A Feast For Crows - George RR Martin (1 Viewer)

Kabeio

k.
HSC
Just finished reading this book,

What did everyone else think of it???

I thought it was much poorer than martins previous books in the series, i also wasnt too fond of the Brienne chapters found them rather boring

sarevok

HSC
Yeah I didn't like it that much either. I think the absence of Tyrion and Davos and the fact that Brienne and Sam - the two most boring characters - had the most chapters really hurt this book. With that said, Martin is still the best fantasy writer alive these days

billbro

HSC
N/A
So what did you guys think of it overall? Still worth the read? I was about to buy it since I thought the previous novels were brilliant but decided against it since I haven't even finished the latest Wheel of Time novel. However if it is worthwhile, I'll most likely buy it since I originally intended to.

sarevok

HSC
it's still an enjoyable read, i think and worth the purchase. there's still soem classic martin in there, in particular the jaime chapters are fantastic. but eyah, don't go into it expecting anything of the quality of the previous books, because unfortunately you will come away disappointed =\

Kabeio

k.
HSC
yeh couldnt agree more, hopefully the next half of this book which should include many of the most popular characters will be just as entertaining as all his previous books. i particularly enjoyed the cersei and jaime chapters though.

Aznpsycho

Supplies!
HSC
N/A
Jaime has easily become the best character in the book. After all, from the start of the series, he was just some amoral asshole who fucks his sister and attacks people for little reason at all. Now, he's an amoral asshole who gets things done without bloodshed and is actually looking out for the little guys.

Much love for Tyrion and that barefooted Septon as well.

I see a new and unhappy theocracy being imposed by the Faith in one or two books time. Cersei really REALLY screwed up.

It's a pity nothing happened on a 'Red Wedding' scale though. Also, Brienne is probably not dead. After all, a good third of the book is about her, and it would be rather silly for her to simply be killed off with no real implications.

I do not see the Night's Watch surviving the next two books.

sarevok

HSC
yeah, jaime is definitely one of the series' best characters, though i would say that stannis is the best character in the books.

as for the faith, yeah, very interesting plot twist. quite reminiscent of the inquisitions - i guess that's martin again weaving in medieval history. looks like the iron bank of braavos is becoming increasingly important too, which may explain illyrio's motives.

the brienne cliffhanger was quite lame indeed - i see no reason why martin would kill her off, so the whole cliffhanger is useless. martin in fact uses that device overmuch.

Kabeio

k.
HSC
yeh the brienne chapters were one the most boring in the book, the final word she shouts out should help keep her alive for the next book, but if left to me shes better left dead hehe

anarchron

HSC
I remember how I used to skip blocks of chapters in the previous books just to read about specific characters, namely Jon, Arya, Theon and Eddard.

Whilst it's good to have a wide variety of characters that help bring out the realism in the series, it also causes it to become unfocused and slow paced.

Lainee

HSC
No way, I really like the skipping between different perspectives because it really gives you insight to how each character thinks and feels. Like Tyrion, boy did I misjudge him, but I love that he gets to show his point of view.

ASoIaF is probably one of my fav. fantasy reads but I have a feeling George R. R. Martin is going down the same track as Robert Jordan with his novels getting long and drawn out and really unwieldy. I liked all the books before Feast for Crows, and I have to say it's the worst one he's written so far. Hopefully the next is better.

sarevok

HSC
anarchron said:
Whilst it's good to have a wide variety of characters that help bring out the realism in the series, it also causes it to become unfocused and slow paced.
i like how he does it actually, with the different povs, because the different narrations and events help keep the interest up in the story. i do tend to skip daneary's chapters though, because she's annoying.

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
Somewhere over the rainbow... yes, that rainbow.
HSC
sarevok said:
i like how he does it actually, with the different povs, because the different narrations and events help keep the interest up in the story. i do tend to skip daneary's chapters though, because she's annoying.
i read the first two a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed them, but haven't kept going (yet) because i found it very full on and very intricate - i guess i'll get to the other books sooner or later, but how would people say they compare to the first two?

anarchron

HSC
Who is everyone's favourite character?

Mine's Jon Snow. I have a feeling he'll end up being the main protagonist for the next few books.

Lainee

HSC
I have to say I really do like the Tyrion chapters, I love his cunning wit and he's the most complex and interesting character.

I think I may grow to like Arya as well, depending on her role in the next book.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/ - Song of Ice and Fire Forum. I've been hovering around there waiting for the MUSH to open. :cool: I surprise myself with my nerdiness at times. :shy:

Kabeio

k.
HSC
yeah, tyrion is one of my favourite characters, his unpredictable personality is interesting, as well jaimes change to a much more moral character is also quite intriguing

sarevok

HSC
anarchron said:
Who is everyone's favourite character?
my favs are stannis and theon...i like the characters who have many shades of grey, hehe

mervvyn said:
i read the first two a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed them, but haven't kept going (yet) because i found it very full on and very intricate - i guess i'll get to the other books sooner or later, but how would people say they compare to the first two?
the third book is the best imo. it's the one that really got me hooked on the series. the fourth isn't so great

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)