• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

90+ atar and first rank without tutoring? (2 Viewers)

jane1820

HSC
yea ofc 90+ i know people who are going to get 99+ without tutoring and are rank 1 in many subjects
Do u mind sharing their study schedule if yk? Bc im aiming to do so without tutoring but literally not sure what to do/start

academic_reaper

HSC
Is it possible?
It's safer to secure a 99 with tutoring. Some people ik r just smart, they don't study, and yet they are topping class (top 5). Others that are in top 3 got tutored from different centres.

My point? While some people might naturally excel academically without much effort, many others rely on tutoring to secure top results, such as a 99 ATAR, Essentially, tutoring can level the playing field and provide a more secure path to academic success.

Either ways, gl!

StudyNotesTips

HSC
N/A
Is it possible?
Yes, it is possible to achieve a score of 90+ ATAR and attain first rank without tutoring. Many students have succeeded through self-study, effective time management, and a strong commitment to their studies. Here are some tips that could help you reach that goal:

1. Create a Study Schedule: Organize your time effectively to cover all subjects. Break down topics into manageable sections and allocate specific times for each.
  2. Utilize Quality Resources: Use textbooks, online resources, past exam papers, and study guides. Websites like Khan Academy and various educational platforms can provide additional explanations and practice problems.
  3. Focus on Understanding: Aim to understand concepts rather than just memorizing them. This deeper understanding will help you apply knowledge in different contexts and improve retention.
  4. Practice Regularly: Regularly solve past exam questions and practice papers. This helps familiarize you with the exam format and types of questions asked.
  5. Form Study Groups: Collaborate with classmates to discuss topics, share resources, and explain concepts to each other. Teaching is a great way to reinforce your understanding.
  6. Seek Feedback: Regularly ask your teachers for feedback on your work. Understanding your strengths and weaknesses will help you focus your study efforts.
  7. Stay Healthy: Maintain a balanced lifestyle with proper nutrition, exercise, and sleep. Mental and physical well-being can significantly impact your study efficiency.
  8. Stay Motivated: Set realistic goals, celebrate your progress, and remind yourself of your long-term aspirations. Staying motivated can help you push through challenges.
  9. Use Study Techniques: Experiment with different study techniques (e.g., active recall, spaced repetition, mind mapping) to find what works best for you.
  10. Stay Organized: Keep your notes, assignments, and resources well organized to save time and reduce stress.
By maintaining a disciplined approach and leveraging effective study strategies, achieving a high ATAR and ranking well is entirely attainable!

jonolad69

Banned
HSC
Do u mind sharing their study schedule if yk? Bc im aiming to do so without tutoring but literally not sure what to do/start
depends what subjects u do mate

honestly doing the difficult subjects like chem, physics, mx1/2, economics will be pretty hard without tutoring, not impossible tho.. you can do well anyways obviously without it

shoulfer

HSC
I really have no clue but I know that they spam past papers and pay a lot of attention in class

spiderfan44

HSC
yea. first rank is a bit harder depending on what school u go to and the subjects u do. tutoring def helps but its possible to do well without it. make sure you ask your teachers for feedback, some will be more willing to give it on samples then others, and especially note assessment feedback

Demons

HSC
Is it possible?
depends if you're willing to outwork your peers, what I did to get 1st in 4 of my subjects was to literally grind out the entire courses in the summer holidays of year 12, so that by the time they got to it in class, I already revised it 3 or 4 times before that, letting me to beat the rest of my cohort by 10 to 30% in the assessments and trials.

nonya2000

Banned
HSC
yeah def tutoring only really just gives u the chance to know the topics earlier before in school classes. you can do the same thing by downloading a pdf of the textbooks and self-teach but it would be a bit harder i think but def possible
Exactly, I've been saying this to others all the time. This not only is more effective, free and time efficient, it prepares you for uni to where you self study most topics too.

liamkk112

HSC
Is it possible?
yea i didn’t go to tutoring and ranked 1st in everything but physics where i was 2nd. tutoring is basically just encouragement to study and/or extra resources to get ahead, as long as you independently study you’re fine. it’s obviously harder in a selective school because it’s more competitive but again if you’re putting in the work yourself you don’t really need tutoring (thsc, textbook and youtube exists)

jane1820

HSC
Ok so im getting (after i read everyones notes) that if i study hard (starting during the summer holidays - self teach myself) and do a lot of practise papers it would be all good?
fyi these r my subjects in order of least worried abt to most worried abt (in terms of ranks, studying)
arabic continuers
adv math
economics (not rlly willing to continue w this i just chose it to do 6 subjects)
chem
adv eng (i hate eng tbh i dont think ill be allowed to continue adv bc my eng skills r shit - respectfully)
ext 1 math
physics (tbh idk if i want to do this or just replace it w bio - i hate bio but seeing how everyone is struggling badly w physics i might need to recosider)

so what do u guys think?

spiderfan44

HSC
Ok so im getting (after i read everyones notes) that if i study hard (starting during the summer holidays - self teach myself) and do a lot of practise papers it would be all good?
fyi these r my subjects in order of least worried abt to most worried abt (in terms of ranks, studying)
arabic continuers
adv math
economics (not rlly willing to continue w this i just chose it to do 6 subjects)
chem
adv eng (i hate eng tbh i dont think ill be allowed to continue adv bc my eng skills r shit - respectfully)
ext 1 math
physics (tbh idk if i want to do this or just replace it w bio - i hate bio but seeing how everyone is struggling badly w physics i might need to recosider)

so what do u guys think?
i think you could crack a 90+ atar without tutoring, i think ranking 1st in every subject would be harder though, especially if youre in a large cohort

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)