I really needed this last week to get all my English essays down pat, my ancient history content covered etc... This is the worst possible timing... im scared that if i do the exam and appeal, i will still receive lousy a lousy mark. A friend of mine appealed the ancient history trial exam and when his exam came back he received something like 4 extra marks?? Im also scared that if I don’t do the exam and my trial results are what my marks will be based on, I may not get the 65 or above I need to do graphic design at UWS... this is really getting me down... does anyone know how the appeals work, what they base the mark they give you on? How sick you are? How serious it is? Thanks alot for your help.

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC

http://boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/manuals/specialexamprovisions.html

The due date is always the last day of Term 1, except for applications based on chronic fatigue syndrome, post-viral syndrome, Ross river fever or glandular fever, which should be submitted in July of the examination year, with teacher comments and medical documentation also dated July.
were you sick in July?

dave197

HSC

Ive just started the peak of the glandular fever symptoms in the last couple days. Today being the worst... just skimming over that special provisions link, I don’t think any of those provisions would help my situation. Doctor recommended pain killers to fight the extremely painful symptoms, and in case anyone here hasn’t been on pain killers before, they leave u very "wacked out", slight decrease in pain, but your basically a walking zombie... I don’t know what I meant to do. Are students with medical circumstances allowed to miss examinations?

DonnaLily

HSC

dave197 said:
Are students with medical circumstances allowed to miss examinations?
I don't think so. I have a learning disability / sight problem and I still have to sit the exams. My sight's classified as severe [by doctors] and I'd assume Glandular Fever would have the same classification.

My only advice is to do what others have mentioned - turn up to exams and appeal if you think you did badly cause of Gladular Fever. And talk to your Year Co-ordinator [or equivelent] and see what they reccomend you do.

Good luck, & get better soon.
xx

nic56

Sheep Station (farm 4city ppl) 50 km NW of Wentwor
HSC
I am feeling really sorry for you at the moment. if u put in an illness appeal u will receive your assessment marks twice. if u got 80 for your school assessment mark then that would also become your exam mark. My cousin came down with glandular fever two weeks before the end of last term and he is going to put in a illness apeal. i recommend you put one in and also sit the exams.

dave197

HSC

ok im really starting to feel down about this...

if i do the exam, and appeal, and they give me my assesment marks do you guys think i have any chance of a 65 or above to get into graphic design at UWS

my marks are:

Visual Arts: 72 rank: 4/19
English Std: 54 rank: 47/118
Ancient History: 54 rank: 8/9
Maths General: 52 rank: 22/64
I.T. Vet: 75 rank:?

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
Call the Advice Line? The teacher you speak to might have an idea of what to do.

ambidextrouscal

Learning to be Witty
HSC
I know what your going through ... kinda ... i busted my knee 2 days ago and might have to have surgery ... kinda sucks leading up to exams ...

dave197

HSC

its horrible, i really feel so tired that i cant study, i will not be confident walking into the exams without this next week full of study.. and if this continues i really dont know wats going to happen

Last edited:

dave197

HSC

ooh and ambidextrouscal sorry to hear about your knee, my mate just had a knee reconstruction, very painful stuff, how unlucky is it though...13 years of school leading up to this, and a week before shit like this happens, and im sure there a heaps of people all over australia in the same position as us...
vbmenu_register("postmenu_2586584", true);

dave197

HSC

so anyone know if i have a chnace of a uai of 65 or above , based on those marks :confused:

VeLdOg

HSC
hey mate...

i just got a second dose of glandular fever last week... so bad hey...

i no some information on how to getextra marks on it

if u have already had glandular fever before like in yr 11 u cant get any misadventure becasue they believe u shouldn't even attempt the hsc if u have a preknowledge of illness... hence why i cant get misadventure :mad1:

if u have a breakout of glandular fever during ur exams however u can get misadventure however it is best u sit ur exams if u wish to get 65^.. because ur trial marks are not looking that good for 65^ u will have to perform better in ur exams but u can apply n get 4extra marks ontop of ur UAI...

this is the best advice i can give you...

so sit ur exams n apply for the four extra marks... if u pass ur exams u should be right for 65....

hope u feel better i no what ur going through....

gemrism

HSC
You poor thing, hope you get better.
Could i please just ask how do you know if you have glandular fever?
I'd really like to know the symptoms...

dave197

HSC

when you say that your not able to sit for the hsc, does this mean my uai will be based apon my overall marks so far, my trial marks?? will they add for the fact that most people do perform better in the real hsc compared to the trials?

this just seems to be getting worse and worse...can u appeal not getting into a uni course, eg, my goal is to do the graphics course at UWS because i really want to become a graphic design artist, im not doing bad in art, ranked 4 in a very competitive class.. my hsc major artwork is a graphic design piece.. i recieved a band 6 mark from school, still waiting for the BOS mark.. any chance on them taking this into account?

on another note

What are the symptoms of glandular fever?

• Before the disease breaks out, one to two weeks may pass with symptoms that are similar to those of flu.

• A sore throat with swollen tonsils that are heavily covered by a white coating.

• Fever.

• Severe fatigue.

• Muscle pains.

• Headache.

• Tendency to sweat.

• Stomach pains and there may be signs of an enlargement of the spleen.

• Swollen and sore lymph nodes in the throat, armpits and the groin.

• The liver may become enlarged and yellow jaundice may develop.

• There may be a rash.
for those who havent had it, the best way i can describe it would be about 10 time worse than your average tonsilitis case, or sore throat... its extreamly hard to swallow, can barley eat, zombied out..can be hard to breath, because your tonsiles are that swelled up.. your voice changed during the peak of pain due to your thoat being so closed up.. in short its horrible and i wouldnt wish it on anyone, esspecially 5 days before hsc exams.. :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)