A Clockwork Orange appreciation (1 Viewer)

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
Managed to catch this on SBS a few weeks ago and thought it was brilliant.
Sick and twisted movie, a true Stanley Kubrick of course!
I really loved the language he uses, classic!

shady_03

Sue me....
HSC
Yeah its a pretty good movie, complex and stuff the 1st time i watched it. The abrupt ending kinda pissed me off but

INXS

King For A Day
HSC
My fav bit would have to be; When he is touching the big penis statue, and then he starts fighting the woman with it, and in the end, accidently kills her with it, lol.

HellVeN

Banned
HSC
Uhgh. Sure it might have been violent when it came out but how can you claim that it is violent when you compare it to today's standards. Some people really need to see more movies. I hate people that are so sensitive as to say that they found ACO's imagery disturbing. Go to rotten or watch some real movie or something jesus, anything to desensitise you a bit...

I thought ACO was a nice movie, I really liked their vernacular and I loved the music. But that was about it. I don't think it was particularly special - some parts drag on too much. Quite watchable though. The actual frontal nudity (also short) was a plus too. Lol notice how in all these old movies the chicks have so much beaver and stuff hahaha?

X

xeuyrawp

tiney225 said:
How awesome is this movie! Stanley Kubrick is such a genius and i believe this is his best work..
Agreed, agreed, and disagreed, respectively (and with great respect:p)

2001 is definitely his best movie, and I've always loved the Kmeister. Did you know that Apollo 11's crew's space suits were actually changed due to the suits in 2001?

ACO is fantastic everytime I watch it. Anyone have imput as to the title?

sarevok

HSC
This is my favourite movie and the book is great as well.

Burgess said the title refers to the application of a mechanistic morality to something organic. 'Orange' is also similar to 'Orang', which I think is the Malaysian (??) word for man (Burgess spent time in Malaysia). It also alludes to the old phrase 'as queer as a clockwork orange'.

HSC
Grobus said:
Thats no reason to rat on a film. There is a real art to converting a book into a screenplay. Different things work with differently on each medium. Take the LOTR films - they managed to strike a perfect balance of bringing out a story faithfully to the book but also changing it enough to make it play as a cohesive film.
They left the last chapter out of the film!! There wasn't any redemption...

For me, that meant the film didn't have enough closure. Still a good film though.

HSC
Don't get me wrong I'm not saying this makes the movie bad or anything, I don't have an opinion on it cos I haven't seen it.
I just thought this website I found when doing an assignment on media effects was interesting in an immensly sickening and disturbing sort of way.
the media made them do it

EXTRACT:
After the release of Stanley Kubrick’s film A Clockwork Orange in England, young men were seen marauding the streets dressed like the ultraviolent "droogs" in the film. A 16-year-old boy said to be "obsessed" with the movie was convicted and sentenced after he kicked a 60-year-old to death. Another 16-year-old–dressed as the star of the film, in white overalls, a black bowler hat, and combat boots–savagely beat a younger child. And a 17-year-old Dutch girl was raped while camping by a gang who chanted, "Singin’ in the Rain." (Vincent LoBrutto, Stanley Kubrick: A Biography, 1996)

Miss Wendy

HSC
I read somewhere that Stanley left out the last chapter because -either the english or the american version (I cant remember which one Stanley read) - finished as the movie did. It's all a little hazy, its been a while since I looked it up.

But I thought the actuall last chapter, where Alex suddenly realises the 'error of his ways' was a bit of a cop out. i prefer the movie ending.

sarevok

HSC
I remember reading some where that Kubrick left out the last chapter on purpose. Kubrick was a big fan of ambiguous endings.

Rojc01

HSC
A Clockwork Orange was a mad movie by Stanley (love his use of music). alsoa fan of his other work like full metal jacket and The Shinning. i somehow consider these old movies (15+ years old. A clockwork orange was released in 1972) to be a lot better then the current movies being released. A old film like THe Shinning is certainly better then shit like Star Wars 1 & 2 (epi 456 were better) and Constantine. Can't believe i paid money to watch that crap.

i have noticed the simpsons have incorporated his movies (or sections of it) into their humour. for example the episode when homer goes into space, Kubricks "2001" a space oddessy was 'copied'. also a holloween special full copying the Shinning. also coping a clockwork orange is the simpsons episode when lisa tests if bart is smarter then a hamster, homer tells bart to get a couple of cupcakes for school, bart is afraid of the cupcakes due to be zaped byit earlier and falls to the floor similar to when the guy couldnt touch the ladys breasts because he was 'cured'.

there are many many more, FIND THEM!

olay

HSC
HellVeN said:
Uhgh. Sure it might have been violent when it came out but how can you claim that it is violent when you compare it to today's standards. Some people really need to see more movies. I hate people that are so sensitive as to say that they found ACO's imagery disturbing. Go to rotten or watch some real movie or something jesus, anything to desensitise you a bit...
i feel like a frigid or something having reacted this way to it, but i couldn't stomach more than the first 30 mins of ACO. granted, no film has ever had that impact on me before in terms of violence... and it's annoying because i'm curious as to how it develops [though what i watched, i found boring. but i think it's just because no real plot had developed - it was just a series of rampages].

i think it's far more violent in comparison to current standards b/c it's so physical, whereas what u see today mainly involves weaponary. it's barbaric. and so malicious. and it's disturbing in itself that you are unaffected by it.

btw 'real' movies don't necessarily = violent movies.and for the record, rotten has no effect on me.

demosthenes

Executive Sardine
HSC
Rojc01 said:
A Clockwork Orange was a mad movie by Stanley (love his use of music). alsoa fan of his other work like full metal jacket and The Shinning. i somehow consider these old movies (15+ years old. A clockwork orange was released in 1972) to be a lot better then the current movies being released. A old film like THe Shinning is certainly better then shit like Star Wars 1 & 2 (epi 456 were better) and Constantine. Can't believe i paid money to watch that crap.

i have noticed the simpsons have incorporated his movies (or sections of it) into their humour. for example the episode when homer goes into space, Kubricks "2001" a space oddessy was 'copied'. also a holloween special full copying the Shinning. also coping a clockwork orange is the simpsons episode when lisa tests if bart is smarter then a hamster, homer tells bart to get a couple of cupcakes for school, bart is afraid of the cupcakes due to be zaped byit earlier and falls to the floor similar to when the guy couldnt touch the ladys breasts because he was 'cured'.

there are many many more, FIND THEM!
How about the simpsons episode (once again taking from ACO) when Santas Little Helper runs away and is taken in for guard dog training by burns, and his eyes are taped open etc. and horrific images are shown, but instead of holocausts etc. it is dogs getting bashed, hit in the face with frisbees and stuff???
Classic!

demosthenes

Executive Sardine
HSC
By the way I know I have triple posted (sorry) but i just have to say that the book of ACO is way better than the still amazingly fantastic film version. Check it out, if you can.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)