6 hours of classes - realistic??? (1 Viewer)

17theorm

HSC
Hey guys, so i'm just creating my timetable for first year engineering and the four subjects i have are MATH1131, PHYS1121, ENGG1000 and Mman1300 (engineering mechanics) and the only way i can avoid clashes is by having 6 straight hours of classes - a one hour Mman lecture, then a 2 hour Mman tut, and then a 3 hour ENGG 1000 lecture - is this realistic?? Is having 6 hours straight considered normal or will i be half dead come the ENGG1000 lecture? Also i'm assuming the only way to avoid this is by choosing a different combination of courses this semester???

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Depends. Some people can take 6 hours straight. Note you have a 10-minute or so break between classes, which can be enough for you to recharge. Only one way to find out though, because it is a personal thing.

17theorm

HSC
Do you know if i'm allowed to change classes say a week or two into the semester?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Do you know if i'm allowed to change classes say a week or two into the semester?
Enrolment closes about two or three weeks into semester. But then again, you're subject to full classes and spaces available.

D94

HSC
N/A
Um, you can't be doing MMAN1300 for first year because MATH1131 and PHYS1121 are both prerequisites, not corequisites (unless I've missed something).

TheStallion

HSC
MATH1231 is a coreq for MMAN1300 as well. Fail timetabling much, you wouldn't have even been able to enrol in it.

6 hours in a row is pretty shit, seen worse though. Can just skip pointless crap anyway

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
I think most tutorials (and lab periods) alternate each week. One week on, one week off. I have 7 hours straight scheduled on Thursday (11AM-6PM).

TheStallion

HSC
Almost nothing in eng alternates one week on one week off in first year except some MATS1101 stuff and PHYS homework tutes. Think ENGG1000 does occasionally, but it's group projecty shit.

JayCakie

HSC
I have a 5 hour day, which would be 6 hours - but I have a 1 hour break in the middle. (And then I have a 4 day weekend, oh yeah.)

It really depends on the individual wether or not they find 6 hour days suitable. I mean high school was give or take 6 hours long. (I know high school is now where near as demanding as university but still).

Also if you're doing the course you want then shouldn't really have that much of an issue about it. University is for learning and if this is your dream course then I see no problem with 6 hours a day. However I realise that it can be demanding + there is a shitload of work have to do for engineering and my friends used to complain about the rigidness of the course last year. The were in the same boat as you last year so I guess I can empathise at some level.

Just see how it's like and if the 6 hour day is too much - see if you can get your clashes approved.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)